Super Car Week and Cavallino in Palm Beach this week.

edinmass

One of the more interesting car shows in the country is on this week. It's all post war and modern super cars......along with the main Ferrari show for the Western Hemisphere  The Cavallino event. Personally modern and post was stuff doesn't interest me, although I'm fortunate that I have been able to drive a variety of them............they are just too dam fast and I'm too old to drive something with 1000 horsepower. The super car event is mostly open to the public for free....with some private events and charities doing dinners and such at some major car collections............so, the reason for this post.........most of the truck drivers hauling cars here unload out front and in our neighborhood...........so we get to see and hear some of the top shelf wheels and their owners........this was just unloaded about ten minutes ago.........I have no clue what series Fiat this is, except that it probably costs as much as a used 747.

IMG_4944.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

As an artist and historian I can appreciate the long low sleek look that lets metal ( or plastic?) slip through the air rapidly ( as Ed states faster then he wants to go - me too) but I am just not into the "boy racer" type cars as the Brits say. A friend said it best for me when I was in England decades ago he said  "The cars look like half sucked sweets"  in England a 'sweet' is a hard piece of candy, so one that is half used up is all rounded off .  I thought that a good description.

Besides for me to ride in one of these it would be hard to twist , crouch down etc to get into one. I like riding higher up off the ground as well  where you can observe more things then the center of hubcaps of semi trucks.........................to each his own .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Some guys get to have all the fun!  

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

...a world renowned Ferrari, everyone else's dream car...

To me, it's interesting how some cars are seen as

desirable--and people spend large amounts on them--

and others may be valued much less. 

As I've said before, I'd rather enjoy a 1934 Hupmobile or

a 1976 Buick Electra than a vintage Ferrari!  The Ferrari

is small and light and goes faster;  The Electra is large

and comfortable and is a joy to drive on scenic highways. 

So why is the Ferrari worth over a million, while the Electra

is perhaps 1/100 the value?

"Renown" is only the attention that they get, which may

be here today and gone in the future--not some eternal

truth.  I agree with Walt:

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I am just not into the "boy racer" type cars...

When I was a young man it was fun to race an MGA 1600, It was a ball to race an AUSTIN HEALY 3000 as I got a little older, Then came the Datsun 240, 260 & 280's and 300 finally the Honda S2000 was a wild great time.  After a number of surgery on the old body getting in and out became a real challenge. When a friend offered an MG TC to me for a vintage race and I could no longer contort my legs or upper body to get in it I knew it was time to leave the sports cars behind.  The 38 Studebaker is big, easy to get in and Gracie loves the back seat for rides. How can you go wrong with a blonde in the back seat.  So no Ferrari's in the future but they are nice to look at.

dave s  

grace window.JPG

• Like 4

One interesting aspect of my job is “spill over” cars that I get to drive. Unfortunately, 99 percent can’t be photographed or discussed. In the last 12 months I have driven well over a dozen eight figure cars..........I would like to fall in love with one of those fancy Fiat 250 GTO’s, but to me if I can’t pound the hell out of it.......I rather not play with them. Most interesting lesson learned in the last year......all the insane Alfa’s that you read so much about..........aren’t much better than a Packard standard eight with a go cart body on them. I was terribly disappointed with several I  drove. I’m still in love with American iron. 

• Like 4

I like vintage Ferrari's , but don't worship them. Today's value on a GTO is beyond insane. Lots of other cars , only slightly newer and just as historic , that sell for a fraction. Plus you can actually put them through their paces with worrying about the car nearly as much. I have seen them out on the track at the Monterey Historics several times. They usually motor around at the back of the pack and try not to get in the way of the cars that are cheap enough to be pushed hard. Not cheap cars, just not truly out of this world. Give me a Chevron sports racer with a Hart 420 any day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

A friend said it best for me when I was in England decades ago he said  "The cars look like half sucked sweets"  in England a 'sweet' is a hard piece of candy, so one that is half used up is all rounded off .  I thought that a good description.

I thought in North America, its called the 'half-used bar of soap' look.

Craig

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I will post more photos in the next day or two..........some crazy stuff running around this weekend. Sunday is a party at The Donald’s place..........and the feature cars on display will be way above average. 

