Double Trouble. Keiser31 and Dandy Dave

Dandy Dave

So if you are going to comment here about a subject who gets to use the computer first? Have you decided if a Buick or Dodge is best/better of all the car makes  yet? I know you will both agree that whatever car you are discussing it will be pre WWII and have running boards...........😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Walt G said:

So if you are going to comment here about a subject who gets to use the computer first? Have you decided if a Buick or Dodge is best/better of all the car makes  yet? I know you will both agree that whatever car you are discussing it will be pre WWII and have running boards...........😁

Well they're all good if you  put the key in, it starts, and takes you for an enjoyable ride. 😁

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Perfect timing! I've been looking for something to put in the garden this summer to keep the pests away! 😃

All kidding aside, I do enjoy reading these guys posts and they are both not only knowledgeable but helpful too. Looks like they're having a great time!

• Haha 2

One of the best parts of these forums is all the wonderful people we get to know here! Even if we often never do get to meet them face to face. 

I haven't been able to get out and away much in recent years. But here I get to keep in touch with Grimy and a number of other old friends, as well as several people I have known on this and other forums. And just a couple days ago, I discovered another regular poster here that was in fact a very good friend from over fifty years ago! One of the reasons I use my real name is that I like for people that know me to know that this is me. But I also understand that a lot of people do have good reasons to use pseudonyms. And for many people, those reasons are simply it is part of the internet way? 

I can be opinionated (who, ME?). And sometimes I am outspoken to a fault! That is part of me. So I still like to be known for who and what I am. But that is me.

I do hope my situation can yet change, and hopefully before too much longer, so that I can get back out there on tours and to shows and club meetings. And I want to get out there and meet some of the forum people I have gotten to know. There are numerous meets and even old friends that are in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, and even some farther states that I want to go to. I want to meet forum friends along the way.

So glad to see this and the photos of the two of you!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Just please tell me Pegasus was like that when you got him...🥺   J/K, I know neither of you would do that!

Old car friends are generally the best. Glad you were able to connect.

I found Pegasus in an old orchard lying next to a Dodge Dart. It was rolled up in a ball by a D9 Cat. The orchard owner told me that I could have it if I wanted it so I took it home, of course. When I got home, I donned two pairs of safety goggles and gloves and started unbending the sign. The porcelain was flying off as I straightened it out. The result is the best I could do by hand. I couldn't get the kink out of the neck. I looked around and thought this to be the ideal place for it. It just fit like it was made for that spot.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

What a pair! What a pair!😛

Ben

That’s a pair that beats a full house!

• Haha 4

Just finished watching the NASCAR race & got on the AACA. Here is Dandy Dave & Keiser31 at the top of the page. I have not meet Keiser31 in person, if he's anything like Dave he's one good guy. Dave came by my both at PIR & of course I wasn't there. My son Derek was & he called me right away, I was about a 10 minute walk away. When I got back there Derek & Dave were sitting in the chairs talking, I joined in. After 30 or so minutes Dave thought he should go up to EXPO. I gave him a ride in my golf cart over to the bus stop as our conversation continued. What a wealth of knowledge. I was glade to meet Dave. Then there is Jack what a character. I'm glade he sold his car why I was there. What a fun time meeting both Dave & Jack in person.

Jim Swear57

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Swear57 said:

Just finished watching the NASCAR race & got on the AACA. Here is Dandy Dave & Keiser31 at the top of the page. I have not meet Keiser31 in person, if he's anything like Dave he's one good guy. Dave came by my both at PIR & of course I wasn't there. My son Derek was & he called me right away, I was about a 10 minute walk away. When I got back there Derek & Dave were sitting in the chairs talking, I joined in. After 30 or so minutes Dave thought he should go up to EXPO. I gave him a ride in my golf cart over to the bus stop as our conversation continued. What a wealth of knowledge. I was glade to meet Dave. Then there is Jack what a character. I'm glade he sold his car why I was there. What a fun time meeting both Dave & Jack in person.

Jim Swear57

Thanks Jim. Hopefully are paths will cross again. 🙂 We can sure talk tractors.

Swear57. The first tractor I rebuild for a local farmer was a W-6 McCormick Deering. I was about 14 years old at the time. Looking though some old photo albums I found this photo of it. I plowed with it some after I rebuilt the engine to break it in. I always liked that old tractor. That is Erving Garrison in the drivers seat. Also a photo of a 1932 Farmall F-12 I had when I was around the same age. The other two are the 1924 15-30, and 10-20 McCormick- Deering tractors I rescued. Both were in their working cloths but I did make them run like a clock. Dandy Dave!

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

• Like 2

Swear57. Some more photos of the 10-20 and 15-30. Both had the round governor housings. The rear wheels were optional "road wheels" for doing work on highways back in the day. (See, this is automotive related AACA members. 😃) You can find this info in, "150 Years of IHC" by C.H. Wendel. They had twice as many spokes as the standard wheels at the time and also the angle iron style lugs as opposed to the more common pointed spades. The "Twin carburetors set up on the 15-30 was to feed water to the engine when the tractor was run on Kerosene. It helped keep the cylinders from building up carbon. The later 15-30's had brass injectors in the manifold to do the same thing. Three tanks on it. One to start on gas. One for kerosene. And the one nearest the engine for the water injection. Dandy Dave!

