Which one is the classic car in this picture?

avgwarhawk

"Trick Question?"  "Classic" by definition or "personal point of view"?  LOTS to choose from that in picture, which was obviously taken in about 1965.  The Studebaker 4drs, the Yellow Jeep, the Corvair Coupe, the seemingly iconic '57 Chevys, the Volvo, or the blue GMC pickup truck.  Heck, in that picture, anything that does not have full wheel covers might fit the bill.

NTX5467

Considering the date this photo was taken....what car would be 20 years old and considered a classic.  To me, many gravitate to the cars of the 50s as the classics.  At the time the picture was taken was the car behind the 57 Chevy called a classic? Did the 57 Chevy owner say hey look at that classic as he parked next to the much older car?  When did all of this classic car terminology originate? 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

The CCCA is considered the "experts" on the topic of "Classics", but that is not much different than us as "experts" regarding Buicks.  The members of that club have a vested interest in excluding others from their vision and I suspect it is for self preservation.  But that does not change the perspective that just about every car in that photo is as elusive today as the Big C listed vehicles.  To me, the vehicle's age and reduced availability make sufficient qualifications to call them classics, no matter how unpopular that position may be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

The CCCA is considered the "experts" on the topic of "Classics", but that is not much different than us as "experts" regarding Buicks.  The members of that club have a vested interest in excluding others from their vision and I suspect it is for self preservation.  But that does not change the perspective that just about every car in that photo is as elusive today as the Big C listed vehicles.  To me, the vehicle's age and reduced availability make sufficient qualifications to call them classics, no matter how unpopular that position may be. 

Hahahahahah.  A 57 Chevy is as elusive as a v12 packard? Or v16 Cadillac or Duesenberg?   I think not.   They are repopping 57 Chevy bodies.  

All those cars are production cars made in massive quantities. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Hahahahahah.  A 57 Chevy is as elusive as a v12 packard? Or v16 Cadillac or Duesenberg?   I think not.   They are repopping 57 Chevy bodies.  

All those cars are production cars made in massive quantities. 

I guess it is a matter of taste. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The subject of the "Classic" word always starts a battle.    It should not.     For me it is simply a language thing.  For decades "Classic" to me was a certain bucket of cars made between 1925 and 1948.

A knowledgeable car guy comes in many forms.   I know guys that can barely buy lunch that are brilliant, and I know wealthy guys that can barely put gas in their million dollar car.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing what the word means in the context of the old car hobby, but once you know you should try to use it correctly.

• Like 3

I believe that’s why the CCCA pushed “Full Classic” as a preferred definition.

I, too, am always amazed that a simple word gets people’s blood boiling.

You can say a 57 Chevy is a classic, or has classic styling, but it’s not a Full Classic.

As far as a “vested interest in excluding others”, wouldn’t that apply to any single marque or specific time period automobile club?  Is saying the the HCCA is for pre-16 cars mean and nasty, or simply the guideline under which the club was formed?  I don’t bring my Pierce to a Corvette meet, and Corvettes don’t show up at a Pierce meet.

• Like 2

The post has taken a direction I was not anticipating. The question I was asking would the owners of the newer 57 Chevy, Corvair and other car  say the older running board car in the middle of the picture is a classic, jalopy or say nothing at all? Was this something people thought about at the time period this photo was taken?  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I guess it is a matter of taste. 

Yep. Taste as in " expensive and exclusive", me thinks.

I think I understood the question.  The only one I see that is old enough to fit the description at the time the picture was taken is the 30s something sitting beside the '57 Chevy.  Unless I am missing something.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Yep. Taste as in " expensive and exclusive", me thinks.

I think I understood the question.  The only one I see that is old enough to fit the description at the time the picture was taken is the 30s something sitting beside the '57 Chevy.  Unless I am missing something.

Ben

Nope you understood my question.  Every era had their "classics".  I think a classic is a personal like/era.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

And hard to find and buy today.  

You can buy all of these cars today routinely in car auctions and on line.  

you can call them classics all you want but to suggest that they are as elusive (difficult to find, catch, or achieve) as the big pre war full classics is not correct. 

Being crazy for older cars at the time (circa 1964) if my mom and dad were walking thru that parking lot with me I would have taken off after the 1930s 2door sedan. They would have yelled at me to stay away from that "old pile of junk". Their car at the time was a new 1964 Olds 98 4dr hardtop. They just never had my appreciation for older cars....

• Haha 1

I try to buy cars that feature some of the qualities set as a requirement. I just disregard the limitation of the years.

I find their qualifications to be excellent guidelines. Even the Mexican built Chevy Avalanche I bought last Spring managed a couple of them.

Another Ed got the Buick Model 90's squeezed in there most recently.

The Classic Car Club of America defines a Full Classic as a “Fine” or “Distinctive” automobile. American or foreign built, produced only between 1915 and 1948. Many factors come into play but, generally, a Classic was a high-priced, top end vehicle when new and was built in limited quantities. No "Mass produced" assembly line vehicles are considered Classics.  Other factors, including higher engine displacement, custom bespoke coachwork and luxury accessories. Mechanical developments such as power brakes, power clutch, and “one-shot” or automatic lubrication systems, help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic.

11 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

The members of that club have a vested interest in excluding others from their vision and I suspect it is for self preservation. 

If you don't exclude how can you be exclusive?

2 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

You can buy all of these cars today routinely in car auctions and on line.  

you can call them classics all you want but to suggest that they are as elusive (difficult to find, catch, or achieve) as the big pre war full classics is not correct. 

You are correct in that. 

After thinking about this for a while I am of the opinion that the CCCA is free to describe the vehicles they want in their club,  but that should not mean that theirs is the exclusive definition of the term "Classic".  

