1955 Special... here we go

D0C

Greetings all! 

So I've found myself the proud owner of a time capsule of a '55 Special sedan. I am the second official owner of the car. One family, Texas built, Texas kept. It's last registration was 1989-1990. I decoded most of everything I can find on the car. Need to go through and check for any options I could have missed. But it's almost completely original and very complete, I've just found some engine wiring replaced. Even has the elusive factory A/C still intact in the trunk and the glass windshield washer jar. Now, I won't admit to knowing a lot about these cars. Closest thing I have done was a '57 210 and while similar at a glance, I have recently found that pretty much the silhouette is about its only similarity 😅

Glad to be a part of this group btw, while you guys and gals were easy to find, parts and info on these cars is not. I look forward to scrolling the pages, asking questions and learning a heap of knowledge here. I promise to use the search bar as often as possible too. Hope you guys have some insight for me as well. What to do, not do, what to look for, and what P.I.T.A. things can be avoided 🤣

Here's some pics of the new money pit. Happy to take pics for anyone that may need factory locations or set up of things OEM style as I believe this thing hasn't been altered much if at all, Or if someone just wants to see something in particular for any reason.

P.S. - I did vacuum out and power wash the car last night (picked it up yesterday afternoon)  but no real "Starting point" pics of it yet really besides the ones I snapped randomly yesterday and the ad pics. nothing really post-wash. It will need several more cleanings for sure but I did find the oem paint (BDD) and the dover white and windsor grey are still there under all those rust stains!

989892.jpg

989893.jpg

989896.jpg

989897.jpg

989898.jpg

989899.jpg

20220130_184349.jpg

20220131_102933.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Mark!

Going to start combing through components for life this week. Haven't tried to turn the engine over yet, assuming at this point it's free, I took a little roll down a hill to my trailer in it yesterday.. that considered a test drive? 🙃

She's solid but the rubber mats (oem somehow?? Maybe a remake?) did a number to the floors front and rear. Most rust seems to be outer (tunnel looks solid) so finding good metal to weld new floors to will be fun. May need inner rockers and braces too to solidify?

DOC:

Your pictures are very reminiscent of my '55 Century when I first brought it home.  It was lots of work but I enjoyed every minute of it.  Here are some before and after pictures of mine.  So keep at it and congratulations on your new "baby."

9 - At Home - Air Cleaner Missing.jpg

36 - Firewall Before Restoration.JPG

39 - Firewall After Restoration.JPG

45 - Engine Rebuild - The Finished Product.JPG

• Like 4

Greetings DOC.  That is an interesting car being a Special with factory AC.  After a quick look at your pictures I would like to point out a few things you may already know.  Just by pass those you already have learned.

* It looks like your engine is hosting a 4 bbl carb?  If so, that will be an exceptionally rare oil bath aircleaner.  And although many people find a paper filter alternative to the oil bath Air Cleaner, it is generally accepted that the oil bath air cleaner is actually more efficient at filtering out dust and dirt.  

* The master brake cylinder on this car is located underneath the driver's side floor pan.  There should be a port in the floor pan for checking the fluid level. 

*  The coolant system in this car uses a lot of hose.  The trans cooler is remote, located on the rear of the transmission, so coolant lines go there and back.  Also the car should have a heater under the drivers seat, which coolant hoses for that. Plus it should have a defroster core on the side of the firewall, with more coolant hoses to there.  The defroster core also utilizes a "Ranco Valve" which you can see all nicley shinned on Joes engione pictures.  That might be a weak link in the system.  But they can be rebuilt.

* The hoods on this car could be troublesome.  That seems to be due to the hinges being on the firewall unlike later cars, and no underside frame between the back and front of the hood.  I would recommend liberal lubrication of each hood hinge joint with ATF fluid, and careful operation of the hood till you are comfortable with any possible weaknesses.

Welcome to this forum, and I look forward to more pictures when you can get to it. 

• Like 4

JohnD, you're right.  There are a lot of heater hoses on the '55s.  I replaced all of mine as they were cracking from age.  And I measured them, 31 feet in all.

Also your caution about the hood reminded me of when I was young my father, who owned a '55 Special, would always yell to the gas station attendant (remember those guys?), "DON'T SLAM THE HOOD!"  The way to shut the hood is to lay it down, then press it into the locked position.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Joe: Definitely a strong resemblance to how your Century started!! I'm not used to cars that old being so unmolested or tampered with. Mine was a very pleasant finding for sure. Love the pics, Keep 'em comin'! Thanks for the encouragement, it is something that keeps us car nuts spurred on and moving forward!

