Antique classification

Buick35

Here is how it's done in small towns:    A Car Show is advertised with no age limits,  Antique Cars, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods, Special Interst cars, etc, etc.   It's a car show and anyhing with wheels is welcome.  One show had a 1909 Stanley Mountain Wagon and a 2021 Dodge Durango Hell Cat plus a 2022 Corvette, and I knew all the owners, after all it was a Car Show.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Here is how it's done in small towns:    A Car Show is advertised with no age limits,  Antique Cars, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods, Special Interst cars, etc, etc.   It's a car show and anyhing with wheels is welcome.  One show had a 1909 Stanley Mountain Wagon and a 2021 Dodge Durango Hell Cat plus a 2022 Corvette, and I knew all the owners, after all it was a Car Show.

That happens a lot at out local shows as well. Lots of new mustangs, corvettes and dodge stuff. I enjoy all cars and particularly enjoy looking at the 'really old' stuff. But when I see a 'new' car I may give it a glance and move on to the next. Nothing against those guys as they are participating in the hobby as much as myself. I just dont have a great interest in a car I can go to a dealership and look at new. On the other hand, and it may be a bit hypocritical but I view a 'cruise night' differently. I think its a place for people to congregate and enjoy a coffee, beverage, sandwich etc. and talk to like minded people. If one can drive their antique car there, that much the better. I have been known to take my wifes modern mustang on occasion when its really hot (my TA doesnt have AC).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

AACA library opening this year had same thing.... all age cars welcome, no fees..... good show.... only looked at what interested me.... hope that one becomes an annual event..!!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Yup. And the same parties who stirred up all the 2007 mess on antique plates are also involved with the farm use tags. Go figure.

Not a bad thing really, but after all the excuses they gave for going after antique plates, seems to me there are more improperly used antique tags on Virginia roads now than there were 15 years ago. Mostly 1990s stuff that is definitely not maintained or used as a properly licensed antique.

I don't mind newer stuff at a cruise or show, or being licensed as an antique as long as the vehicle's overall condition is a few steps above a well-maintained daily driver. Just today I saw a nice 80s Caprice COUPE wearing antique plates being fueled up. And it was certainly nicer than yer typical DD.

I have a horseless carriage plate on my 35 that never needs renewing.I'm in Florida.I don't know if they still issue them or not.

The 25 year rule is fine by me.  The HCCA cut off at 1915 does bug me to some degree.  Quite a few 100 + year old cars that are  too new for the HCCA. 

The 1915 and older cars still cary a steep premium as a result.  A price obstacle I may never overcome with regards to having a running Brass Era car.

9 hours ago, F&J said:

Some people possibly try to spread their hate for 70s and newer cars because those are the vast majority of what shows up at the local shows and cruises.  These people also spread their hate at any prewar rods that do show up. 

Frank, I can't speak for anyone else but for me at least it isn't a matter of hate...just lack of interest. I'd no sooner go to a show that was all 50s, 60s & 70s cars than I'd go to a display of Barbie Dolls. The old cars are still out there. They haven't been junked but I suspect many of the owners just feel it isn't worth the effort to bring them out any more. I don't expect anyone else to endorse my opinion but I have talked to at least one collector with some really spectacular early cars who feels much the same. I doubt anything can be done about it but a "one size fits all" attitude isn't helping. The one show I did go to (until COVID killed it) had gotten to the point where there were maybe 3 cars (out of perhaps 200) I found interesting. It was held again this year at a new venue and my two friends who went, who do like this later stuff, told me it wasn't worth the effort.

• Like 1

I think a good number of them have been sitting long enough that is is a reasonably big task to get them roadworthy again. Cooling system problems, and a new set of tires / tubes can just by themselves set the owner back a pretty big amount. Both time and money. 

Prices are still quite high however. In my area at least. I have a feeling that will change over the next decade or so. Inflation is running wild and many households are clearly not keeping up.

• Like 1

I enjoy looking at many different cars of all era's. I've owned a 1929 Pontiac, 35 Olds, 49 Ford and so many 50's, 60's and 70's cars I've lost count. Working part time in the car business was a big part of that. But now as I'm of retirement age and no room anymore I've scaled way back. So now my criteria has to be "Does it run well, stop well, keep up with traffic and is reliable?"  More so is it comfortable to drive for 2-3 hours?  But top of the list is Can I afford to buy it and maintain it?

That eliminates a whole lot of cars. Even most 60's cars are getting priced beyond my means without me going back to work to support one. I'm not willing to do that......yet. So 70's cars are my thing, again. Some 80's stuff too. The 90's are on the horizon! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

I think a good number of them have been sitting long enough that is is a reasonably big task to get them roadworthy again. Cooling system problems, and a new set of tires / tubes can just by themselves set the owner back a pretty big amount. Both time and money. 

Prices are still quite high however. In my area at least. I have a feeling that will change over the next decade or so. Inflation is running wild and many households are clearly not keeping up.

Every once in a while I think of getting the 1912 T out, it has been many years since it saw the open road. Cost of insurance, plates, needed parts, makes for an expensive few rides in the summer. Still have the trailer but the cost of a van or pickup to pull it just isn't going to happen. 

• Like 1

Not trying to step on anyones toes, but it takes effort to keep a 1970's car on the road as well. Keeping a car running and driving is much better in the long run than letting it sit and deteriorate. It seems that the pre war cars that have not had the upkeep to present them as roadworthy is a part of the problem of not seeing them out and about, not the fact that a 25 yo car is now an antique!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Not trying to step on anyones toes, but it takes effort to keep a 1970's car on the road as well. Keeping a car running and driving is much better in the long run than letting it sit and deteriorate. 

