Power out Still pumping gas

Dave Mellor NJ

My first job was as a "commissioned island saleman"   in other words a gas pump jockey.  We were commissioned because the owner knew teen-aged boys were basically lazy, but could be motivated by $$.  I made $7.10 on every $100 of gas I pumped when gas was under $.30 a gallon, and had plenty of spending money.

The owner had pictures of how he kept the station open and pumping gas during a blizzard in the late 1950s.  His method was very similar to the picture already posted--except a Model A Ford was used in place of the lawn mower.  The bottom panel of the pump was removed and I think some sort of rubber "driveshaft" was used to connect the left rear wheel to the pulley on the pump.

I wonder how many OSHA and other regulations would be violated by anyone who tried that today-----it could be a measure of how much freedom we have lost.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

During a recent hurricane in the New York City Long Island area the media reported that all the Kings policemen and firemen could not gas up their vehicles because the power was off.

Duh.

56816_W3.jpg.5566076fe0e98e0ebf50b74a578879b2.jpg

Then they required emergency generators be installed in case of an emergency.

I am pretty sure they put a little water detector on the level stick each day when they sound the tanks and if they find a trace it is pumped off the bottom with a hand pump. And if they can't keep water away from the fill cap tell them to call me during the next "disaster".

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Thay are, but prices will make you gasp. Cheaper ones with a 20" cut are in the $1500.00 range.

I mow two acres and considering HydraMatic Drive's "less than smooth" terrain and plain old volunteer grass, one wouldn't work too good here.

I guess that's why I don't see them here! 

I doubt if any of the gas pumps made in the past 20 years would have a place to connect an external pump drive like the one in the picture.  If I was looking for a garage display pump, the one in the picture would be at the top of my list.

• Like 1

Back in early 60s my Dad had a Cub tractor with a 1KW 110v generator mounted on it, for emergency power during power outages and portable power for around the property. During an extended town wide power outage the Cub was running low on gas and my Dad called his friend Bob, that ran the local garage to see if he could get a fill up. Bob said sure but he had no way of pumping it. My Dad drove the Cub to the gas station and jumped the fuse box filled his tank and a few other customers that showed up, disconnected and went home to reconnect to house.

• Like 3

I've seen a photo floating around the net from some distant country where a bicycle was rigged up to the pulley with a belt. During a blizzard in the 90s, nobody could buy gas but I remembered a little country store that still had a pump like 60flattop pictured, but only for kerosene. Kept us in heat, anyway.

• Like 3

About 1978 I was on Holiday and landed in a small South Island Town called "Collingwood".

The power was out for the day so the lady running the petrol station used a crank handle in the side of the pump needed. I was that taken I took a super 8 movie of her filling my 1970 Mk4 Ford Zephyr. I forgot all about that until I read this post.

For years if I noticed the small flap on the side of pumps I would tell my friends that is for hand cranking fuel out.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2023 at 5:28 AM, arcticbuicks said:

image.png.b0038be06a8cfc6ff9a8a72df4a93a16.pngpeople these days ......jeeeeeez.......remember the days of trouble free fuel .........no power needed......why emergency vehicle garages do not have these ......amazes me

images.jpg.f84747ccf8a6fef3dcfdcc47b173eb6c.jpg With proper signage and barriers of course.

• Haha 1

i am actually surprised to this day.....that a young mother talking on a cell phone ....in a hurry......yelling at kids.....and turned around sticking a soother back in babies mouth in backseat car seat strapped........as she flies up to the pump ........at a self serve gas station.........can actually be acceptable..........you would think with safety rules and laws of today........no car can be driven up near a gas pump......no children allowed on property.......certified gas pump guys in fire suits attach grounding strap to cooled vehicle evacuated of all humans before refilling.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcticbuicks said:

i am actually surprised to this day.....that a young mother talking on a cell phone ....in a hurry......yelling at kids.....and turned around sticking a soother back in babies mouth in backseat car seat strapped........as she flies up to the pump ........at a self serve gas station.........can actually be acceptable..........you would think with safety rules and laws of today........no car can be driven up near a gas pump......no children allowed on property.......certified gas pump guys in fire suits attach grounding strap to cooled vehicle evacuated of all humans before refilling.........

Don't give them any ideas

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am totally grateful that I neither act or feel my actual age.

Was it really that long ago that you pulled your car into a gas station, the attendant came out, checked your radiator and oil, wiped down your hubcaps and windshield, and emptied your ashtray.

Then they went to the pump, inserted their crank, cranked it until the globe at the top contained the amount of gas you wanted, removed the hose and stuck the nozzle into your gas tank filler pipe, squeezed the handle, and gravity done the rest.

Remembering this also brings back memories of kerosene lamps and wash tubs, boards, cloths lines and mom’s apron with her milk money in its pouch.

IMG_1919.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/18/2023 at 5:59 PM, Rata Road said:

For years if I noticed the small flap on the side of pumps I would tell my friends that is for hand cranking fuel out.

Older NCR cash registers also had a round hole on the side covered by a flat piece of steel that slid out of the way to insert a hand crank, should the electric motor fail, or the power go out.

Craig

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 4:48 PM, Jim Bollman said:

Back in early 60s my Dad had a Cub tractor with a 1KW 110v generator mounted on it, for emergency power during power outages and portable power for around the property. During an extended town wide power outage the Cub was running low on gas and my Dad called his friend Bob, that ran the local garage to see if he could get a fill up. Bob said sure but he had no way of pumping it. My Dad drove the Cub to the gas station and jumped the fuse box filled his tank and a few other customers that showed up, disconnected and went home to reconnect to house.

My father was an electrical contractor, in the early days they had a generator that was bolted to the motor of the shop truck. When they got to the job site, they would switch fan belts on the truck to hook up the generator that would give them the power to run the drills and power tools to rough in the houses. Now temp poles are set for power, it is also tied to your electrical permit.

• Like 1