What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

alsancle

This one isn't as extravagant or expensive (then or now) as most in this thread but I'm a Model A guy.  I'm not much into sedans but I think the slant windshield blind back is pretty good looking - 1931 Ford 160-C Deluxe Fordor Sedan:

https://www.mafca.com/photos/bodystyles/31-fordor-deluxe-160C.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

In the UK, and here in NZ, Rover was a very middle-class car with a similar market position to Buick or Pontiac in the US.

This 1937 Rover 12 sports saloon was owned from the 1940s to 1970s by my wife's grandfather. The next owner, who I know, still has it. It was used in the 1994 Peter Jackson movie Heavenly Creatures.

I did ride in it once and found like many of its contemporaries to be cramped in the back.

IMCDb.org: 1937 Rover 12 hp Sports Saloon [P2] in "Heavenly Creatures, 1994"

1017u.3448.jpg

Rover continued production of the pre-war styling until the 1948 introduction of their P4 75 'Cyclops' model.

Most British makes did the same thing, many retaining cart springs, tall skinny wheels, and non-hydraulic brakes etc until their new models were ready.

This car is from 1946 - 

Rover 14, 1946 - Classicargarage - DE

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

There are those that might argue the Citroen traction avant is one of the best looking pre-WW2 sedans. Good enough that it remained in production until the mid 1950s.

In the first photo is a 1938 example wearing a mix of post WW2 wheels. photo taken just a few months ago at our club grass gymkhana.

The silver/grey car dates from 1939.

The third photo illustrates the difference between the post-war model (the car in the foreground dates from 1952) and the pre-war models (this one is from 1938).

All of these cars will have been built in the British Citroen factory.

Not to be disrespectful,  but who would argue that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A berline is a sedan that is upholstered throughout in the same fabric but is fitted with a partition (divider) window that can be lowered when not in use.   The idea was to equip the car flexibly to be owner-driven with the partition window lowered but when needed for chauffeur-driven formal occasions have it available to raise.  If the driver's compartment is leather upholstered, its then considered an enclosed-drive limousine, not intended to be owner-driven.    The social conventions of chauffeur-driven era cars faded away by the advent of WWII, except perhaps in isolated 'old money' circles.

There is always an exception:  my 1937 two window Judkins Berline is definitely a Berline, but has original leather seat upholstery up front, not matching fabric and came that way from Judkins.  

4 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

This one isn't as extravagant or expensive (then or now) as most in this thread but I'm a Model A guy.  I'm not much into sedans but I think the slant windshield blind back is pretty good looking - 1931 Ford 160-C Deluxe Fordor Sedan:

https://www.mafca.com/photos/bodystyles/31-fordor-deluxe-160C.jpg

Wonderful Ford and very rare.

A lot of 1930's Buicks mentioned already so I'll throw out a sister vehicle....1937 Olds

486541450_1937Olds.jpg.d009eb1eed0fec51f64b413327f122e4.jpg

And of course I'm partial to one of my own, which is not necessarily a rare or particularly expensive car but I think has a good looking front end with that narrow grill.

200119116_LaSalleoutforaspin.jpg.3f6f7fbc40cffebea832f384fc3a1416.jpg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 4

edinmass said about the stunning 1931 Ruxton, 'I respectfully disagree in every category. Interesting? Yes. Fun, yes. Quality...nope. Fit, finish, and engineering, uninspired.  Ed, the topic is "Best Looking Pre-war 4 door Sedan", and I understood that to mean does the car knock your socks off first time you see it from 10 yards. I'm sure many of the subject cars shown on these pages have detractors based on driving experience, fit and finish, and engineering blah blah blah. Except perhaps PA's which are perfect except for those bugeyes!

• Like 2

Big sedan, or limo, call it what you like. This 1939 Buick 90, right hand drive from new ex-Australia, is currently for sale in NZ. It has no divider window but does have jump seats so I guess is a Model 90 Touring Sedan.  According to the seller one of two known, mostly original paint and upholstery but has a 1941/42 engine.

1939 Other Buick 90 Ltd, Limo | Trade Me Motors

1871894720.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

How could we have overlooked the Bucciali?

1932_Bucciali_TAV832SaoutchikFlechedOr3.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "overlooked." At what point is a car officially overlooked in this thread? After the second post, the tenth ... 50th? The thread hasn't been locked, so at this point, in my opinion, nothing's been overlooked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion, town cars, all-weather cabriolets, open landaulets, etc. should be left off of this list, and at some time in the future another thread will be started for those body styles. Let's keep this one to four-door sedans. Perhaps I'm alone in this opinion. I can always be voted off the island.

• Like 5

I'm a little bias owning one, but I think the 1932 Dodge Brothers DK-8 is a wonderfully proportioned pre-war 4 Door Sedan. Especially for a depression production vehicle. The shape of the fenders make it look in motion even when parked. The extended hood vs the DL-6 is more balanced with the body and the hood length gives a deserved sense of power. Yes, many bespoke luxuary brands have great sedan bodies, but for a everyman production car I think the 1932 Dodge Brothers DK-8 is pretty great.  

thumbnail_img035.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6896.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7293.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7389.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7504.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, George K said:

Don’t have any interest in these cars but like the unrestored condition of the above and this one.9A1D7C5B-1FFD-4E66-AB7D-7FEDC80B832C.jpeg.f5df15df73ad4ea55a0cd279245c4f1a.jpeg

P1 with Avon body.   Have always really liked the style.    This one sold at Amelia for next to nothing to Mark Hyman who then put it on his website with a decent upcharge.

PhantomI-Avon-RM.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Another early picture of the Franay bodied PIII.

RollsRoyceFranay-2.jpg

Funny AJ you seem really drawn to those Franay rooflines, nice but I usually think more razor edge or formal with Brits, I like the Freestone and Webb car and think it's been here before.

The Franay is nice, looks like a big Riley to me which is not an insult.