A first Car...

Leland Davis

First car I bought and drove on the road.  Bought it when I was 16. Drove it to High school my senior year on a few nice days. (1993)  Still have it,  though have come close to selling it a couple of times to climb the automotive ladder. 

This photo is from my Highschool yearbook.

IMG_2509.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 7

My first car 1968 Porsche 912 paid $500 bucks needed a clutch All my friend’s in high school used to bust my chops about driving a non American car they had GTO chevelle novas while they were jumping on the brakes and down shifting into a turn and me wizzing around them in my little Porsche they finally got it 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 3:54 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

1952 Renault 4CV, custom body by my brother & me.   Put a Renault Dauphine engine in to double the HP.

4 cylinder water cooled rear engined homemede sports car by two kids, ages 14 & 17. (1960-1963)

Moonmachineprimer.jpg

Moonmachinered.jpgIt's a car that has its own charm. I would like to know if it is still alive and running. It would be great to get in touch with its creator.

My first car was a 1984 Nissan 2WD extended cab pickup with a straight 6 and a 5 speed. Bashed in bed where my little sister kicked it out of gear on top of a long hill. Bought it from my dad at 15 a few months after that incident. 3rd car was a 1989 Buick Regal with the hot all aluminum 3.6L V6, 2 doors - kind of wish I still had it!

Funny part with my 56 Olds is I bought it for $2500 and an army trunk half full of 80's GI Joe figures the guy was going to give his grandson.(he collected war memorabilia and wanted the trunk and figured the action figures and stuff were just a little plus)

After getting it home we tinkered on it and I really wanted a set of white walls so my Dad said if I sold the Porsche 914 he just bought to flip he would buy me 4 new WWW's.  I went up and tinkered on the Porsche cleaning it up and fixing a few cobbs so it looked better.  A guy stopped and bought it.  Literally hours after I made the deal with my Dad.  Boy was that pure luck. 

The new owner was local and almost immediately someone stole the Porsche from him and his insurance company paid him 3 times what he paid for it.  I think he eventually ended up with it back as well.   Everyone won out of that deal.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1976 Datsun pickup, it was a long bed and orange in color. One of the old service vehicles from my dad’s electrical contracting business. Had about a million miles on it, still ran, used a little oil with every tank of gas. No pictures to show, was not worth wasting film on.

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)

47 ford PU that I updated with  a 50 Merc engine with Offy intake and dual carbs.  Drove it through high school until my senior year when I purchased a 53 Olds 98 Holiday.  I soon updated the Olds with a 57 J-2 and a 37 LaSalle standard transmission.  I wasn't smart enough to change the rear end ratio so I was a little slow off the line but you didn't have to shift to high until 90.  Sure wish I had that one back.

• Like 2

My first was a '53 Studebaker.  Had to replace entire brake system (shoes, drums, cylinders, and even steel lines).  Did all the work myself at 16.  Had a bent frame from an accident so I used $12 recaps on the front.  Wish I had it today.                John

Edited by 41 Su8
spelling (see edit history)

As I do not have any of the pic's of my 1957 Meteor Rideau 500 2 door imitation hardtop due to my ex throwing all my stuff out many years ago I'll show whats available thru google images. Mine was 3 tone red, white and black with a blue interior. Yes it was the original Oakville Ontario Ford plant paint scheme.

57meteorvancouver.jpg

• Like 3

First car was a 1959 Healey 100-6 2 seater. Purchased for $2500 in 1974. Great old car except for the rusted frame rails on the front end. Engine and transmission were strong. Didn’t bother me about the dodgey suspension (roll bar was pretty much lacking support from the frame rails). Drove the car from Southern Indiana to North Florida and back on vacation. Electronic overdrive worked great. Then drove from Southern to Northern Indiana in mid-winter for job relocation. It was always a reliable runner when the Company car (Mercury Monarch ) would not start. Last big trip was relocation to New Orleans.  Sold the AH in 1978 to pay for grad school. Miss it still but would cost another mortgage to restore.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 31nash880 said:

I guess I wasn't a cool kid but I was driving.

First car 1971 Opal Kaddet. 1100 cc top speed 83 down hill.

Went from that to 1973 pontiac formula 400. Then found out what tires cost.

I used to own 82 Kadett, pretty good gar. And then North American option of it - 86 Pontiac LeMans.

Edited by Skvitt (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 31nash880 said:

I guess I wasn't a cool kid but I was driving.

First car 1971 Opal Kaddet. 1100 cc top speed 83 down hill.

Went from that to 1973 pontiac formula 400. Then found out what tires cost.

First car I drove was also a 1970s era Opel Kadet when I was in HS. Also first car I had an accident in. But I told my parents “it wasn’t my fault!”😀

• Like 1

1959 Hillman convertible. Paid $50. it had been sitting and the brakes were shot. My dad replaced the master cylinder and then the wheel cylinders went. I learned to drive with no brakes! The things you do as a teenager! 

1959 Hillman Minx Convertible | Zephyrhills Fall Autofest 20… | Flickr

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:42 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Ed,

My 57 Ranchero was also built in the Oakville Plant.   Somebody in that plant likeg Stainless trim,

or did all Canadians?

837996116_57Ranchero800pixel.jpg.bf31b40f8d651b6c76e6cfb5a54c85dd.jpg

WOW! Very Very nice! That trim I can't recall ever seeing that.  Fairlane 500 's yes Ranchero's no . The chrome headlight rings are an aftermarket item but I like 'em. Now I want a 1957 Meteor Rideau Ranchero!