The "Victoria Coupe" body style of 1914-1930

alsancle

Cadillac called theirs a Town Coupe. Pierce Arrow called it a Club Brougham. Interestingly, the Pierce body style was the second most popular of all body styles produced. There are 49 1932 series 54 Pierce Arrow Club Brougham’s known to exist. That a higher survival rate than the sedans by two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 8:27 PM, 95Cardinal said:

the Cadillac Victoria coupe had a parcel compartment taking up most of the space behind the driver's seat,

My 1925 Pierce 80 coupe (photos later) had such a compartment.  The literature called it a parcel compartment; I called it a Prohibition compartment....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

My 1925 Pierce 80 coupe (photos later) had such a compartment.  The literature called it a parcel compartment; I called it a Prohibition compartment....

Here's the gallery of photos for this car, which I sold in early 2016.  The new owner passed away within two years and left it to the Pierce-Arrow Museum at Gilmore.

I hated to sell this car which we called "Percy Pierce" and my lady friend still hasn't forgiven me, but the sale was necessary to acquire my 1918 Pierce 48-B-5 touring that I had been chasing since 1998.  The Museum brought the car to the 2019 PAS Annual Meet at Angola, Indiana, and we were allowed to drive it during the three days of touring.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

Some people and even some advertising in the era called it a "hat box". Some people consider that the distinctive difference between a "Victoria" coupe, and an "opera" coupe. The notion being that the "opera" coupe needed a place for the special hat to be worn into the opera to be carried in the car. Personally, I think it is merely a matter of semantics. Just a linguistic anomaly. Advertisers call features and models all sorts of different things for all sorts of silly reasons (usually with a twist to make you want to buy it?). Colloquialisms have same things called many different words for many other reasons.

Frankly, I always thought calling it a "hat box" was silly. Most hats that needed a place to be carried in the car wouldn't even begin to fit in those compartments!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

I called it a Prohibition compartment....

And speaking of Prohibition, in his single days my father used to buy bootleg liquor from Trader Vic Bergeron of later restaurant fame.  Trader Vic had an early tiki-style restaurant, then called Hinky Dink's, at 62nd and San Pablo in Oakland, CA and sold his bootleg (which financed his expansion into the tiki-style Trader Vic's) from a 2-pump gas station across the street.  My father was then a scoutmaster and once was stopped by a cop for overloading his Model A Ford coupe (with overload rear spring) for too many kids in the rumble seat obscuring the two cases of booze--which the cop didn't find.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hey there "G"! I sure love that car you had. Far and away one of my all time favorite Pierce Arrow cars (in spite of the series 80 standing!).And definitely one of my all-time favorite "0pera/Victoria" coupes!

Great story about your father by the way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VICTORIA - a close coupled two door sedan or an enlarged coupe with a rear seat also known as an OPERA COUPE. Also a four door open car with folding top over the rear seat only. Known in France as a COUPE MILORD.

This is the definition from Coachbuilt.com Glossary of Coach building terms 

• Like 1

Pierce built an eight cylinder Victoria in 1930.  I think it’s a rather nice looking design, but buyers evidently didn’t agree, as it was only produced for one model year.  Mine was the ninth to the last model B produced in 1930, with a body number 200, so that’s probably as many as they built.  Can’t figure out why the style didn’t catch on.

IMG_0253.png

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Tom Barrett said:

Pierce built an eight cylinder Victoria in 1930.  I think it’s a rather nice looking design, but buyers evidently didn’t agree, as it was only produced for one model year.  Mine was the ninth to the last model B produced in 1930, with a body number 200, so that’s probably as many as they built.  Can’t figure out why the style didn’t catch on.

IMG_0253.png

Fantastic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom Barrett said:

IMG_0253.png

"Can’t figure out why the style didn’t catch on?"

I'll submit this thesis: Although the overall close-coupled proportions with the integrated trunk are more aesthetically appealing, the issue was the relative widths of the door and quarter panel.  The current front door width and relative depth of ingress to the rear seating would be discouraging to all but the very agile.   One could draw door cutlines around the long quarter window and panel to create a close-coupled 3-box sport sedan.  