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

IMG_3403.JPG

So this I take it this is the W-6 McCormick Deering? It looks similar to the McCormick tractor my grandfather was still using when I was really little. I don't have any real information on that tractor, they sold the largest portions of the ranch when I was about ten, and the McCormick went away at about that time. I have tried for years to identify the McCormick, even spent hours searching the internet and tractor sites, but never found a picture any closer to their McCormick than this one. Unfortunately I don't have any real information about that tractor. Just what I remember. I did drive it a number of times. It was my favorite tractor to drive. The seat had been removed and sat in a corner of the tractor repair shop for several years. So one stood up on a small rear deck, and operated the controls. My dad was a large man, there was barely enough room for him and me on that deck, even when I was under ten years old. It had two big brake levers, one to each rear wheel. Using the brake levers improperly could flip the tractor over! Hired hands managed to do that a few times. Dad and grandpa got tired of straightening the damage, and quit letting the hired hands drive that one. So often during harvest, it was dad and I ran the McCormick while hired hands drove the safer Ford orchard tractors. Dad would ride along and let me drive it into and out of the orchards, pulling trailers loaded with peaches.

In later years, I often asked what year the old McCormick was. But nobody seemed to know. It was built before the World War 2 was the best answer I could get.

It had pneumatic tires front and rear, but I don't know if it was original that way or not. The only name I ever saw on it was "McCormick"? I don't know if Deering or something else belonged or not?

I have always wanted to get a couple old tractors. The Fords I drove solo often, and a McCormick of the mid to late 1930s would be at the top of my want list. But at this point, that is not likely to happen.

Ah, yes. Some fuzzy old photo and Sheldon is off down a rabbit hole again!

Enjoy your trip DD! And the visit keiser31!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

So this I take it this is the W-6 McCormick Deering? It looks similar to the McCormick tractor my grandfather was still using when I was really little. I don't have any real information on that tractor, they sold the largest portions of the ranch when I was about ten, and the McCormick went away at about that time. I have tried for years to identify the McCormick, even spent hours searching the internet and tractor sites, but never found a picture any closer to their McCormick than this one. Unfortunately I don't have any real information about that tractor. Just what I remember. I did drive it a number of times. It was my favorite tractor to drive. The seat had been removed and sat in a corner of the tractor repair shop for several years. So one stood up on a small rear deck, and operated the controls. My dad was a large man, there was barely enough room for him and me on that deck, even when I was under ten years old. It had two big brake levers, one to each rear wheel. Using the brake levers improperly could flip the tractor over! Hired hands managed to do that a few times. Dad and grandpa got tired of straightening the damage, and quit letting the hired hands drive that one. So often during harvest, it was dad and I ran the McCormick while hired hands drove the safer Ford orchard tractors. Dad would ride along and let me drive it into and out of the orchards, pulling trailers loaded with peaches.

In later years, I often asked what year the old McCormick was. But nobody seemed to know. It was built before the World War 2 was the best answer I could get.

It had pneumatic tires front and rear, but I don't know if it was original that way or not. The only name I ever saw on it was "McCormick"? I don't know if Deering or something else belonged or not?

I have always wanted to get a couple old tractors. The Fords I drove solo often, and a McCormick of the mid to late 1930s would be at the top of my want list. But at this point, that is not likely to happen.

Ah, yes. Some fuzzy old photo and Sheldon is off down a rabbit hole again!

Enjoy your trip DD! And the visit keiser31!

Before WWII an IHC McCormick standard tractor would have been something like a W-30 or W-40. Or the Orchard version possibly with the two brake levers. These are not as common as the standard tractors. I had a 1936 O-12 once. It had a hand clutch and foot brakes in the orchard version but was small. The W-12 had a foot clutch and hand brakes. Not enough room for you to ride on though. Dandy Dave.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/GF1115-225621/1937-mccormick-deering-w-30/

a152ca3d579e984c9c735474f8476716.jpg

• Like 1

If it had styled sheet metal then It could have been a W-6  or O-6 but these were not built until 1940 and the war was already on although we were not in it. These had the same engine as the famous Farmall M and could also have been in the Diesel version. True IHC Orchard tractors had a hand clutch and foot brakes. The W's had a foot clutch and foot brakes. There was also an O-4 and a W-4. that looked similar but were smaller. These had the same engine as the famous Farmall H. 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CJ0717-301663/1951-mccormick-deering-w6/

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/004/9/9/4991-mccormick-deering-os-6.html

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/004/9/9/4990-mccormick-deering-o-6-photos.html

Reminds me the Halifax County Heritage Festival is next month. Always a big "old tractor" display along with beaucoup other "old things". One fellow usually has a dozen or more Olivers on display.

Kid down the road is taking a 1952 John Deere B and his great-grandfather's 1940 Farmall H, along with a couple of 1950s Pioneer chainsaws.

Then there's the Southeast Old Threshers Reunion in Denton NC week of July 4.

• Like 1

Now, after a great breakfast, Dandy Dave is on his way to even MORE adventures! Thanks for stopping by, Dave! We had a blast! Stop by any time. That goes for all of you on the AACA.

IMG_1136 (1).JPG

IMG_1137 (1).JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:26 AM, oldford said:

Is that 'Breadboard' or 'Dreadboard"??

Old Ford. I spent some time with your Niece Lori. She said to be sure to tell Uncle Frank and Uncle John to come out for a visit sometime. She would love to see you and her cousins also. She reminds me so much of her mom Marge. We talked about old car adventures and the Marmon's that her dad had. The one you ended up with was the Limo that your brother Louie used when I got married years ago. Good memories.   

IMG_3839.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG