What year is this Buick

junkyardjeff

26 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I drive a 32 year old car for a daily driver and those people could not drive one for 10 years.

The average car has not had a very long lifespan. The 1930's averaged about 6 years. Here is more recent data:

https://www.bts.gov/content/average-age-automobiles-and-trucks-operation-united-states

I used to report to a director who liked to state "Perception is reality". That was his reality not mine.

Salt. Rust.

Up here in Washington State where we didn't use such things back in the day, 20, 30 and 40 year old cars were all over the place. Not so many 40 year old ones in daily service, although it wasn't really that unusual either. There was a surplus of 15-20 year old cars laying around. I revived one car in the 80s that hadn't made it quite 10 years (1961, last tagged in 1971). I thought it extremely unusual at the time that someone had given up on a car less than 10 years old.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

Salt. Rust.

Up here in Washington State where we didn't use such things back in the day, 20, 30 and 40 year old cars were all over the place. Not so many 40 year old ones in daily service, although it wasn't really that unusual either. There was a surplus of 15-20 year old cars laying around. I revived one car in the 80s that hadn't made it quite 10 years (1961, last tagged in 1971). I thought it extremely unusual at the time that someone had given up on a car less than 10 years old.

I agree wholeheartedly with Bloo. Every place in North America has it's Achilles heel. This includes the PNW, but we just have fewer of the environmental roadblocks that spell premature auto demise. It's not perfect by any means, but for most of my life we just took long lived vehicles for granted. However things are changing.

The way it used to be, we cared very little about age of a vehicle or even who made it. A good car was a good car, regardless. Of course there were people who bought new, but it was strictly optional. What those folks provided were good serviceable cars for the rest of us to drive.

In my 20's I began to travel the country. What I saw, or maybe what I didn't see shocked me. Not only were there very few 10yo cars around but there no 20-40yo cars. It didn't take long before I saw what the combination of snow/salt, sun, heat and humidity could do a vehicle. Hell there was nothing worth repairing or restoring.

About 35yrs ago a friend from Southern California was up visiting. I believe that it may have been his first trip to the PNW. As we drove around, showing him the sights he made a comment that has stuck with me. My friend was not a car guy. Much more in the cultural mainstream then most of us here. In effect his comment was "you sure have a lot of Juncker cars around here." I said really show me what you are talking about. Within a minute he pointed to a beautifully preserved and well maintained late 60's or early 70's full-sized Buick-like that. He was equating old with junk. Not trying to pick on any part of the country, but I've been able to verify a cultural snobbery that exists against anything old especially cars.

As our area has grown, and a new generation came of age and people moved here from other places, the culture has begun to change. That and the fact that new car technology has made cars all but unrepairable has had an effect on what people drive around here. 

Please pardon this off topic reply. I've written similar comments in the past. Just chalk it up to an old man's ramblings!  

• Like 6

I  most likely one of the few that drives 30 plus year old cars for daily drivers but to me a 5 to 8 year old car seems new to me and no way would even think to send a 5 to 8 year old car to a junkyard unless it got wrecked,times have changed where used cars are worth way more then back then and new cars are very much more expensive too but would think if I was alive back then I would drive them much longer.

54 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I  most likely one of the few that drives 30 plus year old cars for daily drivers but to me a 5 to 8 year old car seems new to me and no way would even think to send a 5 to 8 year old car to a junkyard unless it got wrecked,times have changed where used cars are worth way more then back then and new cars are very much more expensive too but would think if I was alive back then I would drive them much longer.

I don't think people were just squandering their money back then, the vehicle was at the end of it's service life. It might have needed a transmission, front end work, block might have been cracked, who knows? It just was not financially feasible to keep on the road, and nobody wanted to buy it used, even the junk yard did not sell it

11 minutes ago, John348 said:

I don't think people were just squandering their money back then, the vehicle was at the end of it's service life. It might have needed a transmission, front end work, block might have been cracked, who knows? It just was not financially feasible to keep on the road, and nobody wanted to buy it used, even the junk yard did not sell it

I fix my cars,for me it's cheaper to fix them to  replace but I do all of the work myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I fix my cars,for me it's cheaper to fix them to  replace but I do all of the work myself.

