Rock and Roll lost another one

Robert G. Smits

Much like the automotive pioneers, music greats are falling.  Rock and Roll great Jerry Lee Lewis died today at 87.  Probably best known for Great Balls of Fire. along with his wild lifestyle.  One of my favorites growing up.  Somewhere in storage I still have a couple of his vinyl records.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Is he actually dead this time? Two days ago they said he was dead and then he wasn't.

He was dead, but he got better.

Actually, I enjoyed his music very much. RIP KILLER!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Sorry to hear.

I sure did like his flamboyant style.

I wonder who will play him in the movie.

Dennis Quaid already did, 1989.

"Flamboyant" is kind of a mild description of Jerry Lee. "Possessed", "uncontrollable"... plenty of descriptors for the wild man of rocknroll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2022 at 5:51 PM, Crusty Trucker said:

-- Lewis (22) and third wife Myra (13):

If my memory is correct he eloped with Myra his second cousin while still married to his last wife.  He was blackballed from radio and it took him a decade to restart his career.

9 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

If my memory is correct he eloped with Myra his second cousin while still married to his last wife.  He was blackballed from radio and it took him a decade to restart his career.

Blackballed, in most states he would have went to prison!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Was he an antique-car fan or collector?

Does he have some relationship with the hobby?

Rock and roll was an integral part of life for those of us who came of age in the '50's and '60's. So were the "rebel" type movies, leather jackets, suede shoes, soda fountains, juke boxes, teenage relationships, military service and CARS. They were inseparable. Now, 60 years later, the music and preformers of the day are still part of the culture and memories some of us hold so dear. You have questioned the relevance of many threads posted on this forum. Old cars are what members own, remember and cling to. The broader experience of life includes many, many other things. I, for one, cannot separate or isolate any of those experiences from so long ago. When I hear an old song, in my mind, I can see the people, places and things that were relevent to me then. Looking at old cars, in pictures, at a car show, a museum or on the street reminds me (most often, pleasantly) of my youth and good times past.   

This thread, which you question, indeed has a relationship to many, many of us in the hobby. I may be a crotchety old gray-beard on the outside, but on the inside, I'm rockin'and rollin'...  Elvis lives, Jerry Lee Lewis will never die! 

...and I'm lovin' old cars.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 6:51 PM, Crusty Trucker said:

1958 --- Lewis (22) and third wife Myra (13):

Jerry Lee Lewis and young wife Myra

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Does he have some relationship with the hobby?

Wayal John- there's a 57 or 58 Sixty Special in the background. Sure it was just a contemporary car at that time, but flashy cars and 50s rocknroll kinda go together.

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Does he have some relationship with the hobby

And from reading about his history, doesn’t sound like an especially nice guy - in most places he’d be jailed for what he did 

• Thanks 1

Culture changes. What we may find morally objectionable today many times was considered normal only a few generations back. Many parts of the world even today not only allow, but encourage girls of 13 to be married. We may be disgusted by the idea (I know I am), but sometimes we need to recognize that not all the world agrees with us. I don't know how those old laws may have changed over the past half century? But I know that fifty years ago, marriage to even a first cousin was legal in several of our states! (I had Mormon friends from Idaho!)

Sadly, a lot of artists over the centuries have been less than well enlightened. Richard Wagner wrote a tremendous amount of the world's most beautiful music. Yet he was in many ways an immoral degenerate. I enjoy listening to "Swan Lake", But every time I hear it, It crosses my mind that he was a philanderer, and worse things. Some people despise him so much that they blame him for the rise of the Nazis! While it should be remembered that he was in many ways not a nice man, he should not be blamed for things he did not do.

Jerry Lee Lewis was reckless, and self centered. He did many things in his life that deserve disdain from decent people. He was also an incredibly talented entertainer and performer! In balance? I think he brought a lot of joy to the world! He was never one of my favorites of his genre, in part because of his attitude and personal life. A lot of people are much worse than I think he was. As far as being a good husband and spouse? I have known a lot of people that were not one bit better than he was.