Contrast the proportions here to the successor style Club Brougham with its wide doors and truncated quarter sections.   Not only is the style more visually pleasing, but also access to the rear seat also promises to be much easier.

One other aspect of the 1930 Victoria is the rising roofline from the windshield which appears to crest over the long quarter window.  This appears on many 1920's era cars. helpful for generous headroom but not so much for aesthetic appeal.

'33 Pierce-Arrow 836 club brougham.jpg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Tom Barrett said:

IMG_0253.png

I agree with 58L-Y58 in part. In that time period, Pierce had their two door Club Sedan that would have been in direct competition to the Victoria coupe. They also had their Club Berline which was a slightly upmarket four door variant. I think both were better looking than the Victoria - but that is just my taste. I briefly had a 1930 Club Berline that I Ioved. It always bothered me, however, that I thought the Packard club sedan of the same period was better looking. What the heck, I would love to have any one of them today! All photos from the internet.

1929 Pierce Club Sedan.png

1930 Pierce LandaunSedan.png

1930 Packard Eight.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, pughs said:

Yes, I bought it in 2014.

Yep I was waiting for you to post this.  In my top 2 or 3 "misses list"!  Ray and I discissed a couple of times and I still wish I moved on it.  On the road now?

On 1/1/2024 at 6:24 PM, Grimy said:

And speaking of Prohibition, in his single days my father used to buy bootleg liquor from Trader Vic Bergeron of later restaurant fame.  Trader Vic had an early tiki-style restaurant, then called Hinky Dink's, at 62nd and San Pablo in Oakland, CA and sold his bootleg (which financed his expansion into the tiki-style Trader Vic's) from a 2-pump gas station across the street.  My father was then a scoutmaster and once was stopped by a cop for overloading his Model A Ford coupe (with overload rear spring) for too many kids in the rumble seat obscuring the two cases of booze--which the cop didn't find.

Great story! Interesting to know that was going on in the neighborhood long ago. I was in that neighborhood for many decades on business and can report that, while it's far from the worst part of town, the availability of illicit substances (and services) has been pretty continuous! 

• Like 1

I think this can be one of the most graceful body configurations, but I also imagine that it is a bit like all two doors and so takes an extra bending step or two on entry and exit. It does put the rear seat forward of the rear axel, and I wonder if that offered a benefit to the ride quality. I know Maurice Olley do a lot of experiments about this in the 20's and 30's. Any thoughts? 

8 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Yep I was waiting for you to post this.  In my top 2 or 3 "misses list"!  Ray and I discissed a couple of times and I still wish I moved on it.  On the road now?

It had a few significant problems and I had to do quite a lot of work to sort things out but it now runs well and is driven regularly.

• Like 1

Cole had several variations of this body style throughout the company’s time running. However my favorite are probably the 1920-1922 Cole Victoria coupe although they referred to it as a sport coupe. I’ll post more photos of some of them from the actual time they were made as my dad has access to most of the Cole family photos/archives. I love coupes some of my favorites! IMG_8129.png.5e95f3f1ca4d222b9b0e55ccbdca39db.pngIMG_8130.jpeg.d57148ee4c446f803699d0248399049e.jpeg
I believe only one 1920 Cole coupe survives today.

Edited by Cole motor car lover (see edit history)
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, pughs said:

It had a few significant problems and I had to do quite a lot of work to sort things out but it now runs well and is driven regularly.

I think I told you this, it came to Ray as a non runner out of an estate in NH or VT.  One day he flipped the dist 180 degrees and vroom.. Needed exhaust work if I remember right and probably the ton of sorting a car that hasn't been used would need.  Real clean interior.  Plain but elegant features.  Suits the body style well.  Glad to hear you are using it.

