looking at a Packard 4 dr convertible sedan. it has a divider window . dont think I can feel comfortable in it. can this be moved?

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to looking at a Packard 4 dr convertible sedan. it has a divider window . dont think I can feel comfortable in it. can this be moved?

Paul hit up Dave Mitchell - he is here on occasion but always on fb.  He will know what your options are.

Have you tried it yet?  28 -29 Model As for example are notoriously tight, especially the pick ups but there is always a tall guy who says it's not an issue.  If you like the car maybe it's worth trying it on for size

• Like 3

I sort of noticed the same thing when I got my 1940 Buick Century Phaeton (convertible sedan) . I also noticed the seat has me sitting up higher and straighter when I drive .  After a bit, I hardly think about it.  I got used to it.  It is just a different feeling of getting used to an eighty-four year old car.  The thing didn't come with a six-way power seat and tilt wheel back then .   I am 5’11 and have the waist that comes with it!   

Go for it, you’ll look good in it.

in further thinking,  try it a couple times   You have to be able to drive it.  If I don’t drive the vette for awhile, I don’t like it.  Then if I go back to driving it, it’s a better experience.  I like the idea other people have had about getting a shop to take out some padding or springs in the seat area.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I agree try it out. Trying to remove a division window will be  major project . Regarding the 40 Buick - the Roadmaster series 71c conv sedan shared body components and hardware with the Cadillac model 62. I believe the same was done in 1941. I am 6 feet 1 inch and long in leg and have no issue driving my 40 Roadmaster conv sedan. What model /series is the Packard you are looking at? the 6 cylinder and the Super 8 probably do not share the same body shell/seats etc.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Divider window cars are always problematic for taller drivers. I'm 5'10" and I fit in most cars, but my 1941 Buick with a divider is a little tight even for me. To solve it, I actually sit on a 4-inch thick black boat cushion to raise me up a bit. This isn't to sit taller (although it is better visibility-wise) but rather to change the geometry of my legs and the pedals so it's far more comfortable. That might be an option if the fit of this Packard is otherwise tolerable. But if you just don't fit no matter what you do, I'd say the car probably won't make you happy and you won't look forward to driving it.

• Like 3

I wonder if this OP knows that the Packard Motor Car Company made more than one car with a divider window.  If he would do a little research, he would find they did make more than one (the one he is considering)......in fact...they made more than a couple...of different years...body styles...and how the divider window was set up.  

Just so other readers who also may not know that the Packard Motor Car Company made more than one car with a divider window,  here, as an example of the point I am trying to make.... is a photo of the interior of my '38  Twelve.  Note the divider window can be completely retracted,  and thus is not an issue for tall guys like me....!

PACKARD INTERIOR 5-18-21.jpg

It can be moved if you want to spend a crazy amount of money.

Post a picture of the front seat.  Many times when stuff gets redone they overstuff the seat.  There could be an easy 2 to 2.5 inches of extra stuffing in there.

• Like 3

Remember the seat back and divider are STRUCTURAL……even with an experienced professional you will gain minimal room. Also almost every convertible sedan is on the short or medium chassis. I’m 6’1” and most convertible sedans are too tight for me. In forty years of collecting it’s the only post style I have never owned. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Remember the seat back and divider are STRUCTURAL……even with an experienced professional you will gain minimal room. Also almost every convertible sedan is on the short or medium chassis. I’m 6’1” and most convertible sedans are too tight for me. In forty years of collecting it’s the only post style I have never owned. 

Glad to see you back, Your Worship.  I trust we will see you at the Pierce meet after you finish pontificating at Pebble.  You're in charge of keeping @BobinVirginia well-watered!

As to the subject at hand, some taller owners (I'm certainly not in that group) have some stuffing removed from the driver's seat back.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Only way to know for sure us do sit in it BEFORE you buy it.    I'm your size+ and find my feet a Knees to be tight in a lot of cars.

• Like 1

As Ed pointed out, the bracing from B-pillar to B-pillar in a convertible sedan is a critical structural member of the body, whether fitted with a partition window or not.  It keeps the door alignment stable, provides strength to allow the body to function properly.  Mess with it at your own peril. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Grimy said:

Glad to see you back, Your Worship.  I trust we will see you at the Pierce meet after you finish pontificating at Pebble.  You're in charge of keeping @BobinVirginia well-watered!

