My 1973 Buick Gran Sport won the People's Choice Award at the 2023 Audrain Concours

philip roitman

My 1973 mostly all original Buick Gran Sport SCO Yellow Stage1 Sun Coupe just won People's Choice at the 2023 Audrain Concours Sunday October 1. 

To say it was a huge surprise and honor is an understatement. I am still stunned and pinching myself as if in a dream. This car always exceeds my expectations. 2022 Senior Grand National, BCA Gold, 2023 Simeone Museum's Philadelphia Concours "Best in Class", etc. This has been an exceptional year.  Next up is the Hilton Head Concours with my Harvest Gold 1973 Buick Gran Sport Stage1 Four Speed . I do not ever expect to win anything, just getting invited is an honor. I heard about the AACA Grand National Class at the Hilton Head Concours on the forum so I sent an entry. Will not be in the Grand National Class, but they did invite the car to be in another class instead.

image.jpeg.c5239a666731beb384dafec111c0d8c5.jpegimage.jpeg.ebb56800242c47127810dc7ed8a253e8.jpegimage.png.4c4dc19c8d8aa074a0a750c9b4da89d8.pngimage.jpeg.16722e373ad6688a73c94232a917c270.jpegimage.jpeg.5b1fbbed4087be1f81701f65772a92e4.jpeg

CS5I0313.jpeg

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• philip roitman changed the title to My 1973 Buick Gran Sport won the People's Choice Award at the 2023 Audrain Concours

Congratulations !  I find Buick GS cars are often overlooked. But that bright yellow makes yours very hard to miss. I owned a very ordinary, dark blue 1969 GS 400 from the later 1980's until just last week. I miss it already. Retired, both space and money are  getting to be more of a problem so something had to go. Looks like you have quite a fleet of Buick GS cars. 

• Like 1

Thanks. The color is a SCO special order. it is 1 of 4 Code O for Other. (Non GM Paint) Documented by the Buick Archives at the Sloan Museum.

This car was a Columbus Ohio Zone Office ordered car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philip roitman said:

Thanks. The color is a SCO special order. it is 1 of 4 Code O for Other. (Non GM Paint) Documented by the Buick Archives at the Sloan Museum.

This car was a Columbus Ohio Zone Office ordered car.

What was that color originally used on?

On 10/9/2023 at 2:43 PM, Jim Skelly said:

What was that color originally used on?

Not known. The tag in the engine compartment just says SCO - -.  The breakdown sheet from the Buick Archives doesn't say what the 4 O Code built car colors were. This was common practice with GM for years. This car has mostly all the original paint. I own the car for 19 years and have never seen this Yellow on any other make of car. It's probably a custom color. Believe me I have looked at a lot of different Yellow cars Foreign and domestic. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Oh my gosh. Congratulations!  No doubt some stiff competition.  Never in my wildest dreams would I believe a 73 Buick would win such an award.  Nice job! 

Me too, I am still pinching myself to make sure I am not dreaming. 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 9:08 AM, rocketraider said:

It's always great when a Colonnade gets recognized and appreciated, especially a rarity like a Gran Sport. Well done sir!👍🤙

I like what Olds and Buick did with their styling decisions of those years. As a Pontiac fan I was disappointed with the Pontiac versions.

• Like 1