Kerry, you just redeemed yourself in a big way, as I was getting ready to needle you for going  modern vs. taking the TA due to a desire to take an AC car to a cruise night... 😉😁

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

The old cars are still out there. They haven't been junked but I suspect many of the owners just feel it isn't worth the effort to bring them out any more.

That's too bad. I wonder why they feel it's not worth the effort. Just because they are the only "old" car that shows up? In my opinion, that would make the effort even MORE worthwhile. If there are a hundred Model T's at a show, THEN it might not be worth the effort to be the 101st, but to be the ONLY one,,,, that would be worth it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, West Peterson said:

That's too bad. I wonder why they feel it's not worth the effort. Just because they are the only "old" car that shows up? 

It's worth the effort to just travel to a show or even just drive on the highway. People wave, blow horns, even follow you to gas stations and ask you a million questions about your old car and how they had one "just like yours" or except it was a different color, oh and it might have been a Ford, not a Chevy like yours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@R W Burgess, to your point, some folks do enjoy seeing them on the road still.

We had three folks in other cars either take pics or videos a few weeks ago while taking the Packard to a local show with a short highway run as part of the route.  One carload of younger guys pulled alongside to ask the year. 

Luckilly they were all passengers in the other cars, not drivers! 😁

• Like 1

I'll tell you something funny in regards to the perceived "lack of interest" in the prewar cars. I have been looking at a local stock Model A four door. Old restoration, decent driver, but clearly needing some love. I have a 17 year old nephew that my daughter picks up for school as he has yet to get his license. My daughter drives, for her school car, my '98 Corvette. Very flashy, very big hit with ALL the kids in school.

I was discussing the Model A yesterday with my daughter, who has grown up in our old trucks. Nephew asked to see the Model A and I showed a picture. Kid went nuts. Told me I could keep the Corvette, and they would take the "A".

Both he and my 16 year old daughter demanded that if I buy the "A" they have to get to drive it one day. Kids around here love the old cars.

• Like 6

For the most part I think 25 years works, at least for now.  As we go forward though if you think about parts availability for cars, especially the computers that have now been in use for over 25 years it may be a challenge to get newer cars to the 25 year mark.  I have an 05 Thunderbird with very low milage which will be eligible in 2030.  Already there are some computer elements of that car that are unavailable for replacement and repair of those systems is very spotty.  Unless the car has very high value it may not be worth fixing to keep it on the road even though it is in great shape otherwise.  Perhaps a new industry will emerge to solve this problem but I have my doubts.  I believe parts availability will play a bigger role in what becomes an antique or is eligible for some consideration from the MVA or the car clubs than age alone.  

I wonder if they were having this same conversation back in 1954.  I have this 1954 AACA car registry and it is quite fascinating with the cars that are listed.  Interestingly enough, the registry has newer cars in it that are less than 25 years old.  Here is a 1948 Tucker listed that was only 6 years old at the time.  

I can just hear the AACA members back then as the 1948 Tucker pulled up for an event - Boooo get that new fangled Tucker car out of here!  Those Tuckers are horrible and aren't worth anything and you cant compare it to my 1911 Cadillac! 

1954 register.jpg

page1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Currently my oldest car is only 51 yrs of age. It seems weird to me as I remember them when they were brand new and totally out of reach to 16 yr old me!

I thought they were cool then and now. Best part is the price now is about 33% of a same year Chevelle in same original paint and condition.

oct20 084.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Deceased friend of mine was turned away from his first Hershey because his car was "too new" so he parked his Auburn Boattail in the parking lot.

The story I heard was that a Mr. Miller was refused entry to Hershey because he was selling Corvette parts and his cars were too new. Not to be outdone he started Carlisle!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Kerry, you just redeemed yourself in a big way, as I was getting ready to needle you for going  modern vs. taking the TA due to a desire to take an AC car to a cruise night... 😉😁

HA, I like that Steve. Now for the irony. When they had the all vehicle show at Hershey this past summer, I was 1. concerned about making the trip in my TA (realizing after DPC at the recent show it will go anywhere now!) and 2. the temps were in the 90's and it was humid. SO, again I took my wifes mustang. Not intending to park in the show field, just as transportation to get me there. They guided me and parked me with the rest of the show cars in a line with a zillion other mustangs. I looked at one of the pictures in the magazine and lo and behold I spotted her car. It really made me feel bad that her 2013 mustang made it into the pages of the 'Antique Automobile'!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

They guided me and parked me with the rest of the show cars in a line with a zillion other mustangs. I looked at one of the pictures in the magazine and lo and behold I spotted her car. It really made me feel bad that her 2013 mustang made it into the pages of the 'Antique Automobile'!

Twenty years from now, I bet a high percentage of those 'zillion' Mustangs will still be around. 

Craig

On 10/20/2022 at 6:27 AM, West Peterson said:

That's too bad. I wonder why they feel it's not worth the effort. Just because they are the only "old" car that shows up? In my opinion, that would make the effort even MORE worthwhile. If there are a hundred Model T's at a show, THEN it might not be worth the effort to be the 101st, but to be the ONLY one,,,, that would be worth it.

I see your point but it makes sense to me only in the context of wanting to be the center of attention. Not everyone feels that way. For my part, I don't really like too much attention. I welcome questions from the genuinely interested and always try to be open to children but I tire of the stupid and often inappropriate questions that come from the general public. On a field where you are the only (or perhaps one of two) old cars this is likely to be the overwhelming majority. To make a rather weak analogy, if someone were to give me tickets to the Super Bowl, I'd give them away because I hate crowds and there is nothing about it that interests me.