I misunderstood Chris' intent with the original question.  I looked at the question as being relevant to today, not back when the picture was taken. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When that picture was taken, I would term ALL of the vehicles in it as "used cars of the time", as many might have back then.  Even "a piece of junk", back then, was a "used vehicle".  Additionally, if that mix of vehicles is typical of that localized region/section of town, there would probably be NO "defined-Classic/defined-classic" vehicles hidden in garages, with or without air in the tires, at that time.

Certainly, the CCCA has the right and priviledge of defining which vehicles they desire under their tent to their heart's desire.  But who might give them the right/priviledge to determine what is "Classic/classic" in nature . . . at any point in time?  Well, of course, THEY did!  

In any event, the term "Classic/classic" can be a moveable target.  That target did NOT end in 1948, but moves forward with each model year and generation of enthusiast.  There MIGHT be some general agreement, though, that certain vehicles (at the time of production) are "Classic/classic", without regard to how many or few were produced.  Whether the bodies might have been built on a factory production line or in a European coach builder's shop.

In one respect, we might use the term "Classic/classic" to simply mean "Special in somebody's mind" and let it go at that.  More ambiguous than "definite" in nature.  "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder", as they say.  Agreement or not is not an issue, but there can be some general agreements, by observation.

Which can lead to TWO other terms . . . "Iconic Classic" and "EV Classic".  But that's for another discussion!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

The post has taken a direction I was not anticipating. 

The average age of any given group is directly proportional to the ease of which passion is aroused on any given topic, and the number of days a discussion endures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

When that picture was taken, I would term ALL of the vehicles in it as "used cars of the time", as many might have back then.  Even "a piece of junk", back then, was a "used vehicle".  Additionally, if that mix of vehicles is typical of that localized region/section of town, there would probably be NO "defined-Classic/defined-classic" vehicles hidden in garages, with or without air in the tires, at that time.

In one respect, we might use the term "Classic/classic" to simply mean "Special in somebody's mind" and let it go at that.  More ambiguous than "definite" in nature.  "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder", as they say.  Agreement or not is not an issue, but there can be some general agreements, by observation.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I suspect you are on the money.  At the time of the taking of the photo the  older 30s vehicle was seen as just an old car, junker, jalopy or used vehicle.  The notion of historic or classic was not terms used.  

20 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

After thinking about this for a while I am of the opinion that the CCCA is free to describe the vehicles they want in their club,  but that should not mean that theirs is the exclusive definition of the term "Classic".  

That's the shortest and most on-point reply on this never ending subject IMO.  

Is the cat fighting any different than way back in the earliest days of Hershey when a few of the brass guys were so irate when Model A's were "allowed" to be at the premier "antique" car show?  The very few who really pushed that hate and angrily stomped their feet, were people that had some sort of subconscious inferiority complex and "demanded" that the rest of the world know that they are more important than the "unwashed".

I've read about the CCCA verbally viscous infighting which almost hints that some members have the elitist mindset when any additional vehicle gets "allowed" into "their" club.  The members who pushed for new classifications were said to be ones who felt that the club was too inclusive and stagnant, and therefor causing the club to be losing status, members, or relevancy in the real world.

After being in the old car hobby since the 60s, one tiny moment changed my life in a big way:  My son and I were being given a tour of a huge private collection by a 69 year old self made "wealthy" guy who had just gotten back from his "Doctors demanded Florida vacation" to get him away his multiple businesses and resulting stresses on his rapidly failing heart.   The tour was going very good, descriptive on each one...but then he just froze,.... staring into space for an uncomfortable bit.... then he blurted out:  "you know?, I made a lot of money in my life.."  then a pause followed by: "and I thought I needed all this". 

Enjoy your life on "your" terms, not others?

• Thanks 4

On 11/13/2021 at 7:07 AM, alsancle said:

The subject of the "Classic" word always starts a battle.    It should not.     For me it is simply a language thing.  For decades "Classic" to me was a certain bucket of cars made between 1925 and 1948.

A knowledgeable car guy comes in many forms.   I know guys that can barely buy lunch that are brilliant, and I know wealthy guys that can barely put gas in their million dollar car.

There is nothing wrong with not knowing what the word means in the context of the old car hobby, but once you know you should try to use it correctly.

And there in lays the problem, there is a definite group of car people today that want to tear down the norms and establishments in the hobby.  You can kay out stone void facts and they will disagree with you to the point of becoming unhinged.  You want real excitement tell someone that posts they have Buick Sedanette that they actually have a Buick Sedanet and they go into ape mode, and that’s even with posting Buick literature and brochures with the spelling in black and white.  I’m old school, the CCCA has been around 70 years and we have been using that terminology for that nanyang years 

We tend to respect other clubs/groups/orientations related to vehicles, as a normal course of action.  But that does not mean we have to always go along with the ideas/orientations/judgments of said groups.  Although some might agree or disagree with what they might do or how they might do it, there can be some general agreements, but that is variable.  Personally, I'm glad they have reached a point in their lives where they can debate issues long enough that they might need to reach for their oil pressure additives.  If they might have reached that point where they might end up "above the cloudline", I'm glad for them.  But, to me, that does not give them any more "sway" over the hobby and how we might enjoy it.  FWIW

In the coming months, be sure you have enough "wiping towels" and waxes to keep YOUR vehicles looking their best for Spring debuts.  Maintaining their classic looks in the process.

Enjoy!

NTX5467  

On 11/13/2021 at 4:46 AM, trimacar said:

Is saying the the HCCA is for pre-16 cars mean and nasty, or simply the guideline under which the club was formed?

It is more than a guideline.  The HCCA accepts members with 1916-1942 cars, but refuses to list their cars in the HCCA online directory.  They have the data and still accept those dues paying members, but they filter them out of their directory.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)