I think you are missing my point, it is not a question of you fixing your cars, the economics of 1957 were a lot different. The Buick in question was coming up on 9 years old. I am guessing but the most that car was worth in 1958 around $450 in perfect condition. The car probably needed more then that in repairs, and the selection of 8-9 year cars that ran was abundant. Even doing your own work would you put $3000 in parts plus your labor in a $2000 car? or just find a better one for $2500 and only have to put $1500 in it? That car was just a victim of attrition, just another appliance that got consumed and disposed of. Was it a little too soon in it's life cycle? I would agree, but we have to assume that there was something terminal with that car. Even the guy in the Junk Yard would have tried to get it on the road to sell it if it were profitable enough. Who has a better resource for parts then a guy with a junk yard 

With a few exceptions most of the engines on post WWII cars were burning oil by 80,000 miles. The quality of the oil was not that good, carburetors were always running rich 

• Like 3

My wife and I bought our first NEW vehicle in 1996, a GMC Jimmy and our second NEW vehicle in 1997, a GMC Sonoma. Neither of us had ever had a New vehicle before. Both of these rigs are V6 and 4 wheel drive. The Jimmy is an automatic and the Sonoma is a 5 speed. Both have had various, fairly minor problems, that were very cost efficient to repair (with Bloos' help). The only big problem was with the Jimmy when it ate a front differential. It actually broke the housing when things went very bad. We chose to replace the differential because we knew the vehicles entire history. Anyway, both of these vehicles are daily drivers and will continue to be for hopefully a very long time in the future.

As was said above, new vehicles are so tech forward they are not easy for a DIY mechanic to diagnose and repair. Don't even get me started about what will happen when the electronics begin to fail and factory support has timed out and modules are not available. Kiss your $80000.00+ vehicle good bye for the want of a proprietary $1000.00 part.......

I will, most likely, never buy another NEW vehicle, but I do see several used ones in the future.

rant off....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Automobile styles seemed to change more radically in about 10 year increments up until recently; or possibly 20 years ago.  When looking at a series of period photos involving scenes in the public with automobiles and with about a 10-year separation, one can notice that the cars seemed to turn over within each ten year span.  

5 hours ago, John348 said:

I think you are missing my point, it is not a question of you fixing your cars, the economics of 1957 were a lot different. The Buick in question was coming up on 9 years old. I am guessing but the most that car was worth in 1958 around $450 in perfect condition. The car probably needed more then that in repairs, and the selection of 8-9 year cars that ran was abundant. Even doing your own work would you put $3000 in parts plus your labor in a $2000 car? or just find a better one for $2500 and only have to put $1500 in it? That car was just a victim of attrition, just another appliance that got consumed and disposed of. Was it a little too soon in it's life cycle? I would agree, but we have to assume that there was something terminal with that car. Even the guy in the Junk Yard would have tried to get it on the road to sell it if it were profitable enough. Who has a better resource for parts then a guy with a junk yard 

With a few exceptions most of the engines on post WWII cars were burning oil by 80,000 miles. The quality of the oil was not that good, carburetors were always running rich 

I bring cars back from the dead much older then that Buick was all the time.

You know your getting old when you walk into a parts store and you can't get a common part for your Daily Driver that still seems new to you.

I have a 1990 1500 4WD Chevy Suburban. It came from the Great North West. I needed a Muffler and rear Exhaust pipe. The original muffler is No Longer Available and the tail pipe had to be made. I remember when these were new just a few years ago....Wait...It's 32... I feel old.... 😬 🤓🙃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

With automakers using far longer cycles for body changes, cars no longer to appear out of date as fast.  A 1961 Pontiac (new body style that year) was on its third new body by 1971, making the '61 appear very outdated, which still had flat side glass and vent windows, and none of the safety features inside which substantially changed interior design in 1968.  

The 1970-1/2 GM F-body Firebird & Camaro were still in production in 1981 using the same body shell.  And GM's W-body, introduced in 1987 (as 1988 models) was still in production until 2007.

Craig

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Think of the cost of a "High End" Automobile 1900- 1910 and how fast they were outdated?