John: It's an interesting one for sure. I've restored a decent amount of cars (Professionally and personally) and the options on this car have really stood out to me.  A Special with A/C, power steering, windshield washer, and a non standard interior package. There are several options I'm sure I don't know about yet, those are just the obvious ones. One owner, straight-ish car. Very little pieces missing. Keeps me from having to play guessing games with things. Even the factory fan and shroud are in it... The radiator took a hit to the top tank though. Going to take it to a local radiator shop and see if they can pull it and replace the upper tank or I can straighten it and braze it back on. 

* I think its a 2bbl but honestly I have not pulled the filter off to confirm. I need the numbers off of it anyway to get a rebuild kit coming so I need to check asap. I'll let you my findings

* I am aware of the frame mount master cylinder, but I have not looked at it. I know it needs to be replaced though, there was no clamping force while I was trying to load it (that was fun) I had the Mrs. at the ready with a wheel chock (and it got used) 🤣 Did these cars come with power brakes from the factory? I figured if one of these had to have it, it's this one.

* I did notice there's miles of hoses in this thing, and that drives me nuts. I like visual simplicity in my vehicles and this one is gonna be a chore to tidy up. I'll have a look at the defroster and heater core. Once I confirm engine and trans health, the interior will come out and I'll have a better look at the cores and hoses then to know what condition they're in. Also glad to know the ranco valves can be rebuilt, it's actually really nice how lots of the components of this car can be rebuilt instead of replaced (i.e.- starter, generator, p/s pump etc)/ 

*The hood has actually sprung up so fast it clocked me in the jaw already, so unfortunately/fortunately it's in good working order 😅 Every joint in this rig definitely needs liberal applications of lube though. The ebrake and other similar pivoting items are frozen in place. The hood will definitely see ample lube if its a known area of failure/issue 

*You will definitely be seeing this carcass hanging around this forum. Its been prioritized by the Lady for immediate completion 🙃

Joe: ..... 31ft?!?!?!?!?! good lord.... What's the total coolant capacity? Anyone ever measured? haha

Powerage: I know, right?!? I saw them in the ad pics, it was a big reason I had to see the car for myself... then it just happened to follow me home ... but that's how it always goes.. right? .... guys... right???? 🤣

• Haha 1

I’m thankful that you are restoring this car as opposed to using it for a parts car. Unfortunately too many relatively complete and solid ones become a parts car for 2 door models. There are a couple of Special parts cars in a local junkyard. One 2 door and a 4 door. Keep us posted on your progress and lots of pics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rusty Heaps said:

I’m thankful that you are restoring this car as opposed to using it for a parts car. Unfortunately too many relatively complete and solid ones become a parts car for 2 door models. There are a couple of Special parts cars in a local junkyard. One 2 door and a 4 door. Keep us posted on your progress and lots of pics.

Thanks Rusty, funny enough the craigslist ad for the car mentioned it being a great "Parts Car" or an "Uphill battle to a resto" ... I was like... Thanks for the encouragement guy 😅 I'm not one to usually part out a car. I did scrap 2 trucks to build one of my C10s though... still feel bad about it haha. Every car deserves a shot to get back on the road as far as I'm concerned. I have a standing bet with my engine machinist who gave me a '67 RS/SS camaro because it was "Useless swiss cheese". He had used it as a parts car and left the rest sitting on steel wheels out back. I told him it could be done, so he gave me the car and told me I had 2 yrs 😬

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

My condolences!  But I have started with worse:  HERE

All of us enablers are here to help.

Thanks for the enabling Tank!! Haha.  Funny enough, I've actually scrolled through some of your work prior to my Buick following me home. Love the vert. I feel like a 2dr is in my future after this one hits the road. Maybe even a vert. Probably something with more attitude than I'll give this one. I'm enjoying the originality a lot. 

Here's a couple more. Where it was dragged out from, and the first washin. You can see the white coming through the top after a 1/8in of nasty was carved off of it with the pressure washer haha

IMG_9848.jpg.e8c5fd6d2452e1e2104842e04eeea0b1.jpgIMG_9908.jpg.421352c315d7419f23622c929e69c2e2.jpgIMG_9877.jpg.4efd68e58d775883fe269c746d02b49c.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

• Like 4

Great find.  The way to get them is like you got it and... its great to see another 4 door post sedan getting a new lease on life.  Your car looks very similar to mine but maybe a little rougher.  Thankfully mine was sitting under a carport but, it sat there for 53 years.  It is now running and driving.  