May he rest in peace. Perhaps after a suitable time in purgatory? But that is up to higher powers.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Rock and roll was an integral part of life for those of us who came of age in the '50's and '60's. So were the "rebel" type movies, leather jackets, suede shoes, soda fountains, juke boxes, teenage relationships, military service and CARS. They were inseparable. Now, 60 years later, the music and preformers of the day are still part of the culture and memories some of us hold so dear. You have questioned the relevance of many threads posted on this forum. Old cars are what members own, remember and cling to. The broader experience of life includes many, many other things. I, for one, cannot separate or isolate any of those experiences from so long ago. When I hear an old song, in my mind, I can see the people, places and things that were relevent to me then. Looking at old cars, in pictures, at a car show, a museum or on the street reminds me (most often, pleasantly) of my youth and good times past.   

This thread, which you question, indeed has a relationship to many, many of us in the hobby. I may be a crotchety old gray-beard on the outside, but on the inside, I'm rockin'and rollin'...  Elvis lives, Jerry Lee Lewis will never die! 

...and I'm lovin' old cars.

Twisted Shifter, I believe that a great many antique automobile enthusiasts would agree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding (the Late) Jerry Lee Lewis, as far as (his) music being relevant to car enthusiasts, perhaps more so for those who are into the 1950s era cars..  I myself recall riding with our family in Dad's 56 Ford and his 57 Plymouth, Jerry Lee Lewis hits sounding great on the radio.. I did not learn until somewhat later of Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his (younger) second cousin.. Lewis paid dearly for that chapter in his life, his record sales dipped sharply, that is a known fact..  But the music Jerry Lee Lewis created in his prime lives on, he does have a certain amount of popularity at events such as car shows and local cruises which I have attended, both as a "vintage car" enthusiast and (often) as the DJ playing the music for everyone-   I actually have gotten many requests to play Lewis's hit songs.. Lewis did carve a notch for himself in the fifties music era, as well as the fifties automotive era..

On 10/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, JACK M said:

I wonder who will play him in the movie.

You missed it? 1989 "Great Balls of Fire" and it was Dennis Quaid. But the stars of the film were the 1957 Oldsmobile convertibles. He gave one to Jimmy Swaggart (cousin).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

You missed it? 1989 "Great Balls of Fire" and it was Dennis Quaid. But the stars of the film were the 1957 Oldsmobile convertibles. He gave one to Jimmy Swaggart (cousin).

I think I did see that movie some years ago now that I think about it.

Probably one of those that I slept on and off in my easy chair.

Might have had Winona Rider in it. I like her.

I've seen Dennis Quaid in lots of roles that I liked.  But, his performance as Jerry Lee Lewis in "Great Balls of Fire" was not one of them.  I could not watch the entire movie. The cars were the only thing worth watching.  

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 4:57 AM, wayne sheldon said:

Jerry Lee Lewis was reckless, and self centered. He did many things in his life that deserve disdain from decent people. He was also an incredibly talented entertainer and performer! In balance? I think he brought a lot of joy to the world! He was never one of my favorites of his genre, in part because of his attitude and personal life. A lot of people are much worst than I think he was. As far s being a good husband and spouse? I have known a lot of people that were not one bit better than he was.

May he rest in peace. Perhaps after a suitable time in purgatory? But that is up to higher powers.

Popular figures, including musicians, athletes and heads-of-state are NOT role models.

Craig

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 10:35 PM, Frank DuVal said:

That group of cousins seemed to play "Fast and Loose" with morals, honesty, the law, etc - lots of notoriety with Jerry Lee, and especially with Swaggart's church in Baton Rouge and his TV ministry, at least according to one of his fund-raisers I met through our club some time back. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

That group of cousins seemed to play "Fast and Loose" with morals, honesty, the law, etc - lots of notoriety with Jerry Lee, and especially with Swaggart's church in Baton Rouge and his TV ministry, at least according to one of his fund-raisers I met through our club some time back. 

Swaggart was just the tip of the iceberg. He set the stage for those who came after.

At least Jerry Lee was upfront about being a reprobate while making boatloads of money.🤑

• Like 1