Which restoration job gave you most joy?

Doctor's Pontiac

I will describe what I enjoyed the most of all the jobs I have done on my Oldsmobile.

I retrieved my 41 Oldsmobile Series 78 sedan in Feb 2021 after 30+ years of enclosed storage and have now completed a general restoration and began driving the car. As usual, had many days of frustration and many of happiness as the job progressed. However, what gave me the most joy was the experience I had last night when I finally took her for the first drive at night to test a lot of electrical fixes I have been working on. There were many wires that needed attention under the dash and since my goal is always to have everything that belongs to the car in working condition, I spent quite a lot of time making sure every single light and electrical component on the dash worked as original. Initially, only the ammeter gauge was in working condition. I restored the cluster and all other electrical components. After testing all lights in my garage, I was anxious to see how all the lights will work when car is out during the night. Yesterday was the day and after I finished installing clock and radio and fixing a starter problem that delayed the process for more than a week, went out for a drive at sunset. A very cool dry night with mild breeze in Western SD was perfect and I drove about 30 miles ecstatic looking at the dashboard the whole time!!! (well, not really, had to keep an eye on the road also). The dimmed 6 volt lights are so nostalgic, and contrary to what I expected they provide just enough light to see the instruments once is dark outside. The clock for instance, is 2 candle power bulb!! Imaging reading a book with just 2 candles at your side eek.gif

1831980803_Dashlights1.jpeg.3f4b83b5324cfee8630bef8ce6e23fc5.jpeg

I stopped for this photo when I entered my street from the highway. I was surprised to see a light on the heater switch (below on the left) that I did not even know was there. The entire dash is very harmonious with some lights on the instruments, some on the middle on the radio and the glovebox clock on the right. Not seen is the glovebox light that turns on when opening the glovebox, thanks to a mercury tilt switch installed on the hinge. Even the small green light on the transmission selector is visible. That is "cool" as the younger ones say.

1276765746_Dashlights2.jpeg.bb36a1e2f5c747b3cbbf2fc5e9abd939.jpeg

Just another view

315233933_Dashlights3.jpeg.e8e8a34bacfda1f9a37cbf59d5430d3d.jpeg

Of course testing the radio was a major part of the ride. Here is the antenna on the front seat, still not installed. I held the antenna out the window to provide ground with my hand and this 80 year box played perfect country music until my arm started aching so had to turn the radio off. I will install the antenna on the cowl confident that the radio works. I also installed a capacitor to the coil cable on the ignition switch and may be is doing the job as there was no noise interference.

Headlights.jpeg.af575b209d4ac6061b96beca82f57a4e.jpeg

Finally, when I got to my shop to park the car, I opened the garage door and turned facing the car. I was surprised to see how close the headlights are to each other. When is dark and you only see the headlights and do not see the car approaching, they look so close to each other that appears to be a very small vehicle. I said, what is that? a Crosley?

crosley-5-1200-533x400-740x480.jpg.0846e36e3f77be5f6afd8f80e86ede06.jpg

May be other Forum members can post their most joyful moments working on restoring their vintage cars.

Manuel

• Like 8

Doc, Are you an electrician by trade, or did that just come naturally to you? I've sold all my projects before wire and fire were ever thought of. Not something I'll ever understand, car or house wiring, glad it worked out well for you. Dead straight panels with mile deep black paint is my idea of having fun with a restoration.

Bob

• Like 1

.......there will only ever be one!     My "people"(absolutely not everyone) experience will ensure there will only ever be one.

If I want another special interest auto.... I will buy a well scrutinized driver.

I apologize,  I read the tread title wrong,   I missed the word "job".

In keeping with the treads theme,  the most joy came from me doing a good job of the things I was capable of tackling myself.    There were certain things I refused to do on my project because I didn't think this was the car to "learn on".   I know my limitations.

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

The secret is to break your restoration into subgroups. Each small enough that it can be completed yet large enough to be a challenge. Then, when each sub group is completed you will have a real sense of accomplishment.  When I completed a sub group I would often sit for a couple of hours with a beer, a good cigar, and just look at my completed work with shameless self admiration. It was good...........Bob

• Like 2

The ones I got paid to do. They get finished. Owned by people much wealthier than those of us who work { or at one time worked ] in the restoration game. The shop I worked at years ago produced some nice machines and I thoroughly enjoyed my part in the process.

I like most aspects of vintage car work, some of the dirty jobs not so much. But as an average , middle class joe, I have never had the financial resources, shop set up etc. to complete a restoration of one of my own cars at my own place. Been picking away on some of my cars for almost 40 years now, perhaps some day I will win the lottery.

It's a process, not a destination.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

To me getting every bit of sheet metal repaired, fit, and gapped and in finished blocked primer, ready to paint it the real joy, everything else it a costly amount of time and money. True joy of the hobby is finding the parts and pieces in garages, swap meets, internet, and they don't have to fit cars I own, just a joy to own. 

Bob 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

True joy of the hobby is finding the parts and pieces in garages, swap meets, internet, and they don't have to fit cars I own, just a joy to own. 