You came to the right place.  This forum is a wealth of knowledge and without their help, my car would not be where it is today.  Good luck with your endeavor and welcome to the forum.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

Great find.  The way to get them is like you got it and... its great to see another 4 door post sedan getting a new lease on life.  Your car looks very similar to mine but maybe a little rougher.  Thankfully mine was sitting under a carport but, it sat there for 53 years.  It is now running and driving.  

You came to the right place.  This forum is a wealth of knowledge and without their help, my car would not be where it is today.  Good luck with your endeavor and welcome to the forum.  

The condition definitely made it borderline impossible to pass on. I'd like to say my car had lived in a barn or something indoors and it may have, but it's certainly been moved outside in the last decade or 2 for sure.

2 hours ago, KAD36 said:

Welcome.  Here to help.  Special with factory AC - seems your car is uniquely optioned. Looks like a pretty complete starting point.  Look forward to the fun

Thanks Ken!! It is a strange one, and I'm really excited about the completeness of the car for sure. Never had the opportunity to work on a car this old, this original or this complete. Its a real treat for sure.

Are the Special suspensions similar to 1954 and earlier Chevrolet sedan kingpin suspension? Or is my only bet going with Jamco or something? 

• Like 1

They be kingpins needing a BFH for sure.  Probably same GM design of the era with upper and lower shafts and bushings but that’s a WAG - no 54 Chev experience here.  Number of places carry quality replacements as well as shafts and bushings unless you’re modifying.  What are your plans or still mulling it over?  Sounds like you’ve done this before.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KAD36 said:

They be kingpins needing a BFH for sure.  Probably same GM design of the era with upper and lower shafts and bushings but that’s a WAG - no 54 Chev experience here.  Number of places carry quality replacements as well as shafts and bushings unless you’re modifying.  What are your plans or still mulling it over?  Sounds like you’ve done this before.

Oh ya, I expect a good fight, I better win in the end though haha. 54 and earlier A body gm cars were king pin, I think they all pretty much moved over to a standard style ball joint in '55+. I've been hunting for crossover parts within these years with Chevy stuff just for the availability. 

Ya, definitely not my first rodeo, but this '55 is hitting some firsts for sure. My plan as of now is to replace the floors, and I'd like to replace the wiring but after seeing the prices of period correct-ish harnesses, I may leave that one for the future. Clean up the chrome and tap as many dents as I can out of it. Lower it a couple inches, white walls and clean up the oem paint and let it ride. Small updates will likely happen

1 hour ago, powerage said:

Don't paint it!!!!!!

No worries Powerage!! I have no intentions of painting it. The term patina is poorly used these days, but bringing out and sporting what's left of the original paint is all I intend on doing. The rockers aren't great and will probably get replaced, but I'll match the paint color and blend it back in when I do. 

58 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

Congratulations on this find.  I wish you well with this restoration.  Especially, this one being an AC car.  Please post as much as you can.  I will be following.

Thanks Kosage! The a/c certainly has me excited to dig into. I'll post any and all findings as I go. I'd like as much of the factory features as operational as I can.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, D0C said:

I've been hunting for crossover parts within these years with Chevy stuff just for the availability. 

I haven't found many Chevy crossover parts.  So far it's been a choice between Buick or Buick.  :) In my view that's what makes these cars so much better to restore.  Not everyone can have a Buick but, pretty much everyone can have a Chevy.  Heck you can practically build a Chevy just by ordering parts but, these cars, its a lot of taking what you have and making it work.  That's not to say there's no parts available but, the parts available are limited.  On a good note, I have found most parts rebuildable.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

1957 was FIRST, I believe, Buick with ball joints.

Ben

I believe you are correct. At least from the parts catalogs and a few pics I've found. I'm ok with the kingpins, Id just prefer the ride and available parts on a ball joint setup. No other real reason. I'll go through the suspension completely anyway in its stock form. This car is nothing but a cruiser, so it better sit right and ride good haha

4 hours ago, Rusty Heaps said:

Pontiac was still using kingpins in the mid ‘50s. 

I think Chevy switched first then the rest followed in the coming years. I've noticed a trend while hunting Buick parts; Chevy and Pontiac are close and Buick and Olds are close, and Caddy's are just Caddys it seems 

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

That top is a rare option, Algean Petri, I think is the grain.

moss.jpg.5e48d1e6be06751bd49f085299b1a4dc.jpg

🤣🤣🤣 Another option in the "Rare Column" Bahahaha, That's crazy... The Scandinavian Grass Roof trend for the American road

3 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

I haven't found many Chevy crossover parts.  So far it's been a choice between Buick or Buick.  :) In my view that's what makes these cars so much better to restore.  Not everyone can have a Buick but, pretty much everyone can have a Chevy.  Heck you can practically build a Chevy just by ordering parts but, these cars, its a lot of taking what you have and making it work.  That's not to say there's no parts available but, the parts available are limited.  On a good note, I have found most parts rebuildable.

