1928 Lincoln for sale, not mine.

It kind of comes down to price.  I think it should be for sale for $2,000 BUT a seriously interested person needs to provide some level of assurance they have the resources to do something to it.  

I do not, but I did have a decent large 3 car insulated and air conditioned man cave garage.  If I had that I would plug away at it but not sure what I would accomplish.  

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I mean what the hell.  I am seriously considering a 1926 Cadillac convertible (2 door) for $5,000.  It would be fun to put this next to it.  I am 58, 59 soon.  Might be done with them by age 70, enjoy them until I die at age 76 or so, widow sells them for $15,000 each or so. 

So you will go at the age of 76, so I am now 74 ( born 1948) and that means i only can count in months anymore till I am gone .I am still looking for cars and i work almost daily on my cars so I am completely wrong and should go to Dubai  and enjoy the rest of my leftover days ...Wow !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is a Locke. Ad is now marked sold. I was tempted and I’m not too far away, but decided against it.

The same person has sold several ‘20s cars in similar condition over the past several months. Looks like a barn clean out, I assumed from an estate but never contacted to confirm. Some of the ads showed a bunch of parts hanging in the background. 

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Definitely neat.   The plan needs to be to bolt everything onto it and make it complete,  then try to massage the mechanics enough so it moves under its own.  You will have something very cool and you won't have 400k in to it.

Looks like the way the doors are sitting, there is about 4"-5" missing in the length of the body, that and the appearance of missing/rotted/no wood in the rear. Might not be anything to bolt to! 

It falls into the same category as someone with the right amount of money and no problem spending it, and it too can be a beautifully restored car some day.

9 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Looks like the way the doors are sitting, there is about 4"-5" missing in the length of the body, that and the appearance of missing/rotted/no wood in the rear. Might not be anything to bolt to! 

It falls into the same category as someone with the right amount of money and no problem spending it, and it too can be a beautifully restored car some day.

The only cars in this condition that are getting the full nut and bolt treatment these days are ones that can be a class winner or winner circle possibility at Pebble Beach. And the guys doing it have wealth measured in at least hundreds of millions of dollars. Your garden-variety millionaire guys are not taking on a project like this, on a relatively common car. And I realize it’s a Catalog custom, and I also realize it’s cool. But nobody’s full boat restoring this thing. 

• Like 1

A few years ago I sold this car for about $80,000 and it was a hard sell. Nice restoration, ready to go. They're relatively plentiful and not terribly expensive. Sadly, nobody who does the math (and everybody does, sooner or later) will find this project appetizing. 

post-31138-143138667181_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

It’s a neat car. That said, there is a Locke body with suicide rear doors that is much more attractive. I think it was a case of the first small batch being “more custom” than the later stuff being built. Literally the design was successful, so they cheapened it to make a bunch of them and actually make money. I can’t find my photo of the “better” style.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The only cars in this condition that are getting the full nut and bolt treatment these days are ones that can be a class winner or winner circle possibility at Pebble Beach. And the guys doing it have wealth measured in at least hundreds of millions of dollars. Your garden-variety millionaire guys are not taking on a project like this, on a relatively common car. And I realize it’s a Catalog custom, and I also realize it’s cool. But nobody’s full boat restoring this thing. 

How many more class winning cars are still out there needing restoration? Never been to Pebble Beach, are some of those cars older restorations redone? Just seems to me you will run out of one off custom bodied upper end cars to be restored and shown.

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

How many more class winning cars are still out there needing restoration? Never been to Pebble Beach, are some of those cars older restorations redone? Just seems to me you will run out of one off custom bodied upper end cars to be restored and shown.

There seems to be an unlimited number.  We are only talking prewar American Classic for this particular car.

• Like 1

As Dirty Harry once said, "Sometimes a man just has to know his limitations." That sure is true when it comes to taking on any automotive project. The most dangerous situation occurs when something like this becomes available at a really low price, maybe just 500.00 or so.  There is a strong temptation just to get it so that you can own it. All of you guys that are seasoned old car guys will look at the feasibility, reasonableness, and the probability of the mission being accomplished. I've fooled myself a couple of times in the last decade and took on things that were out of my wheelhouse.   Because of that, I lost interest and never completed them. I will admit that it's led to a bit of bitterness in my attitude which has bled through into my commentary. 

