If your old car....back east here don't start this morning, stay home.

Dandy Dave

..back east here don't start this morning, stay home. -15 aint no weather to be driving them in. I ain't a comming out for ya. Inside the old farm house it is 70. No reason to leave the summer heat created by three wood stoves.

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Danny, If you are heating the old farm house with three wood stoves, sooner or latter you will have to go out to that unheated out house.

Take an old Sears and Roebuck book and set it on fire before you sit down!

Pin on Bathrooms 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, R Walling said:

Danny, If you are heating the old farm house with three wood stoves, sooner or latter you will have to go out to that unheated out house.

Take an old Sears and Roebuck book and set it on fire before you sit down!

Pin on Bathrooms 

Das is what der strong farm wifen is for. Bringing in der woods. 😉 Actully we have enough packed in the basement until things warm up in a few days. And we have two of them newfangled indoor running water closets. With hot water I might add too.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

getting a little bite of cooler weather there ?.......stay warm and work on a car in the shop kinda day.....what does everybody use for heat in there shop ?....insulated ?.......for me our whole place is electric in floor electric boiler in floor pipes ....helps  keep the chill off laying under a car......only have a wood stove in house for emergency ............but wood heat is actually kinda nice...... this the real way to have a heated outhouseHeated outhouse. : r/redneckengineering 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 degrees on western long island up from 5 degrees an hour + ago. Sunny and no wind. I am not complaining as it is better to deal with this then deal with ice, and many inches of snow. No snow this year that accumulated, just stuck to the grass and then melted. I go and visit the cars in the masonry, insulated heated garage and pat them on the fender to say hello. Heat in there is electric so is not inexpensive but allows the lacquer paint to not crack due to the sheet metal getting cold.

This weather gets me ( mostly /sometimes) to focus on getting stories written and projects worked on. Research material back to where it was on file - well maybe , sort of.......

• Like 2

Brutal cold? Time to take the dump truck out for a run! This was from a few years ago (2019) and yes it was zero degrees! A little fuel/oil mix through the priming cups, choke and a good amount of time to warm-up and off we go! Working the heavy steering (solid rubber tires in snow) tends to keep you warm!

• Like 10

@Walt Gthats something i never thought of ......lacquer in cold .....is that fact ? ......its far colder here for months........i often wonder when i go to car wash in -35 and hit the hot water....how the paint dost just go POW........im careful to mist the glass first though

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

Lacquer is hard so thus brittle. If the metal surface changes shape via expanding when hot and shrinking when cold - cracking develops.  One rear door panel on my Buick conv. sedan is cracked and will need to be repainted BUT the current paint was put on in 1967 so it has had that amount of time to vibrate, shrink and swell with the surface.

58 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

@Dandy Dave if you get bored ....you could fire up the old open touring car and take the wife for a cruise on a nice snow covered backroad ........would be fun ......right ?

I won't take them out if there is salt on the roads. The Highway Departments use it heavy around here.

• Like 3

@Dandy Dave i dont know what else they are putting on the roads these days ....its not just salt in some ice melters ......beat juice is also used ......and some places just ship in sea water to use......i keep my trucks washed in warmer weather so they dont end up like a easterbunny but lucky salt dosnt activate or do much in more colder weather

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

@Dandy Dave i dont know what else they are putting on the roads these days ....its not just salt in some ice melters ......beat juice is also used ......and some places just ship in sea water to use......i keep my trucks washed in warmer weather so they dont end up like a easterbunny but lucky salt dosnt activate or do much in more colder weather

Yes. Sometimes they mix in calcium cloride here. Every old farmer knows what it does to older tractor rims as it has been mixed with water and used for ballast for years. Leave the old autos and trucks inside. Drive the beaters.

• Like 3

I didn't see the actual temp this morning but when I went out to get the mail last night at 7 pm. it was -14 and the wind was really howling.  Howled all night.  Was suppose to be -22.  I bet it did that or better.  I could noticeably feel the difference in out well insulated house last night from even a 0 night.  Need to go out and make sure the shop heat stayed on.  Sun is out now and the wind has really subsided.  If it gets into the single digits I'll get my daughter out on our tubing run I made that is now solidly iced over. 

Spent the last hour arguing with my son why it's not good to start a vehicle at this temp if you don't have to.  Wife will go to work later but that's after it's sat in the sheltered spot it's in after the sun shines on it for several hours. 

Must be nice to be 15 and think you know everything.  We told him to walk where he wanted to go,  we live right on the edge of town.  He said it's too cold.  So I said well that tells you it's too cold to start the car needlessly. ;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

getting a little bite of cooler weather there ?.......stay warm and work on a car in the shop kinda day.....what does everybody use for heat in there shop ?....insulated ?.......for me our whole place is electric in floor electric boiler in floor pipes ....helps  keep the chill off laying under a car......only have a wood stove in house for emergency ............but wood heat is actually kinda nice...... this the real way to have a heated outhouseHeated outhouse. : r/redneckengineering 

One fancy meat smoker. 