Nor have I. Granted I haven't been looking for a long time. You are right, Buick is Buick. I do like that, while almost similar, It's totally different. I won't say better to restore in a "Easy" sense, but seems more rewarding for sure. And you don't see a lot of Buicks, Olds or Pontiacs. Rare I guess for someone to have to take any further effort in the resto process than necessary due to lack of parts etc. I have also noticed the weird availability of rebuild kits for the Buicks though, it's pretty great. Starter, fuel pump, generator, heater valves apparently too!! (Thanks for the info JohnD)

"Buick or Buick" haha, I like that 

Any idea what happened to the driver's side door handles?  If you're interested, I think @MrEarl (Lamar) is selling some.

On another note, some thing I can think of to be aware of, the rims are Buick only because of the large center cutout and because Buick uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts.  Your rims look good so hopefully not a problem for you.  There are many that will fit (any 5x5, 15X6 rim) if you enlarge the center cutout.   This was one of the hardest things for me to find when I got my car.  You probably have much more abilities and facilities than me so that may not be an issue for you.  Moral of the story, take good care of your rims.  :)

Edited by usnavystgc (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, usnavystgc said:

Any idea what happened to the driver's side door handles?  If you're interested, I think @MrEarl (Lamar) is selling some.

Ha, I don't know actually, thought it was a werid thing to have missing. I was pretty bummed about that. I need to pop the door panels off and see if the linkages and internals are there too I suppose.. The driver door doesnt latch at all but the driver rear works fine except I can only open it from the inside. I'd definitely be interested in a pair for sure. 

Might you know where I can find matched key locks for the car? I can only find individual locks for the doors, trunk, ign etc. but nothing keyed together. Am I chasing a ghost?

1 minute ago, D0C said:

Might you know where I can find matched key locks for the car? I can only find individual locks for the doors, trunk, ign etc. but nothing keyed together. Am I chasing a ghost?

I'm no expert, I'm new at this game but, in my limited experience, you're likely chasing a ghost however, a competent locksmith can key them all the same for you if you can just get some lock bodies/cylinders.  They should even be able to match your current key.

• Like 1

Just now, usnavystgc said:

I'm no expert, I'm new at this game but, in my limited experience, you're likely chasing a ghost however, a competent locksmith can key them all the same for you if you can just get some lock bodies/cylinders.  They should even be able to match your current key.

I'll quiz my local locksmith to do that. I'd hate to have like 4 different keys to open everything. The individual cylinders seem to be available without looking terribly hard 

5 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Hope you live in Texas..... we have a rule that old cars cannot be removed from the state

Haha, yessir I do! 🤣 I live just north of Austin! This ole girl is staying put! 

4 hours ago, KAD36 said:

Is it done yet?

Alllmost there! Another day or 200 and it will be hittin the road! 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, D0C said:

My car has no keys. The only locks in the car are the pass side door, ign and the glove box (is it keyed?). The trunk and driver door are missing. 

IDK if you looked but, Chevy lock cylinders may work for this car.  I know the keys just say GM on them.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

IDK if you looked but, Chevy lock cylinders may work for this car.  I know the keys just say GM on them.

I'll yank one out and compare a gm cylinder to it. I'm sure I have a few laying around

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:54 PM, D0C said:

She's solid but the rubber mats (oem somehow?? Maybe a remake?) did a number to the floors front and rear.

Rubber mats were standard on the base Special and are most likely original.  The biggest problem with them was that they trapped moisture under them and rusted out the floor.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:54 PM, D0C said:

Thanks Mark!

Going to start combing through components for life this week. Haven't tried to turn the engine over yet, assuming at this point it's free, I took a little roll down a hill to my trailer in it yesterday.. that considered a test drive? 🙃

She's solid but the rubber mats (oem somehow?? Maybe a remake?) did a number to the floors front and rear. Most rust seems to be outer (tunnel looks solid) so finding good metal to weld new floors to will be fun. May need inner rockers and braces too to solidify?

The rubber mat is NOS and on eBay.  Just the front. I was fortunate to get a NOS mat that was pliable. This one states it pliable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Floor-Mat-for-1954-1956-Buick-40-series-special-Century-front-contour-mat-/284414961896?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

• Like 1