I was the high bidder on a 1922 Cole coupe about 20 years ago on eBay. The woman selling it said the auction price wasn't high enough and refused to honor the sale. Since I was in California and the car was in North Carolina I just let it go without putting up a fight. The next year I had a few days to kill before going to Hershey and noticed that the car was still for sale. I drove there to see it was was glad that I didn't get it. It looked good from about 50 feet (not so much at 20 feet). The body had a lot of wood replaced poorly and the mechanical stuff was mostly out of the car stored in a nearby shed. The metal parts were very rusty.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pughs said:

I was the high bidder on a 1922 Cole coupe about 20 years ago on eBay. The woman selling it said the auction price wasn't high enough and refused to honor the sale. Since I was in California and the car was in North Carolina I just let it go without putting up a fight. The next year I had a few days to kill before going to Hershey and noticed that the car was still for sale. I drove there to see it was was glad that I didn't get it. It looked good from about 50 feet (not so much at 20 feet). The body had a lot of wood replaced poorly and the mechanical stuff was mostly out of the car stored in a nearby shed. The metal parts were very rusty.

Hmmmm very interesting I don’t believe my dad and I are aware of that car we run the registry and have 80 known cars I believe now. I’ll double check but that’s interesting thank you for informing me of that. My car is a 23 Cole coupe but it’s a completely different body style than the one discussed in this topic so I did not post it. 

The thing that I find neat about the Victoria Coupe body style is that most 2 and 4 door sedans were boxy at the time. With the Victoria style, a closed car started getting a lot more racy looking. Ever since the minivan and sport utility vehicle came into vogue the design trend has went back to the boxy style for those type of vehicles. Circle of life I guess... 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

The thing that I find neat about the Victoria Coupe body style is that most 2 and 4 door sedans were boxy at the time. With the Victoria style, a closed car started getting a lot more racy looking. Ever since the minivan and sport utility vehicle came into vogue the design trend has went back to the boxy style for those type of vehicles. Circle of life I guess... 

good to see you giving the minivan it’s due.....fabulous platform that it is.  For the naïve or inexperienced, mine is always available for test drives. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Bloom said:

good to see you giving the minivan it’s due.....fabulous platform that it is.  For the naïve or inexperienced, mine is always available for test drives. 

I mocked them till I was issued one as a company car.  Very handy.  I prefer my truck but have to say if you need to haul samples and spend a lot of time on the road they ain't bad!! 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:07 AM, alsancle said:

If ever a car needed the correct size tires it is this one.

Hi, AJ!  Are the tires too big?  Too small?  Or, should they just be black walls?  Thanks!  Greg

Not mine but here is a 1931 V12 Cadillac 5 passenger coup for sale on BAT. Could use a freshen up including a new interior. The front original seat will be a challenge to find but I do have the patterns for the tilt handwear. 

1932 Cadillac 370-B V-12 Five-Passenger Town Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - ending January 23 (Lot #134,235) | Bring a Trailer

On 1/19/2024 at 3:54 PM, Joe in Canada said:

Not mine but here is a 1931 V12 Cadillac 5 passenger coup for sale on BAT. Could use a freshen up including a new interior. The front original seat will be a challenge to find but I do have the patterns for the tilt handwear. 

1932 Cadillac 370-B V-12 Five-Passenger Town Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - ending January 23 (Lot #134,235) | Bring a Trailer

It was a no sale at 30,000. My biggest fear seeing the under carriage it has never had a full restoration unless done many decades ago that the wood needs replacing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 12:44 PM, Cole motor car lover said:

Cole had several variations of this body style throughout the company’s time running. However my favorite are probably the 1920-1922 Cole Victoria coupe although they referred to it as a sport coupe. I’ll post more photos of some of them from the actual time they were made as my dad has access to most of the Cole family photos/archives. I love coupes some of my favorites! IMG_8129.png.5e95f3f1ca4d222b9b0e55ccbdca39db.pngIMG_8130.jpeg.d57148ee4c446f803699d0248399049e.jpeg
I believe only one 1920 Cole coupe survives today.

The one a few posts down here?:  

Craig