1913 Hudson 6 54 Speedster $48,000 OBO

$48,000 seems steep to me, but it sure looks like fun. The seller (Ed Archer) is a fixture of the pre-war class at Monterey.  More pics in ad 

https://www.prewarcar.com/521889-1913-hudson-6-54

An ultimate early speedcar. Low, sleek, sporty and fast. 1913 Hudson 6 54 speedster. First year of the Hudson Super Six. Plenty of power and plenty of good looks. Great road car. The car was probably first restored sometime in the early 1950s. I saw a picture of it on a horseless carriage tour back in 1953 or 4. Currently, it’s a “barn find”, been in good dry storage on jack stands for 40 or 50 years. Before the owner died a few years ago he used to routinely start it up and let it run awhile. With Hudson’s introduction of their six cylinder engine in 1913, they proclaimed that they were “The largest producers of six cylinder automobiles in the world” The transmission type is a 3 speed selective gear. Even though there’s still a hand crank handle in front, original equipment includes a Delco electrical system complete with self starter. The wheelbase is 127 inches. The colors of this car are dark burgundy and black, with black leather upholstery, and varnished natural wood spoke wheels. It is equipped with a monocle windshield, running board spot light, Firestone Non Skid tires and a great exhaust whistle. It could be cleaned up and driven as is with the great patina, or is worthy of re-restoration.  Price is negotiable as it has to be sold.

image.png.88ed01474e7ea6c05acde9f015f148ad.pngimage.png.7f1e41ddad4f48008634e5e1b6ce0201.pngimage.png.c00bef91cfe0576bad0f43e762fc2357.pngimage.png.103a28faa86ca15415213e985d62b70a.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Crazy days racing stuff like this. Did not have to worry about being in an accident. You would be thrown far far away from it, at a high rate of speed.😳

It’s not the travel through the air that’s a problem, it’s the landing afterwards that matters!  That running board spotlight looks like it should be on a fire truck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TerryB said:

It’s not the travel through the air that’s a problem, it’s the landing afterwards that matters!  That running board spotlight looks like it should be on a fire truck.

That’s what that thin leather helmet is for, and your glass goggles have got to help. At least while you are flying through the air.😲

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

What would realistic normal cruising speed of this thing be? 

I think the limiting factor would probably be the driver's tolerance for risk. What would be a reasonable cruising speed on a motorcycle of similar vintage with no helmet? Similar number for this car.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

I think the limiting factor would probably be the driver's tolerance for risk. What would be a reasonable cruising speed on a motorcycle of similar vintage with no helmet? Similar number for this car.   

My brother has a 1913 motorcycle. Basically a bicycle with a 500 cc motor. We have had it to about 30mph plus. Kinda scary. Anytime its out one of the first questions is how fast will it go? The bigger question is how fast will it stop? (not very!)

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 12:40 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

It looks like it is parked illegally, and someone has booted the wheels.😂

I’m sure you know those are “tire saver” jacks, to keep tires from getting flat spots!  Back then tires were very expensive…..oh wait, they are now too!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

What would realistic normal cruising speed of this thing be? 

First thing to do is check how tight the wheels are. How good where the brakes on this car? Is your beneficiary list up to date? How long of a straightaway do you have?

I don't know if the asking price is reasonable or not but there are a lot of people out there that would consider it pocket change. It would be a hoot to own though. 

• Like 3

On 12/22/2023 at 11:15 AM, Leif in Calif said:

$48,000 seems steep to me, but it sure looks like fun. The seller (Ed Archer) is a fixture of the pre-war class at Monterey.  More pics in ad 

https://www.prewarcar.com/521889-1913-hudson-6-54

An ultimate early speedcar. Low, sleek, sporty and fast. 1913 Hudson 6 54 speedster. First year of the Hudson Super Six. Plenty of power and plenty of good looks. Great road car. The car was probably first restored sometime in the early 1950s. I saw a picture of it on a horseless carriage tour back in 1953 or 4. Currently, it’s a “barn find”, been in good dry storage on jack stands for 40 or 50 years. Before the owner died a few years ago he used to routinely start it up and let it run awhile. With Hudson’s introduction of their six cylinder engine in 1913, they proclaimed that they were “The largest producers of six cylinder automobiles in the world” The transmission type is a 3 speed selective gear. Even though there’s still a hand crank handle in front, original equipment includes a Delco electrical system complete with self starter. The wheelbase is 127 inches. The colors of this car are dark burgundy and black, with black leather upholstery, and varnished natural wood spoke wheels. It is equipped with a monocle windshield, running board spot light, Firestone Non Skid tires and a great exhaust whistle. It could be cleaned up and driven as is with the great patina, or is worthy of re-restoration.  Price is negotiable as it has to be sold.

image.png.88ed01474e7ea6c05acde9f015f148ad.pngimage.png.7f1e41ddad4f48008634e5e1b6ce0201.pngimage.png.c00bef91cfe0576bad0f43e762fc2357.pngimage.png.103a28faa86ca15415213e985d62b70a.png

@Leif in Calif

To the best of my knowledge, this is NOT Hudson's Super Six which would have been introduced as a "2nd Series" in 1916, with the same 288 ci displacement as my 1915 Six-40, but with 76hp instead of the '15's 40hp.

The Model 54 was a huge L-head 441 ci with a claimed "Rated" hp of 40.9

The Super Six would remain in production for many years - not so for the 6-54

• Thanks 3