All through history, things that were exclusive to 'high end' automobiles eventually ended up being available on lower priced cars.  In the late 1940's, for example, power accessories such as windows and seats were exclusive to middle and luxury brands such as this Buick in the initial post.  By 1955, lower priced cars started offering them as well.  Today, what are considered inexpensive subcompacts have power windows as standard. The last car my mom ever purchased, a 2003 Hyundai Accent (Hyundai's cheapest 'entry level' model at the time) had all the power accessories and convenience features my dad's 1977 Lincoln Town Car had and more, such as keyless entry, which was not available in 1977.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

I can see a 8 year old car being junked today with all the electronics and other things that can go wrong and fewer people that would know how to work on them but not a 8 year old car in 57 when everything was simple and cheaper,I guess that growing up not having much money and having to make everything last longer could give me this attitude.  I try to not participate in the throw away society.

5 hours ago, kgreen said:

Automobile styles seemed to change more radically in about 10 year increments up until recently; or possibly 20 years ago.  When looking at a series of period photos involving scenes in the public with automobiles and with about a 10-year separation, one can notice that the cars seemed to turn over within each ten year span.  

It could be 25 years, I've seen "Antique Plates" on far too many cars here in Connecticut that don't look to be 25 years old. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, John348 said:

9 years old. I am guessing but the most that car was worth in 1958 around $450 in perfect condition.

Try $150! New Chevrolets were less than $2K (unless a decked out Impala). Price of new cars drives the price of used cars. 

In the late 60s I looked at a lot of used cars in the $10 to $50  range....

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 4:58 PM, junkyardjeff said:

I do use several 30 yo cars for daily drivers. It goes hand in hand with our cars lasting longer. However what I drive is seldom seen on our streets today. My cars provide the minimum amount of safety, economy and comfort that I feel we need on todays roads. What started back in the mid 2000's as the purchase of a good 10-12yo used car, has turned into a situation of driving a fleet of cars that are now collector cars, at least to some. 

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)

Jeff @junkyardjeffI would be interested in the trunk lid handle for the 1949 Buick,  the next time you go back to junkyard, you would need a 1/2" wrench and remove the nut inside the trunk and then handle just slides out, if key is in ignition please get that to go with trunk handle lock cylinder.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank You in Advance,

Bob

3 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I can see a 8 year old car being junked today with all the electronics and other things that can go wrong and fewer people that would know how to work on them but not a 8 year old car in 57 when everything was simple and cheaper,I guess that growing up not having much money and having to make everything last longer could give me this attitude.  I try to not participate in the throw away society.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s (and earlier), most cars in the salt belt were rusted out within 5-6 years.  That happened with our family's '51 Chieftain and '57 Bel Air, and my uncle's '59 Biscayne.  Mustangs and most cars in the Detroit area were rusted out on the front fenders behind the front wheels within 4-5 years.  My point is most cars in many parts of the country may not have been worn out mechanically, but the metal was shot, so they were junked.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

In the late 60s I looked at a lot of used cars in the $10 to $50  range....

In about 1972 I bought two Corvairs for $10.00 each.  Fixed one up and drove it 50,000 miles,  actually my girl friend at the time drove it.  Car long gone, but the girl friend, she is my wife of 45 years to date. Great acquisition on both accounts.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Biscayne MRSP  $2495.

OK, I was off a couple hundred. Delray was $2013.  And no one paid MSRP... 🤔  Dad wrote a check for a new 66 Biscayne 4 door with 283 $2100.

• Haha 1

I've told this story before. In about 1980 a good friend and fellow car buff was given his parents' 1974 Pinto hatchback. It was low a mileage PNW car and in great shape. When he moved to S. California to work at Rockwell he took the Pinto and put some of his collector car in storage up here. The Pinto served as his as daily transport well into the 90's. On several occasions he was able to get reasonably priced  parts. One occasion stands out because someone actually chased him down. When he finally caught up with my friend, he told him that he had a garage full of Pinto parts, which he could have for the taking.  

Fast forward, my friend who was still single, confided that he could figuratively drive his Pinto forever with the parts he had. But was that really a good thing? What he was driving had begun to make a statement about him. Not the statement that he wanted made, either. When he finally sold the Pinto it was like a weight lifted off his shoulders, because not only did the car go away but all the accumulated parts went with it. I really don't know what this has to do with the discussion, but it does highlight some of the cultural ramifications of driving an old car.