I’m considering a 1938 Cadillac Series 65 4 door convertible - your thoughts on value and any historical problem areas with these cars

A '53 Packard. I have a real weak spot between the ears for '51-'54 Packards. About 6-8 years ago there was a stunning red 250 convertible on Ebay that I fell in love with. It triggered all the juices. I bought my ;64 Riviera when I was 29 years old, 75 now. I looked at that car and imagined a 29 year old buying it and how happy they would be in 40 or so years. I considered it but balked at the $25,000 it was selling for. Too many excuses. Funny thing is, I have purchased three of those $10,000 cars since. Shooda bought it.

I am not much of a price haggler. I know the market and figure the seller arrived at the price logically if it is in a range for my interest. At times when I don't have enough my favorite thing to do is find a porch step to sit on and after getting nice and comfy (as in letting the seller know it is going to a good home) I will ask "How did you arrive at your price?". That helps work to a good bond of honesty. A little deeper and I may ask what kind of immediate needs they have for the cash. A new roof, tree removal, landscaping, some debt, you never know what will come up. I can give you enough for that plus some extra. I did that once when hard drives were sold by the MEG. He ended up with a 1980s expensive 30 MEG drive, a washer and drier, and a night on the town for his wife. Sitting on a porch step you can do that stuff. But be careful, I made and offer like that 90 miles from home and drove all the way back hoping he wouldn't accept it. Carried away in the moment of conquest.

Acquisition, one of the great parts of the hobby. I am writing this from the workstation in my garage with toys at my side.

Shifting that Caddy is like sliding a hot knife through butter. There's another encouraging plus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMG_1491.jpeg.1e9e81daad341a8c7f324316e5b9d60f.jpegIMG_1490.jpeg.dd0dcd01a264da764c1e657e034239c7.jpegIMG_1487.jpeg.dfd46294ed0b06c3ad71f85fd4e43236.jpegThis is for you 60 FlatTop. Hope you enjoy!  I guess as the OP, I can hijack my own thread😀. You’re right about the Caddy shifting like a hot knife through butter. Pure joy

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CChinn said:

You’re right about the Caddy shifting like a hot knife through butter. Pure joy

Almost all the time.  That was the first year of column shift and that particular linkage design lasted at least through 1940.  VERY occasionally my 1939 would get hung up between 1st and 2nd.  In such a case, shut engine off, be sure the car is not being held by gears (i.e., depress clutch and let car roll an inch or two if it will, then apply parking brake). open hood, reach down and grab the shift levers off the steering column, and jiggle them up and down and it will free up.  I don't recall if there's a grease fitting on that underhood linkage (it's been 15 years, but my Jeepster has such a fitting) but if there is, that's a high priority fitting.

• Thanks 1

So many good comments here , especially Matt and AJ.  I couldn’t not, negotiate, but dont lowball him so much you insult him and loose the relationship.  If you miss out on this car, consider the prewar Buick Convertible sedans, especially the Century and bigger because they have the 320 engine and are great for touring.  I think it is a buyers market for this type of car and they are sooo roadworthy and can be had for less than you are looking at.  Plus, whenever I pull into a show in my ‘40 Century Phaeton, everybody notices!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Century Eight said:

I couldn’t not, negotiate,

Ever notice how a dog will growl at a stranger and people wonder what provoked him to do that.

I do that.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Ever notice how a dog will growl at a stranger and people wonder what provoked him to do that.

I do that.

I'm sure you do, Bernie....  🙂 

• Like 1

IMG_1519.jpeg.e985d57733abdfabfabddfbe9b40f51e.jpegGood news. The price negotiations went well and we arrived at a price both the seller and I were happy with. Got the car easily registered at the DMV today. New plates are in the trunk as the seller let me keep the YOM plates on the car. It was a nice sunny day, so I took the car out for a drive with the top down. A real pleasure to operate and slightly different from driving my ‘40 Chevy or ‘53 Packard. Each has its unique sounds, sight lines and handling which makes driving these old cars so much fun. Lots of waves and thumbs up from other drivers and pedestrians. The car has some minor cosmetic flaws, but I’m going to leave them alone. They’re part of the history of this car and I’m developing more of a “keep it original” mindset than trying to make everything perfect. I may even follow Ed’s lead and not wash it. Apologies to AJ and others, but I’ll keep the WWTs😀. No Trippe lights, spot lights or other accessories, however. Plan to drive it a lot and occasionally bring it to a local cars & coffee and maybe show it at the NC Region meet in Spencer, NC and SE Nationals in Charlotte this year and next. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and advice

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

The definition of a good deal: When both the buyer and seller are happy! Congratulations on your new pre war car…..only problem……..you need more than one!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I keep seeing this thread coming back up and kept thinking to myself, I hope the next time I see this thread pop up CChinn has announced he bought this car! Congrats, glad things worked out for you. As for the whitewalls, this is def. a car that should be sporting them. Now we need to see some pics in the great day for a ride thread!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Nice looking car. Things you can do and still keep it original: Remove the grille guard (not correct), and locate some correct bumper guards both front and back (four total).

Now I have 4 more reasons to attend Hershey again this year. Thanks 

P.S.  I tried to slightly turn the front wheels in the photo as you suggested in your presentation at the annual meeting. Not sure if I succeeded 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 3:15 PM, CChinn said:

60FlatTop, thanks for your input and I appreciate what you are saying. My wife will attest that if I want something, I will get it. My ‘53 Packard is a good example of that. No one said run away from this car which was important. The price range also seemed to be reasonable to this group, which also helps. Whether the final sale price is somewhere between $40-60k, I will be able to deal with it emotionally, intellectually and financially. I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the price and I anticipate we’ll reach an agreement. However, I am much better informed and educated going into it thanks to everyone’s comments here

And thank you for providing great detailed info and keeping us informed. Let this serve as an excellent example of how the forum can work provided the OP is an active  and enthusiastic participant. 

Congrats on this great addition to your collection. See you on tour.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I love stories with a happy ending.  The car looks great and I'm glad everything worked out.  I'm sure that the PO realized that the car was going to someone who appreciates it as much as he did.  Talking to you probably reminded him of how excited he was when he bought the car.  Drive on!  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see that now you have changed your avatar from the 1940 Chevrolet to the new Cadillac! I have been looking forward to that ever since you announced that you had made the deal. Don't get me wrong. Although I often comment that cars of the 1930s are a bit too modern to really interest me? My parent's family car when I was born was a 1941 Chevrolet, and I remember the car very well. I have fond memories of the car, as well as us going to the drive in movies back in the 1950s. My little brother and I hiding behind the front seat with Vincent Price up on the big screen in "The Pit and the Pendulum".

So, while I do have some fondness for Chevrolet cars of the late 1930s and early 1940s? That Cadillac is a big step up! I hope you have and enjoy both cars (as well as your 1950s Packard!) for a very long time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Wayne and everyone who replied with their congratulatory notes. I’m really enjoying this car!  I’m still driving the ‘40 Chevy and ‘53 Packard, but find excuses to drive the 38 Caddy whenever I can. My wife says why do I need another old car, especially when her MB SUV sits outside. The price I’ll pay for that will be huge!😂

• Like 5

4 hours ago, CChinn said:

My wife says why do I need another old car, especially when her MB SUV sits outside.

Overheard at a Pierce Arrow Society meet - Whenever my wife asks me, 'How many cars do you really need, I always reply - Just one more'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1