As to the subject at hand, some taller owners (I'm certainly not in that group) have some stuffing removed from the driver's seat back.

Looking forward to it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From a practical standpoint, it sounds as if

a car with limited legroom should be avoided,

not cut up and modified.  It's much the same

situation as a tall person not buying a tiny

sports car if he doesn't fit.

In this wide hobby, there are plenty of other

models and body styles that should suit his needs.  

• Like 3

Hi, owning and driving a '32 AWP Cadillac I has the same issues, solved this by altering the front backrest, shortening the springs and lessening the filling material .

It made a huge difference, from a cramped non driveable position, to a very acceptable one. Already used by Cadillac's as the picture shows, if you look at the backrest figures,

you find a factory possible ordering ,with a difference of 3 inches for the backrest. And that is a lot!  Do not know if this is possible with the Packard ,you are looking at............. 

JohanCadillacfrontseat.jpg.36d065dc625764aa6840528cf128ba18.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those cars were designed for a chauffeur who was still suffering the genetic affects of famine associated with the Napoleonic Wars. It is just a thing of those times. I am not real tall and notice cramped seating in old cars. A good friend once told me "if you can sit in the driver's seat, reach out , and touch the windshield with your had the car is too small. Pretty good rule of thumb. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

You can't move the seat but you can definitely lower the seat cushion and take padding out of the back rest.  You would be surprised how much a couple of inches in every direction helps.

Yes,I had to take padding out of the backrest on my ‘31 Pierce phaeton to fit better behind the wheel, I’m 6 feet tall (now that I have new knees!).  Right now you can partially see the spring outline through the leather, there’s so little padding.

I would suggest adding padding to cushion, or blocking it up a few inches, as that gives knees a better bend, as long as you have headroom.

Removing cushion padding would cause less legroom in relation to pedals.

I was admiring a 1930s Pierce town car once, with enclosed front driver compartment.  Owner said “see if you fit”.  Yes, I’m stocky, but I couldn’t even get in the car to sit down, it was so tight.

• Like 5

As much as it could be a great deal, I would have to think hard about buying a car that I marginally fit into, not to mention a comfort level whilst driving. Like mentioned above, if youre not comfortable driving it wont be long until the honeymoon is over and you simply wont drive it. 

A few years ago my brother wanted in the worse way to buy a Model A. He was fond of the roadsters or coupes. He joined a Model A club, and researched for at least a year. When the time came he went to a large meet. He ended up for the first time actually sitting in one of each, coupe, roadster, tudor, fordor, etc. He found he did not fit. His dream was dashed that day. 

• Like 3

Humans were smaller back then! At least us well fed older Americans are taller and wider now!😮😃😁

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The average stature of men in the 1930's was 5'7".  With better nutrition and health care, we gained a few inches height since then. But we're also "broader of beam" as the result of higher calorie diets.  Taller folks had a hard time fitting into cars then too.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2024 at 5:05 AM, alsancle said:

You can't move the seat but you can definitely lower the seat cushion and take padding out of the back rest.  You would be surprised how much a couple of inches in every direction helps.

When my 1936 GMC restoration was finished I hopped in the front seat and my first thought was that the upholster guys did not replicate my original seats as I thought I was sitting closer to the headliner and my gut was almost touching the steering wheel, I thought back 50 years ago when I bought the truck when I was 12 years old and I did not recall it being that tight😄
I discussed the issue with the restoration shop as I thought if we pull some of the layers of padding out I would fit better, however what they did is take the springs apart and trimmed them down in length , then put the padding back, it cost more of course to do it that way but what a difference, plenty of room and comfort nowIMG_1063.jpeg.4cb41ccd35093dd3525d29b41a38003c.jpegIMG_1469.jpeg.abece2a4a8d82eaab6f361f879664756.jpeghere is a 1936 GMC brochure showing what the seats looked like, we were fortunate to have the original seats and springs, we used this to guess at the designed seat height, if you look across to the drivers door  you can see the top of the seat lines up with ribbing on the door panel.  This picture was also helpful for reproducing the floor mat as none are available, we were lucky to find bulk rubber with ribs really close together.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2024 at 9:31 AM, 60FlatTop said:

A good friend once told me "if you can sit in the driver's seat, reach out , and touch the windshield with your had the car is too small. Pretty good rule of thumb. 

I think most Pre WWII cars had close windshields, dis-gard that rule of thumb.

0gard that rule of thumb.