The ebbs and flows of cars for sale

ericmac

Just as an observation, right now it feels as if every car I have on my "cars to buy list" is currently for sale. That's great, but how to convince the missus I need to buy them all? Does anyone else go through this? You no sooner buy something and five more equally desirable, or more desirable, cars come along, and at a reasonable price.  Maybe I'm just itching for something new. I'll be interested in hearing thoughts from the rest of you.

• Like 6

I should be reducing our stable,

but keep getting teased by other great cars coming available.

Maybe I need to relearn "Sit and Stay"!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As the only breadwinner in my household, what comes and goes from the garage doesn’t need to be negotiated. I probably should have picked one that has an actual job………then I would have twice the wealth and half the cars. Everything comes with a price……….everything.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

Yes, I believe that is called a normal marriage for an old car guy! 
dave s 

Dave. I never associated you and normal in the same sentence. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Dave. I never associated you and normal in the same sentence. 🤔

Ed, You’re right, I’ve never been normal. I like prewar cars and whitewall tires on some of them and the fact they can be driven daily even in the rain! What does that say about me ? 
dave s 

• Haha 1

In he late 1970's my wife fell in love with a 1966 Thunderbird. Against my better judgement I bought it for her.

At the end of that experience she relinquished all control of automotive decisions to me. Although she has recognized periods when I did not have a project car and encouraged me with her comments.

• Like 1

Mine doesn’t like cars. Actually avoids them at all costs. She can’t tell one from another, and only occasionally asks how many we have. She usually doesn’t get an answer. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

Ed, You’re right, I’ve never been normal. I like prewar cars and whitewall tires on some of them and the fact they can be driven daily even in the rain! What does that say about me ? 

That you are a fine fellow that I am glad to have as a friend. Hey if we both agree on the same thing it means we can point to each other and say "see he does that too". Justifies our being (or odd nature, insanity ??)

• Like 4

Quite the opposite in my area . Lots of old cars for sale, but 98% of them are street rods that don't do a thing for me. There was one I have admired over the years a month or so ago. A very traditional 34 Ford 5 window. But the ask was something like $ 75,000.00. And it didn't seem to stay for sale for long.

And one Morgan I probably could have afforded, but the seller { flipper }  didn't advertise it locally, just went straight to Bring a Trailer and the auction ended before I saw it. Another one most likely gone from my area after being a local car for 60 + years.  Seller was probably hoping to make a killing on a sale to a U.S. buyer , but the Morgan actually sold for a very modest price.

Otherwise virtually nothing over the last 3 or 4 years. High prices, cars that I wouldn't cross the road to look at. 

Buying anything from the U.S. is more or less a non starter. Weak Canadian $ , high travel and transport costs , plus a bunch of extra red tape and fees at the border.

Good thing I already have a few cars { projects } I really like. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Mine doesn’t like cars. Actually avoids them at all costs. She can’t tell one from another, and only occasionally asks how many we have. She usually doesn’t get an answer. 

Mine has always enjoyed slalom water skiing and fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, hand thrown pottery, and since we first met back in early 1968 - cars, the car hobby, touring, judging, and Rallye competition - polishing? - not so much ! While time and health have slowed us over the past 53 years, we're still chugging along.

• Like 3

Never fails... when I have a spot open in the garage all the good cars are hiding. When that open spot closes something nice ALWAYS pops up. That Chrysler Windsor coupe in the classifieds has been driving me nuts since it was posted, alas... no space for another car currently.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, ericmac said:

That's great, but how to convince the missus I need to buy them all? Does anyone else go through this?

Overheard at a Pierce Arrow Society Meet - "When the wife asks, 'How many cars do you really need?' I always reply with 'Just one more'"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, zepher said:

Overheard at a Pierce Arrow Society Meet - "When the wife asks, 'How many cars do you really need?' I always reply with 'Just one more'"

Cute !

Overheard in a lunch buffet line while on a week-long AACA tour-

First gal says "I got a Buick for my Husband" -

Second gal responds  "Good Trade!"

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, zepher said:

That was me! 😎

The actual line:

When your wife asks you how many cars are enough? You should respond: Just one more!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Since early on in our marriage my Wife and I had the majority of our income put into one account for the "household". I got a certain cut for my "play money" and she got a certain cut for her "play money". She doesn't complain about what I spend mine on and I don't complain about what she spends hers on. As a bonus, she really likes antique cars!

1 hour ago, jp1gt said:

My wife loves cars, tractors, trucks. She had to have our shelby GT conv. The only problem is that she loves horses also. You know, buy a car she gets a horse!!!

A car you can park to slow/stop the expenses.  The horse, a mobile fertilizer factory keeps eating day in and day out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, jp1gt said:

My wife loves cars, tractors, trucks. She had to have our shelby GT conv. The only problem is that she loves horses also. You know, buy a car she gets a horse!!!

My wife rode horses when she was young and has always wanted one of her own. I am very respectful of her and try to provide the best I can (we will be married for 37 yrs this Jan) but the one thing I have absolutely refused over the years is horse ownership. I admit I have far more toys than she has. I have had many dozens of motorcycles, a few old cars thrown in along the way etc. I figure the house is hers so we are even, LOL. When she brings up my excess I respond with  'when the cars and bikes are sitting in the garage they dont eat!'

After I finished the restoration on my trans am I bought her a new mustang convertible, which is her baby. Her first car was a mustang and her favorite model. I figure it was a win win, she gets a new mustang car and a 'pony' at the same time.

the 3rd time around I made sure that she had as much in the pot as me. What limits us is how much she wants to muck and feed, and how much I want to spend on tires, batteries, and gas. At one time I had 20 cars and now down to 3. She has 2 horses now so maybe I should consider myself lucky.

When someone tells me their wife will not let them buy a car or they have to check with the wife. I have several responses:

1. You should have checked with her before you called me. (This is the truth, if you need permission from somebody to do something that is step 1).

2. You need to treat her better. (If things were good at home, why would she stop you?)

3. Do you know why a divorce is so expensive?... Because they are worth it. 

The other fact in this life is that garages and bank accounts are never big enough. 

A Doctor friend of mine was building a garage a few years ago. He was telling a group of us about the project. He listed everything he was going to put in the building. Boat, camper, truck, mowers, other boat, this car, that car, and so on. When he finished, I said Doc that barn is full. I looked at me and said what do you mean? I said with all that stuff in the garage it is going to be packed full. He looked at the others in the group who were all agreeing with me. Then he said what do I do? I said you need to at least double the size of the garage. He went over to his wife and told her that I said he needed to double the size of the garage. Without hesitation she said that he better call the contractor and tell him to double the size. The garage is still full.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm currently at 7 cars including my truck and Jeep. Still I shop the web ads daily, always have done that. Before computers it was Auto Trader, newspaper classifieds and Hemmings. But I'm really trying to not buy anymore......., this month!

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, while we are happy with the Packard purchase, a few cars crossed my path lately I would have been interested in; '35 Ford roadster, '57 Corvette, a couple prewar Caddys and a '46 Ford coupe out of the Bootle collection.  Not to mention a couple of cars that have shpwn up in the "not mine" section here recently.  Always something out there...