Back to School 1930

I know I could have (probably should have) posted this in the Photos forum, but I thought it was too good for that often overlooked spot.  The County Historical Society sent me this today...Looks like those kids on the end will need to really hang on! 

Here's Mr. Schmidt, Sonoma's first school bus driver, with his custom-built 1924 Ford truck full of students ready to head home, circa 1930.

May be an image of 2 people, car and text

• Like 10

That’s a great photo and an opportunity for others to add to this thread with similar.  I walked to grade school and didn’t ride a bus until high school in 1966.  The famous yellow bus with a standard transmission and a driver who had trouble with shifting the manual gearbox without grinding.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TerryB said:

That’s a great photo and an opportunity for others to add to this thread with similar.  I walked to grade school and didn’t ride a bus until high school in 1966.  The famous yellow bus with a standard transmission and a driver who had trouble with shifting the manual gearbox without grinding.

I also walked or rode my bicycle, but my parents always sent me to summer school which was farther away and so I took the typical yellow school bus. There was a place on the route that was a rail road crossing which was slightly elevated but the tracks had been removed years before. The bus driver would announce "If you kids are good this morning, we'll go over the bump real fast for fun!" Kids in the last seats would really fly! Probably not OK today! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Our usual bus driver was a guy named Earl, when he missed a gear the guys would shout “grind us another pound of hamburger Earl!”.  I don’t think he appreciated our humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

How many of you drove a school bus as a high school student?

Not sure when Virginia stopped using student bus drivers but I drove one my senior year, 1973-74. 

I started out driving the same 1963 Ford bus I rode all through grade school. It was showing its miles by that time. Had to get the kid riding the front passenger seat to hold the shifter in high gear going up long grades to keep it from popping out of gear, and there were several of those on my route. You can imagine vacuum wipers going up those long grades.

I got a new International bus after Christmas break and it was so nice compared to the Ford. I had a dentist appointment one afternoon so the substitute driver took the afternoon route. The substitute forgot to release the hand brake when she left the high school, and burned the back brakes off that new bus that had been in service less than two weeks. 

I got home that afternoon and there was old Bus 69 waiting for me. Took the bus garage 3 weeks to fix the International.

• Like 4

During elementary school our bus driver was a farmers wife. She was maybe 4' tall at the most. There were wooded blocks attached to the pedals. My next door neighbors mom worked in the office of the high school and I rode with them most of the time until I got my license. I probably rode the bus to school, grade 7-12 no more than a dozen times.

• Like 1

I never rode a school bus daily. 

Always walked or got a ride with someone. 

We lived one tenth of a mile short of the area needed for bus rides.

• Like 1

I attended a small high school in the late 1950's that had only one school bus. It was a WWII war surplus REO that was used to transport the athletic teams and their equipment to away games. On one trip home after a track meet, on a long down hill grade, the brakes gave out. Our coach/driver kept his cool as long as he could but then, on a long straight away, he decided to steer the bus into the bushes and trees lining the hill on the side of the road to slow the momentum. Luckily for all aboard, the manuever worked and finally stopped us safely. The poor bus was scraped and dented but stayed upright the whole time. It took hours to contact parents to retrieve the team and equipment. We never saw that old bus again, but with any luck, it lived on with a bunch of hippies through the 1960's.

8bca5ffa3992367057b1a57e474054d3.jpg?resize=600%2C477&ssl=1

Edited by Dave Wells (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I'm the oldest of seven. We lived right across the street from our school (St. Anastasia School in Waukegan, IL) so we were allowed to go home for lunch. It was just the opposite for high school. My (late) brother Tom and I had to attend an all boys Catholic high school 15 miles away in Mundelein. Our bus driver's name was Mack and the bus company was Ritzenthaler. Did any of you guys ever get slapped, punched, whipped with a belt or beaten on the rear end with a long paddle by a teacher or coach? I did. Maybe that's why I didn't like high school too much. LOL....

Just a regular ole public elementary school. But our principal had a large paddle that he would use. Some got it more than others, LOL. I was never paddled but had to do the 'bear walk' around the perimeter of the school. One time was enough, stayed on the straight and narrow after that. At least until HS.

Never rode a school bus -

Elementary - walked 2 blocks

High School - walked nearly 1.5 miles each way first 3 years, but then got my license and my red 10 year old $75.00 1949 Pontiac convertible

Junior High - rode choice of 2 different private bus companies, but still had almost 1.5 miles to walk each way

In the unincorporated town where I live now, the first public school  the teacher picked up the students in her 1941 Plymouth sedan.

I can't find the copy of the photo of her car loaded with about 6 kids

Electric power and telephone were first run in 1963.

• Like 2

"At Last The 1948 Show" featured (left to right) Tim Brook-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, and Marty Feldman.  Cleese and Chapman went on to do Monty Python.  Feldman is probably best known in the US for his brilliant portrayal of Igor in "Young Frankenstein."

• Like 1

Couldn't open Leif's photo.   We lived 1.9 miles from the school and rode my bicycle most of the 8 years in Valley Road School and walked when the bike was broken.   I saw Albert Einstein many days when I walked thru the Institute For Advanced Studies Campus in Princeton

NJ.   Now, 70 years later, I look like him.   (Great minds Look Alike)

Post Script:   After posting this I remembered riding the bus when I would get on the bus with a friend  going to the neighborhood .just outside the 2 mile limit, and walk back home.    Worked best on rain or snow days.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added Post Script (see edit history)
  • Like 1