• Haha 2

@auburnseekerits usually ok to start in extreme cold with block heater plugged in .....kinda everyday driving here temps.........but i always let em warm up 20 minutes in neutral,common to have a power steering hose blow or tear a internal automatic transmission seal or blow a cooler hose driving from cold start.......sometimes i am amazed they do start cold  not plugged in .....i always put methyl hydrate in gas on trips too...there will be a lot of frost inside tank going from warm weather to very cold ......especially if tank isnt full

The key is the block heater.  Can't keep one in my DK45 S Kioti tractor.  I have put 4 in it and they get me 2-5 times then they fail.  No idea why.  I even found a Watts heater the same as the one Kioti sells and it failed.  That might have been the 5 times.  I now put plywood up around it to direct the heat to the engine and use a salamander.  That's with it in the unheated garage.  Fortunately I've only had to do that twice I think.  I only use it to plow so we have been fortunate to have any serious polar plunges after a snow storm.  Might it start without it?  Possibly but why take the chance.  

On the vehicle it's my wife's Toyota tacoma and it didn't come with a factory block heater or I would have had it installed. 

Thinking of a tank heater on the Kioti now but it's low on the priority list with the salamander being handy. 

Besides just the fact that our 15 year old is demanding we take him somewhere is cause enough to say it won't start regardless.  One of the few ways the state hasn't cut parents ability to parent.  Pretty much everything else is a crime in some way or another.

Now see how we are getting where we are at today?

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@auburnseekeryes for sure block heater or add a cheap inline heater[no pump] in rad hose or circulating heater in heater hose......i drive a couple diesel dodge pickups and added a diesel fired heater about the size of shoe box......its like a little boiler tiny jet engine that automatically comes on and uses very little from truck fuel tank,has its own tailpipe........and sounds like a jet engine starting up when it comes on .......much needed when we go snowmobiling and somewhere remote like ice fishing and able to keep the engine warm when its not running........when im traveling in say -35 or -40s i leave the boiler unit running boosting engine temp...... and gets warm enough to actually feel heat from the vents lol

3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

The key is the block heater.  Can't keep one in my DK45 S Kioti tractor.  I have put 4 in it and they get me 2-5 times then they fail.  No idea why.  I even found a Watts heater the same as the one Kioti sells and it failed.  That might have been the 5 times.  I now put plywood up around it to direct the heat to the engine and use a salamander.  That's with it in the unheated garage.  Fortunately I've only had to do that twice I think.  I only use it to plow so we have been fortunate to have any serious polar plunges after a snow storm.  Might it start without it?  Possibly but why take the chance.  

On the vehicle it's my wife's Toyota tacoma and it didn't come with a factory block heater or I would have had it installed. 

Thinking of a tank heater on the Kioti now but it's low on the priority list with the salamander being handy. 

No problem up here with my Tacoma (Parked outside and no block heater) Yesterday it was -17 below with a brutal wind chill when I headed to town. Just have to let it warm up for a good amount of time.

The one thing I really miss about my shop on these cold days is the wood stove.

The one thing I don't really miss all those other days,  is the wood stove.  LOL

Actually I didn't mind doing the wood that much,  but I don't miss the worrying about a chimney fire,  though I cleaned it every 2 weeks.

Actually cleaning the chimney.

The fact that it was not on the property so I had to drive up and put wood in it at 11PM and again get up there early enough to get it going as my monitor heater in that building really wasn't big enough with the 20 foot ceiling.  

• Like 2

Told the wife I would like to build a little one room cabin on the property with a woodstove so I could go there on cold days and just cook myself out when I felt like it.

I really hate being cold. 

Probably would have moved to Florida or atleast the Carolinas if my family wasn't here years ago.   Now my wife says we have too much crap to move,  so I'll do my best to enjoy freezing and slipping on ice from here on out. 

Took the kids sledding on our 600 foot drive last week when it got icy,  but it was so fast,  I actually was a little afraid of tearing a limb off if it caught one of the many ice chunks froze to the ground as I had to drag my feet and hands from the top down to maintain some kind of control.  

The hill is 300 feet long then a 90 degree corner and a 300 foot flat before it turns another 90 degree to the road. Had no problem making it to the bank at the bottom with brakes on the whole way.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

24 this morning here in the Smokies.   The propane furnace in our Barn/Shop keeps it at 45 degrees.   Better than putting antifreeze in the toillet and winterizing everything including paint.   When I go down there and bump the thermostat to 55, 10 minutes later it's good working temp.   

P. S.  It was sunny this afternoon and it got up to 49 degrees, That's  liveable.IMG_1407.JPG.f1af00c863e6d53d0c7d0fe9ab7fe15d.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re-position text (see edit history)
  • Like 4

45-53 here today. First Saturday of the month car show at the local Home Depot parking lot. 2-250 cars expected. Come on down to southern South Carolina and get out of the low temp high tax north!  I’m from Chicago and I’m just wearing a flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up the weather is so nice. Of course I have my pants on too for all the smart guys out there. 
dave s 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Warmed up to about 15 now. This is pretty much what my day looks like today. The dogs are Jonesing for a walk, so later on I'll likely bundle up in my Carharts and take them for a romp through the fields. They already have their fur coats on...........Bob

20230204_124604.jpg

• Like 8