2022 Rose Parade

29 Chandler

Pasadena ... and the Rose Bowl Parade ... has got to be near as

Heaven on Earth as there is on this planet (watching Ohio State and Utah in the Rose Bowl presently...)

Only HERSHEY outranks Pasadena for the # 1 Heaven on Earth, but you can bank on the weather being better at the Rose Bowl Parade !!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You guys really didn’t know who Audie Murphy was?

The most decorated soldier of WWII

• Like 5

They made a movie about him and they got him to star in it. They really should start teaching a little more American History in schools again. 
dave s 

Medal of Honor Recipient Audie Murphy Single-handedly Stopped a German Attack

From Murphy’s exposed position on top of the burning tank destroyer, he killed over 20 German soldiers and repelled their attack 75 years ago. 

January 26, 2020

On January 26, 1945, 2nd Lieutenant Audie L. Murphy was commanding company B of the 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, near the French village of Holtzwihr when six German tanks and several hundred infantrymen attacked his company. Murphy ordered his men to fall back to defensive positions in nearby woods while he covered their withdrawal and called down artillery to slow the German advance. German fire hit an American tank destroyer nearby and set it on fire. Witnesses later recalled how he “climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy.” From Murphy’s exposed position on top of the burning tank destroyer, he killed over 20 German soldiers and repelled their attack. For more than an hour, Murphy continued to fire the machine gun, despite being wounded in the leg. He then led his company in a counterattack that killed or wounded 50 more German soldiers.

On April 23, 1945, at the age of only 19, Murphy received the Medal of Honor for his actions. Though Murphy’s heroism on January 26 was extraordinary, it was not the first time Murphy had distinguished himself. He had previously received over 20 awards for valor, including the Distinguished Service Cross, two Silver Star medals, and two Bronze Star medals for valor in Italy and France. After receiving the Medal of Honor, Murphy was widely celebrated as the most decorated American soldier in World War II and was featured on the cover of Life magazine.

After the war, Murphy’s national celebrity status brought him to the attention of Hollywood. He went on to have a prolific country music songwriting and acting career, starring in 44 feature films, including the movie adaptation of his autobiography, To Hell and Back. Despite Murphy’s stardom and success, the soft-spoken veteran was never comfortable being the center of attention.

Murphy died on May 28, 1971 at the age of 45 in a plane crash near Roanoke, Virginia. He was buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

Even here "downunder" I knew who Audie Murphy was. 😉 Just trying to lighten things up with a little humour.😁Humour doesn't easily translate from thoughts to the page at times. Have to sprinkle around some emoticons next time I post a humorous response I guess.🤔

• Like 3

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

alsancle, Ozstatman, Dave S., Avanti Bill:  Unfortunately we  are hearing from some that think Saigon was a city outside of Hoboken or the Mars Rover (Auto related) is in reality filmed in a Holywood studio.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:30 AM, jeff_a said:

I went in 1960 or 1961. Don't remember any of the floats, but my Father introduced me to a man {sitting on a Palomino} named Audie Murphy.

36980eb563acc0c315d04f61d90e2eef.jpg

I'm sorry to distract from the good story about this years Rose Bowl Parade. Neat  to see the two Pierce-Arrows! I saw a photo somewhere of the 1st voiturette(car) in the parade, taken about 1901. Probably a Winton or Locomobile.

The picture is actually of Mr. Murphy IN the Rose Bowl Parade....which I saw with my Dad in 1959, 1960, or 1961. We went to the assembly area before dawn, where everybody queued up to get their place in line in the parade. I don't know how my Father spotted him. To me, it was just some guy on a horse, not going anywhere...but my Dad served in the Italian Campaign in World War II(as Audie Murphy did), followed by a year or two in German Occupation Forces in Bavaria, not to mention reading Stars & Stripes and newspapers...and he recognized him somehow. Then my Dad held me up really high and said: "I want you to remember this man's name.", and I shook hands with the man on horseback. 

Of course, it was years before I figured out who Audie Murphy was, but I remembered my Dad's request about the man's name. I was 6 or 7 back then.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

My post about Audie Murphy was not to put anyone down but was just meant to inform younger members about who he was and why we older guys knew of him. Our parents fought in that war. Every week there were movies with guys like John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart all the super stars of the day about the war. So we were familiar with battles both across Europe and the pacific. We know the name of the pilots that dropped the bombs on Hiroshima was Paul Tibbets and his plane the Enola Gay was named after his mother and the bomb was called little boy. The pilot for the second bomb on Nagasaki was Charles Sweeney (no relation) and his plane was Bockscar named for the usual pilot of the plane and the bomb was called Fat man. It was history, it was taught in every school and you had to take a history class or two in high school. When they dropped that requirement you all missed out on what the meaning of being a citizen of the United States meant. It’s a shame. Now because of computers, social media people don’t read the books we read for classes and pleasure. 
I’ll get off the soap box sorry for the rant. It’s just history is important so we don’t repeat it like Korea, viet nam, and the gulf wars and Afghanistan the way we have. Maybe the younger generation will be smarter somehow. 
dave s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wow, guess we hijacked this thread a bit but it is interesting.  I have always wondered about how the flowers are put on the cars.  What protection do they give to the paint?  I have seen cars I know, black ones and always wondered if they get scratched in the process.  I think about these things! :)

Now as to Audie Murphy, I must be older than I thought as I have seen two movies at least with him in it.  I THINK I recall he was not that tall, had a unique voice and was very likeable.  A true American hero and it is sad that he slowly along with his fellow solders are not known to current generations.  My opinion is that they were indeed from the Greatest Generation.

• Like 3

Sorry for the hijack. 
As a kid we use to watch the Rose parade every year. We always looked for the cowboys like Gene Autry riding Champion, Roy & Dale Rodgers on Trigger & Buttercup with the dog Bullit riding in Pat Butrims keep Nellybell and a bunch of others. The floats, bands and horses made up the majority of the parade. Not as many commercial plugs or singing acts but a lot of fun to watch. It’s amazing the number of flowers used on the floats and the volunteer hours given to put it on. May even rival Hersey in volunteer hours right Steve? 
dave s 

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Wow, guess we hijacked this thread a bit but it is interesting.  I have always wondered about how the flowers are put on the cars.  What protection do they give to the paint?  I have seen cars I know, black ones and always wondered if they get scratched in the process.  I think about these things! :)

Now as to Audie Murphy, I must be older than I thought as I have seen two movies at least with him in it.  I THINK I recall he was not that tall, had a unique voice and was very likeable.  A true American hero and it is sad that he slowly along with his fellow solders are not known to current generations.  My opinion is that they were the indeed from the Greatest Generation.

The movie was 'To Hell and Back'    John

Lived in So Cal for 55 years.

I've been to the Rose Parade once.

It was a nice thing to see but the crowds, the cold and lack of facilities made me want to never do it again.

These days, I have a standing invite to stay at a friend's house who lives right on the parade route but I have not taken them up on it.