• Like 1

I've always loved low, 2 seater sports cars. Started at age 18 in 1964 when a fellow student at Acadia University took me for a spin in his sparkling new Austin Healy 3000, a high school graduation gift from his grandmother, we should all be so lucky! He even let me drive it for a mile or so of twisting rural roads. I soon owned a '59 Corvair powered Karmann Ghia during university days and on graduation bought a new 1970 Triumph TR6. From 1975-1995, family haulers were the fix. But then I bought a 1990 Nissan 300ZX, simply a wonderful driving car and great looking car. Sold it about 5 years ago as it was starting to age, but fun ride. Approaching 76 years old, still prefer 2 seats, 2 doors, low and sleek and some good looks. And red always works. Here's my poor man's version of a Ferrari and a lot easier to maintain. The T-Top made these cars a perfect combination, and manual transmission with rear-wheel drive a must.

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4267.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Ed, is that a three seat Fiat?  
dave s 

Well, it’s gonna be a Fiae............fix it again Ed! 🥸

To be fair......I’m not fixing it.......just helped it get to the shop across the street for a real Fiat mechanic.........I’m a low class Frenchman........not Italian. Although some call me Don Fanucci!

EFADA1C8-9028-4EBA-8939-8D40F07EA561.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m told that VW kit car runs 60..........and not mph!  So much for the working mans ride.........someone said short nose series II......... what ever that means. 

Anyone have a bargain Duesenberg SSJ for 20?

51 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Well, it’s gonna be a Fiae............fix it again Ed! 🥸

To be fair......I’m not fixing it.......just helped it get to the shop across the street for a real Fiat mechanic.........I’m a low class Frenchman........not Italian. Although some call me Don Fanucci!

EFADA1C8-9028-4EBA-8939-8D40F07EA561.png

Watch out for Antonio Andolinni , Or Robert DeNiro.........

• Haha 1

They are expensive enough that it is not unknown for owners to have an exact replica that they can actually use. 

Put it this way, I would have to be 2 or perhaps 3 times as wealthy as I am to own many of my dream cars. A GTO would mean I was 2 or 3 hundred times as wealthy.

I would really like to own a Chevron some day, most are not in road trim but this one is. 5 or 6 years newer than a GTO .

This particular car is a continuation example built by Chevron in the early 1980's . But apart from the serial number is identical to those built in 1969 and 70. Just 1/2 the price of one from the first build group. About the same number built as GTO's so not an everyday sight. But a tiny fraction of the price. Really just as fast, in the hands of the right driver probably faster. And an engine freshen up might set you back 20 G's rather than 120 ++.

image.png.9157a9c9470ca51250457f4c7339abbf.png

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are a lot of cars faster than the Ferrari GTO, but you CAN drive the Ferrari on the street - but nobody does because they are too expensive now, as are a lot of the big buck Ferraris. It is a shame, because they are a whole lot of fun to drive if you have an appropriate place to drive them. (very difficult these days).

I love the looks of the late 20's and early '30s Packards. As for driving them...they are "trucks". They dont go, dont stop and dont corner.  But there WERE made to look good in.

I’ve heard/read “Fiat” corporate event was rather lackluster in attendance by both cars and people.

Few months back, I was considering entering couple of vintage “Fiats” to a model designated “special” class they featured (or were supposed to ?) this year, but glad now I didn’t bother.

Are the crowds at M-a-L huuuge  or at least biggest ever ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

The photos I posted were taken at 8 AM. Ticket to get into the

Cavallino is 3600. It was sold out. As was sports car Sunday. Participation looks identical to me for the last five years. 

868AF269-5C0E-4101-9EF9-F4C9DEC8D7C9.jpeg

11 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

LOL - he can't drive a car as an EX-President. They are prohibited from driving so all of the cars are show cars only. 

dave s 

One could guess, the Donald does as he pleases...........😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

So what kind of a meal does 3600 get you?   The wife wants to know. 

Not sure......I won’t and don’t pay. Last week at the CCCA dinner it was fillet mignon and lobster tail for 350.....basically decent hotel banquet food. 3600 gets you more than dinner......but not much more. Interesting crowd and people watching was fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Not sure......I won’t and don’t pay. Last week at the CCCA dinner it was fillet mignon and lobster tail for 350.....basically decent hotel banquet food. 3600 gets you more than dinner......but not much more. Interesting crowd and people watching was fun.

Thank you for a look at an event most of us will not get to see, along with "The Quale" during car week on Monterey. Bob 

7 minutes ago, edinmass said:

So the food is pretty much free,  but it's the entertainment that's expensive.   Got it.    

I was thinking if it was just the food it better be your choice of Dodo bird or Unicorn with a fresh Beverage from Ponce De Leon's Fountain. ;) 

• Like 1