Any one out there?

Barney Eaton

Drove my 90 convertible at the Woodward Dream Cruise on Thursday night and a few hours Saturday morning. LOTS of cars, trucks, rods, you name it. Was high 80’s and  slow going, and, did I say hot!  Running production thermostat and fans, never got either fan on hi, worst gage reading was one bar past straight up. Was very happy with that. Didn’t see another Reatta, but got lots of thumbs up and many questions about my car. 

2 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i ordered a trunk gasket from gm parts direct.hope it fits.

It should be fine; everything I've ever bought from GM Parts Direct has been problem-free.

And I've bought parts for a variety of vehicles.

• Like 1

The 2 FB groups are very active particularly the larger one, also, we send a lot of people to Ronnies site for the "how to repair" section so they may be looking there and then landing in that forum.  We do mention the wealth of knowledge here as well so it should have brought some new traffic but obviously not 

On 8/22/2021 at 8:25 PM, 95Cardinal said:

It should be fine; everything I've ever bought from GM Parts Direct has been problem-free.

And I've bought parts for a variety of vehicles.

BTW, I have seen your Caballero and it is beyond outstanding 

• Thanks 1

I also haven't been reading the posts too much lately but with our summer being so nice I have just been enjoying the old cars and the summer, rather than Reatta parts.

I spend as little time as possible on facebook, actually none, except but do get "notifications" and look at the maybe twice a day if there is any new postings in my "groups". All are car groups except one local neighborhood group.

I do see activity on Marck facebook site but it seems it is the same couple of posters all the time.

I check here daily but have little to report.  I also check in at Ronnie's Reatta Owners Journal.  I don't have a facebook account (don't really ever plan to), so I have my partner Diane check in at Marck's site for me every once and awhile.

• Like 1

I don't think the Reatta forum should be merged..... with what?   The post war Buick forum probably doesn't want "modern" cars there.   The Riviera would make more sense but again most of the Riviera discussion is on the earlier cars.    Unless the forum moderator feels there is a reason, lets keep it because there is lots of good info there'

What we might want to add would be a forum on Front wheel drive cars.   That would start around '84 and cover everything later.

There is so much info out there showing how to fix generic and specific issues with newer cars,  the Front wheel drive forum could have links to good "how-to" videos.    

• Like 1

I agree with Barney, No need to merge of change the Reatta Forums. Yes activity is down, but I will assume everyone is out enjoying their Reatta.  But when we need help or need information just post the question and it will be answered in a timely fashion.  I know I have been driving mine a bunch. Had issue the other day, 1st issue in almost 3 years hence the Question about Serpentine Belt.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Moderators already merged Buy Sell and now there is virtually no Buy Sell activity.

Actually Forum Moderators don't make decisions on creating new forums or merging forums. Those decisions are made by the Forum Administrator. The specific merge you are referring to was made without the input of forum moderators as far as I know. Moderators have very little input on any changes made to the forums.

I don't log in here as often as I used to, I must confess, though I still have my Reatta and have no plans to sell it.

It is a great car to drive, it's comfortable, gets good mileage, and has the creature comforts. Sure the Electra rides better and is more impressive looking, but it has serious thirst for high test, which currently is around $1.50 and more per litre, which is close to one US quart!

Keith

Maybe change to a FWD era. As suggested by Barney.  I have been active here since 2005 or so.  From 2007 to 2019, with the 2 Reatta forums, you could see 20 new posts a day and 100-200 responses.  

It was fun to be part of. I have been on “old car” forums since I went to trade school in 1997.  Back then everything was retrieved through Yahoo search engine searches.   

Used to go to 442.com and “Classical Pontiac” and a couple of other sites, now they are gone or shells of what they were.  

This is summer, people are never as active in the summer.  Only one of the FB groups is really active, I don’t believe the admin and moderator of “The Buick Reatta” page are even on it anymore.  Marck has managed to brainwash everyone on his  page into thinking he is the only fish in the sea as far as Reatta knowledge and parts.  Tons of newbies join their and buy it hook, line and sinker. An active FB group that doesn’t have a commercial interest in it would be nice.  We mention this page often but those posts tend to disappear as well as when you mention other vendors.  while the Reatta is FWD there are so many things that make it a totally different animal.  I think if a Reatta owner had to come in and and hear the BS wind from the average Century guy pretending he has a clue about a Reatta that it would turn them away faster than anything.  Reatta issues are Reatta & Riviera issues and have nothing to do with the run of the mill front drive Buick’s except the very basics of the 3800 equipped cars.  i know i would be less likely to check in on the forum if it was combined to a FWD one, of course not everyone would think that was a bad thing 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, dship said:

Don't see any reason to be bashing Marck...just sayin

Not bashing just stating the facts of how the site operates. The Page in no way embraces the Reatta community as a whole, it’s all geared toward getting him business and shutting down all the other venues and vendors. 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Not bashing just stating the facts of how the site operates. The Page in no way embraces the Reatta community as a whole, it’s all geared toward getting him business and shutting down all the other venues and vendors. 

You would have to give examples of him basically using that site as a promotional for him and a non promotional of Jim or others.  I used to be admitted to that site but that was with an old phone number.    I’m a recent Facebook user. But it does not like when you change phone numbers, which I do due to business.  Then you start all over with Facebook unless you remember passwords very well.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

As I said, often posts listing other vendors are deleted.  Constant advertisements for East Coast Reatta Parts are found on the page, anytime anyone is looking for parts he only lists ECRP's.  I have never seen him suggest Ronnies site for the fantastic how to section instead suggesting him doing repairs on one of his cross country loop trips.  I can't blame him for using the site as a promotion for his business but the name is misleading as it is not apparent that it is a business owned and operated page but sounds more like a regular FB page.  "Buick Reatta Owners and Enthusiasts"  The total lack of any mention of other Reatta groups, vendors, forums and pages is not helping or supporting the community as a whole.  It takes very little time in the group to see it's very apparent.  My Dad, myself and a couple friends are all on the site and we have had this discussion several times 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still check in from time to time.  My Reatta gets little to no use and I seem to spend more time keeping it up the best I can with my limited budget than I do actually driving it.  I have put maybe 20k on the clock since buying it maybe 13 years ago or so.  I don’t mind the expense because I derive a lot of pride from it when I do actually drive it.  I call it the “Six Million Dollar car” for obvious reasons.

This forum is always the first site to pop up when using Google if I am researching an issue or a Reatta related problem so there’s that.

Edited by doity (see edit history)

On 9/21/2021 at 6:07 PM, B Jake Moran said:

Marck is pretty much done checking in here. I did go to 1 of the 2 Facebook Reatta sites and posted and looked.  It’s not the one he manages but he was still mentioned.  Like the 3 Reattas including a 1991 coupe that the owner could not give away.  

Give it a rest B Jake, it gets old.

• Like 1