1953 Buick Skylarks on all time low???

Hans1965

Just visited the Mecum Kissemee auction website and saw that two 1953 Buick Skylarks were sold for 55 and 39 grand. 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1110243/1953-buick-skylark-convertible/?aa_id=540096-0

image.png.3c82f2625ad2c593d740240c4a02b42a.png

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1110243/1953-buick-skylark-convertible/?aa_id=540096-0

image.png.a8bed8a07170f4909c3755e9f7886710.png

Both look like >100 grand cars to my innocent eyes. What a bargain.

Or are these cars currently so much out of favor? Is my distinguished taste so much from yesterday?

I want one.

• Like 1

They used to be way above 100 grand like in 150-200 range. The fact that owners sold them so cheaply should tell you something as to where the market is going. It's not just prewar cars falling out of favor, I think pre-60s cars are falling.  I noticed last summer that the 50s style cruise ins with DJ playing loud bebop/sock hop music havevbeen replaced with loud live rock bands. Fewer 50s cars showing up. Lots of 60s 70s 80s modified cars are the fad nowadays. 

• Like 2

I understand that Skylarks' values are down,

but I don't know how far.  They are beautiful

cars, but because of their popularity, they have

been saved and restored in quantity, and they are

not rare.  In fact, of all the 1953 models that one

may see for sale, Skylarks are the most common!

Looking at ads, you'll see several for sale every

day of the week, every year.

• Like 2

When I watched part of the Mecum Auction this year, it looked more like Mannheim Used Car Auction

than a collector car auction.   Lots of 2 to 5 year old muscle cars at stupid prices.   Could have bought

3 of those Skylarks for the price of one of those Dodge Chargers !   I still like the older stuff.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jdome said:

I noticed last summer that the 50s style cruise ins with DJ playing loud bebop/sock hop music havevbeen replaced with loud live rock bands. Fewer 50s cars showing up. Lots of 60s 70s 80s modified cars are the fad nowadays. 

I went to a cars and coffee cruise last Saturday - great if you like the new crap. It was about 1/3 older stuff and 2/3 new. Oldest cars were 60’s. Saving grace was the presence of a non-street drag only ‘68 Camaro that drove in, a ‘70 LS6 Chevelle, and a Superbird.

11 hours ago, jdome said:

I noticed last summer that the 50s style cruise ins with DJ playing loud bebop/sock hop music havevbeen replaced with loud live rock bands.

Finally! The music change is not a bad thing, I have been waiting for that for the past 40 years, I am closing in on 70 and do-wop music was considered to be oldies when I was in high school.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Auctions are just another measure, maybe a bit skewed of the value of a car. Are the values down, probably a bit. But Mecum FLA may not be the best place to sell one of these either. I saw a couple of 1970's pickup trucks easily hit 6 figures so there is obviously no accounting for taste!

As for the music at cruise nights/shows, yes PLEASE play something somewhat decent. And for a change, lets skip a couple songs that are car related!  At one time I made my share of rounds with the 'motorcycle crowd'. Every bike rally seems to be filled with southern rock. Much the same as car events have do wap. I grew up listening to and playing lynyrd skynyrd and the likes but I do like a little variety. 

• Thanks 1

For the last couple of years auctions are the place you go to wholesale your car so you get cash on a particular day.   Sold privately or through a reputable dealer you will see higher retail prices.

In a strong car market auctions can bring premium prices, in a weaker market the opposite can be true.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I am a musician, have been since about the 3rd grade. I love most types of music. I dont have a problem with it at shows but for the most part it can at least be kept to a low level.

I, like most, have my preference in music.  So loud my teeth rattle is not one.

If the Skylark prices keep dropping, I can hope, maybe??

Ben

Ben

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

Just visited the Mecum Kissemee auction website and saw that two 1953 Buick Skylarks were sold for 55 and 39 grand. 

How do you learn the sold price in Mecum auctions?  I often go to the Mecum site and am able to view each car but I don’t know how to see the final sales price. Thanks

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shootey said:

How do you learn the sold price in Mecum auctions?  I often go to the Mecum site and am able to view each car but I don’t know how to see the final sales price. Thanks

You need to register on their website and after log in they display the sale prices per lot. Free of charge. 

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon I juggled cars around to prioritize my space for a couple of jobs. On the right in this picture is the maroon Riviera I bought when in was 15 years old. Behind it is the Electra I bought when it was 40 years old. The black one was 18 years old when I bought it last January.

They were all "Too" something age-wise when I bought them.

Funny to read these timely comments. I'm glad I don't nest my interests in some pigeon hole.

Excuse the big board. It is leaning against the floor jack handle. The cleaning ladies come tomorrow and after they leave it will become my new floating computer desk for the home office.

IMG_0568.JPG.3ffa5ccc4e2c0df6134b66253a7b7ec8.JPG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

You,re either in this hobby for the love of your cars or the love of money.

Those that can,t seperate the two are in for disappoint, a soaking, or both.......bob

well said!