Taking everything into consideration I cleaned house and now have some newer vehicles that fit into my plans. I like older cars, maybe less than twenty years old and that are in good original shape, but just need some detailing and touch up to make them look their best. Then I'll maintain, preserve, drive them, and enjoy them. I call that "Vintage Lite." 

I just turned 68, and while that makes me younger than many of you, and my health is still pretty good, it also made me re access, how I want to spend the next 10-15 years.  I love driving more than I love cars, and I want to make the most of the time that I've got left. As Peter Egan once wrote, "There are only so many Summers left."

• Like 3

...I think this is the style Ed is talking about, from Hemmings. This incidentally sold for $91K, similar to Matt's. I think wood in the subject vehicle may be non-existant but man it is hard to see these waste away but I agree with Rivguy, only so much time on the planet so we have to pick and choose.

https://thumbor-production-auction.hemmings.com/302112/img-0431.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

...I think this is the style Ed is talking about, from Hemmings. This incidentally sold for $91K, similar to Matt's. I think wood in the subject vehicle may be non-existant but man it is hard to see these waste away but I agree with Rivguy, only so much time on the planet so we have to pick and choose.

Thank God the restorer/owner had taste when they decided on colors!  Lovely...

On 11/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, Rivguy said:

As Dirty Harry once said, "Sometimes a man just has to know his limitations." That sure is true when it comes to taking on any automotive project. The most dangerous situation occurs when something like this becomes available at a really low price, maybe just 500.00 or so.  There is a strong temptation just to get it so that you can own it.   Because of that, I lost interest and never completed them. I will admit that it's led to a bit of bitterness in my attitude which has bled through into my commentary. 

Taking everything into consideration I cleaned house and now have some newer vehicles that fit into my plans. 

I just turned 68, and while that makes me younger than many of you, and my health is still pretty good, it also made me re access, how I want to spend the next 10-15 years.  I love driving more than I love cars, and I want to make the most of the time that I've got left. As Peter Egan once wrote, "There are only so many Summers left."

Your summary here is absolutely correct.   I am 9 years younger than you and have no workable garage.  I am out of the hobby but chomping to get back in.  

There are stages in the hobby.  Those who "did it right" restored maybe a car every 5-6 years, purchased a car or two more - wisely - and now have a 3-7 car collection (I am averaging here, some have more some are OK with 2). 

Few guys in their mid 60's are doing frame offs.  That's for the younger more flexible guys.  

On 11/16/2022 at 8:56 AM, alsancle said:

40 years ago that car would find a home and eventually make it back on the road. These days I’m not so sure of that. But it is a pretty neat car.

That is the problem - even if you were the most skilled in restoration you will still have at least double what it would cost (if not triple or quadruple) cost to buy a nice restored one and/or combo restored/original one (which you could upgrade and still come out better).  

On 11/16/2022 at 8:56 AM, alsancle said:

40 years ago that car would find a home and eventually make it back on the road. These days I’m not so sure of that. But it is a pretty neat car.

Was texting with a friend - they said their recent purchases came from old timers via estates or going into nursing facilities and interestingly I have the opposite - the cars have come from younger people who found out the hard way about the finances and time involved.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:57 AM, prewarnut said:

This Lincoln came out of an estate I handled and went to a local/Cincinanti Lincoln dealer for past 20 years - this car has been in this exact condition since it was nearly new (it is largely an original / unrestored car with minor upgrading)

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, edinmass said:

Here is my favorite Lincoln Locke body………dual cowl, suicide rear doors……….

Very cool. Mae West was a little younger (and thinner) in that pic than I'm used to seeing. She was still in her late '30's when that movie was being made, but turned 40 by the time it was released. She was most famous when she was in her 40's.   "America's Most Startling Woman." LOL!

• 2 weeks later...