Which way do we go. double fronted cars

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Which way do we go. double fronted cars

I enjoy these push me pull me cars.

There is a ratted out 48 or so Chrysler around here that has the body mounted backwards.

Some people just have to much time on their hands.

• Like 1

I have seen a "parade car" made up from the fronts of 2 minis. They would split in 2 periodically and drive about independently and then reunite - kids loved it!

• Like 1

For years there was a two-front-end 1950 Pontiac Catalina parked alongside the Catalina Lounge in San Diego/Point Loma, disappeared sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s.  Wish I had a photo of it, perhaps Keiser or somebody else with some San Diego history can locate one.

1 hour ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

For years there was a two-front-end 1950 Pontiac Catalina parked alongside the Catalina Lounge in San Diego/Point Loma, disappeared sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s.  Wish I had a photo of it, perhaps Keiser or somebody else with some San Diego history can locate one.

Yep. It was orange or red. I remember it well.

1 hour ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Bizarre 1953 Chevrolet Pontiac With Two Front Ends Will Leave You Confused  - autoevolution

I may swing by the Catalina Lounge and see if they have any photos of it there.  I think it has changed hands a couple of times over the years so perhaps not.  Worth a shot.  If nothing else, an excuse to stop into one of the local 'dive bars'.  SMB

• Haha 2

There was a double-ended '51 Plymouth at (IIRC) the Pioneer Auto Museum near Rapid City, SD.  The proprietor said they built it for advertising purposes in the mid-sixties, and the Highway Patrol promptly ruled it off the road because the car was too confusing to other motorists.

4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Hudson with two fronts....

The Hudson still exists though in very sad shape.  It is parked outside of Ed Moore's shop/junk yard on Route 140, just outside I-495 in Bellingham, MA.  Very rusty! Ed's shop is still there but I think all the cars in the junk yard have been crushed.

Hudsondouble-EdMoorestreetview.jpg.b6e4ab419e717e256917054a3989b989.jpg

The double-ended Hudson, Oct. 2019 picture on Google Streetview, but I saw the car there in the last couple of months.

Hudson-EdMooreshop.jpg.2d0496bff853458a321dc0255794ec69.jpg

Ed Moore's shop with the good Hudsons inside.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A true Double Ender,   Made from two drivable cars with a common braking system.   Was a ball to drive with a trained other end driver.

We each drove a "Front" .   Were hired to drive between races at the St. Petersburg Gran Prix.   IMG_44031.JPG.2f36d4bb2a250fa7995777186df334c4.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spill check (see edit history)

Growing up, small-town parades were loaded with fun stuff, like the local trucking company that would run through with 4 or maybe 6 trailers behind a truck. A favorite was a double-ended mid-60s Chevy pickup owned by a local feed store. The rig still existed into the 90s but I haven't checked in a long time. 

In the early '50's I often traveled Rt 250 between Charlottsville, Va. and Harrisonburg, Va.  Near Waynesboro on the way  there was a dealership which may have been named Bauger, at any rate a Mopar dealer I believe.  A double ended Airflow was seen there multiple times.  I was also shown a large foreign classic on the order of a Hispano Suissa, but perhaps something else comparable.  Does anyone know what became of them or have pictures?

On 7/8/2023 at 11:48 AM, Dave Henderson said:

In the early '50's I often traveled Rt 250 between Charlottsville, Va. and Harrisonburg, Va.  Near Waynesboro on the way  there was a dealership which may have been named Bauger, at any rate a Mopar dealer I believe.  A double ended Airflow was seen there multiple times.  I was also shown a large foreign classic on the order of a Hispano Suissa, but perhaps something else comparable.  Does anyone know what became of them or have pictures?

I've seen that Airflow and I think I have picture of it somewhere.   As a Airflow Driver/Navigator in 9 Great Races, I always notice old Airflows, both Chrysler & Desoto.   Many people thought they were UGLY, but I still like them.   Awesome powerful cars that were light years ahead mechanically and aerodynamically too.   Spent a lot of time in that area with friends in Lexington who were also old car people and great back roads to look for old cars.   Bagged

5 Model T's one year on a single farm, northwest of Lexington.   (Probably in the early or mid 1980's).  Also found a mid 60's 23 window VW Bus in a place called something like Miller's Tavern, that was gone the next time I looked.   

To bad, because it was in much better shape than the Model T's we bought.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
reposition text (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...