I agree totally Bob. Especially as more years advance to quickly. As my friends in Eng;and say " the bits and bobs" make you happy - they

most of the time are just beautiful , even if you have to see past the century of wear and tear. The fact you can share that joy and part with friends new and old makes every day count. I compare it to seeing a dog wag his tail when he looks at you.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Walt, I think I'll start a new thread "Car Stuff with a Story", I've never had a wall display of automobilia, just place stuff on a shelf or in a file cabinet, they have some great meaning to me, and that is what matters. Maybe it is time to take some photos and explain why the item is special. This badge bar was once on the 1921 Austro Daimler Bill Oxley, found here in town and displayed at the first Ridgefield Meet in 1961, it was on the 1964 program cover, later graced his 1922 MERCER Raceabout. The Astro Daimler is somewhere in Australia now with a "history" that conflicts with reality. Bob 

DSCF0414.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Bob

That is a great idea, stories about car stuff. It won't be like the one I did on memorabilia as a guide which was to inform people exactly what did and does exist . The story of things like the badge bar is something all can enjoy , as we go into the winter months here in the East . I remember Bill Oxley and the Ridgefield car show well and his Astro Daimler , but recall the Mercer more so. Can't wait to see the new topic! Great idea.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)

The fun of finding parts, and doing all the body work in your own garage.  The 'joy' part is feeling the body section you are repairing gain back its rigidity after cutting out the old rusted areas and welding in new metal to look and ride 'like new' again when its all done!

Craig

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

The secret is to break your restoration into subgroups. Each small enough that it can be completed yet large enough to be a challenge. Then, when each sub group is completed you will have a real sense of accomplishment.  When I completed a sub group I would often sit for a couple of hours with a beer, a good cigar, and just look at my completed work with shameless self admiration. It was good...........Bob

That is exactly the way I have been doing and feeling with my Olds, except the cigar. In almost 2 years I have worked countless hours, spent about $ 3K in parts and supplies and experienced the immense satisfaction - at an age of becoming a senior - of learning how to fix car components that I always perceived were mysterious.

I enjoyed the accomplishment of the electrical dash repair more than the others because my weakest skill is fixing anything electrical! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doctor's Pontiac said:

I enjoyed the accomplishment of the electrical dash repair more than the others because my weakest skill is fixing anything electrical! 

That is amazing, something I'd never feel safe about doing, so much to loose if it goes wrong. Bob 

To get my 53 Buick Roadmaster Riviera on the street. As always, I had to buy the car sight unseen and when it arrived here in Germany I was shocked by its condition. Bad paint, bad chrome, bad interior, engine had a tick, it was rolling like a ship in a storm due to the shocks not working properly, quite frightening. It must have had a hit at the front, so the geometry was not quite right. The hood needed welding, too. Don't know why I even had bought it. So I left it in my garage for a few years, sorted the electrics, took out the front and rear windows to do little rust repair, took off the cylinder heads to let a shop take care of the valves etc. But when the mechanicals were sorted I still had a car with bad paint and bad chrome and an engine I did not trust. So it sat for another 2 or 3 years and I bought other cars. Then I gave it to a 73 year old painter who put 300 h of work into it, straightened the front, welded the hood and really painted it very nicely. Took him 2 years. In the meantime I had bought new bumpers from California, new venti ports from Bob's, a better trunk ornament, straightened the sweep spears, repaired the hydrolectric system, etc. But when I got the car back from the painter, it looked fabulous, but I had not the guts to finish it because the paint just looked so fantastic and I had so much fear to destroy it!!!! Two years later a car buddy of mine stopped by for a weekend and he forced me to finish it with him. Luckily with no scratches!  Surprisingly the car passed the mandatory car safety inspection on the first attempt with no problems at all. I drove back home and it sat another 1.5 years in the garage, because I had not the guts to drive it. How could I take the risk? Just in August this year, we wanted to go to the Elvis festival in Bad Nauheim, I thought now or never. I took it out, washed it, did a few test drives and then we gave it a try. 8 years after acquiring it!  And it ran like a champ although it was really a very hot weekend. Of course I was worried and listened to the engine all the time expecting something to happen. But it ran just fine. Amazing. At the end this journey was really satisfying. The guy who painted it passed away in the meantime from cancer, but this car is really his legacy.

IMG_20210501_142601.jpg

• Like 7

I enjoy most of doing my own cars and drivig them on tours { 16 GLIDDEN tours } . Knowing that is all your work ,not paying to have it done . Learned how by just doing it didn't  always do it right the first time .But I enjoy puting back the wood in early cars . Kings32

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I used to enjoy sandblasting.  Take a badly rusted wheel rim or frame or whatever and watch the ugly disappear before my eyes.  Instant gratification.

Yes, I can relate to that, but why was sandblasting always done on the hottest day of the year? 

22 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

Not getting hung up on restoring it but making it safe to drive and enjoying them. 

That always makes me laugh "drive and enjoy' like that is somehow superior to "own and enjoy", "restoring and enjoying" "sold it as is and doubled my money" 

37 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

Not getting hung up on restoring it but making it safe to drive and enjoying them. 

My heap of scrap was beyond that point.

It was kind of an all in....all or nothing endeavour.    

It wasn't even possible to make a satin purse out of that sows ear.

Maybe should have been a donor car,   by that I mean I should have accepted donations toward completing the restoration.

Too Soon Old,  Too Late Smart.....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

That always makes me laugh "drive and enjoy' like that is somehow superior to "own and enjoy", "restoring and enjoying" "sold it as is and doubled my money" 

It isMahaha! The next person can do as they see fit. But you left out the part about making safe to drive. :)

Not my favorite car, but my favorite restoration. It's the only car that needed everything overhauled. Body. Interior. Engine. Rear gears. Everything. Its the only time I rebuilt a Dynaflow. Never had one before either, so hard to judge the end result. It went forward and reverse flawlessly😂

pb2.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gungeey said:

Not my favorite car, but my favorite restoration. It's the only car that needed everything overhauled. Body. Interior. Engine. Rear gears. Everything. Its the only time I rebuilt a Dynaflow. Never had one before either, so hard to judge the end result. It went forward and reverse flawlessly😂

pb2.JPG

Beautiful Riviera, Gungeey!  Love the color!  Do you still own it?