A first Car...

Leland Davis

When my Daughter first learned to drive, I chose a 1985 Suzuki Samurai for her. It was an RV tow behind, in great shape. I chose that because it was 4 wheel drive, and she is an avid snowboarder, just perfect for getting to the slopes. When she was 27, she searched for and found another '85 in perfect condition, another RV tow behind, and I drove to LA to tow it back for her. She sent me this picture of herself with the two cars. She is currently the Flight Surgeon for an Apache Helicopter attack group, in Iraq, age 29.

Made me think... What was your first car? Mine was a 1956 Ford that I got for $25, and drove 5 years.

Samurai.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1963 Chevy Nova Wagon.

Paid $300 for it in 1976.

6 cylinder automatic.

Bought it from an 

Old New Age Hippie Lady

Who lived by where I worked.

In Sedona, Arizona at 

Casa De Flores Nursery

For Old Man Biddle

( Jim Biddle )

Jim

1968 Fairlane 500 2 door hardtop. In 1975 $150. Front end damage and 2 dead cylinders from burned exhaust valves. Fixed it up drove it 4 years and sold it. Good car, good times. Learned a lot. Manual drum brakes all around which were weak and coulda been the reason for the crash. Pretty common car in the day, try to find one now.

6 hours ago, keiser31 said:

My first car....1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 two passenger coupe. Still got it....

John Keiser and 1931 DB DH6.jpg

Picture 10616.jpg

Picture 30093.jpg

Keiser31,

Glad to see the bug progress on the 31 Dodge.   It's now on dollies to roll around in the cleaned out garage.

Air in the tires, weather is better an time to get back on the project.   I'm sure the kid in the top picture would

love to drive it in this lifetime.   Good Luck!

• Like 3

My first car was a 1974 Gremlin - with the Denim package. I bought it for 150. Loved that car. Ran it till she fell apart. Wish I still had it.

it got around great with chains in the winter. 
such good memories. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

1940 Chevrolet Special Deluxe four door in 1952.  Paid $250.  Dad cosigned.    About $2540 in today's money.

Ben

Me too Ben. Mine was dark blue and got in 1956 for $100.00. Ran the wheels off of it and top end was about 65 down hill with a tail wind! 😁 That vacuum shift was a real treat too!!!!

‘65 Mercury Comet four door, 200 ci six banger with a C4 trans.  Had been my Grandfather’s car.  Drove it for six years.

1954 Plymouth Savoy four door sedan.  Handed down from my Father not out of niceness but so I could take my Mother to the store and anywhere else in town she wanted to go.  It was junk when I got it(when my Dad gave up on a car it usually was done) and two years later that’s where it ended up.  City auto. Got four dollars for it but had to split it with my friend who towed it out there.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1947 Ford PU at age 14.  In Iowa you could get a special permit to drive to school at 14 if you lived  on a farm.  Of course we all abused it and drove everywhere.  Three years later I dropped a 51 Merc motor in it with dual carbs and home made headers.  Sure wish I would have kept it.

57 Desoto with a small hemi in it. I bought it from Mr Norm’s Grand Spaulding Dodge in 64 fir $200 and they put 4 new tires on it. Worked in a junk yard on Saturday’s for parts and gas I could siphon from cars they brought in. The back seat had a lot of room for fun. One of the rear speakers was missing but that was ok as we could throw the empty beer cans on the rear deck and eventually they would roll around until they fell in the trunk. Only had to empty the trunk once a month as it was so big! 
Yes, I had a lot of fun and craziness in my youth, somehow I survived. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1952 Renault 4CV, custom body by my brother & me.   Put a Renault Dauphine engine in to double the HP.

4 cylinder water cooled rear engined homemede sports car by two kids, ages 14 & 17. (1960-1963)

Moonmachineprimer.jpg

Moonmachinered.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Mine was a 1962 MG Midget...  I installed new rings, etc.  My mother wouldn't let me drive it without a roll bar.  So, a family friend welded two pipe elbows together and bolted the 2 1/2" custom roll bar to the frame to act as the rear top bow.  I drilled inserts in it to receive the original front top bow for the new top purchased from the JC Whitney catalog.  My future brother-in-law painted it for me, and I installed blue indoor/outdoor carpeting. 

This car cornered like it was on rails, but couldn't beat a stock VW off the line.....

MG.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 2

53 Studebaker Champion.

twelve bucks, {two were to transfer the title)

Similar to Pilgrims deal, had to change the plugs often. But had to put oil in it more often.

I used to get my oil at a rerefinery in Tacoma, after a few weeks the guy there quit charging me. My first sponsor I guess.

• Like 1

My first car was a 1965 Ford pickup short bed. Dad bought it used for my older sisters first 'car'. Still had the 6 banger, 3 on the tree but he put a decent paint job and a set of mag wheels. All show and little go. When she moved on to a new Pinto, my older brother got the truck. Repainted it, put in a rebuilt Corvette 350 junkyard engine, 4 speed manual. Thats how I inherited it. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, hook said:

Looks like it delivered mail. My first car was a 1930 Model A Ford, I was 15. What do you want for $25.00, a Rolls?

1 the beginning of my nightmare with cars - Copy.jpg

I tried for years to buy that type of Model A,   Only found them when I didn't have the money.

1947 Chevy 4dr Fleetmaster, passed on to me from grand parents for $50. G-pa didn`t drain the water, froze and busted the block. I put a 283 w/3spd and rear end from a `55 Chevy, i received the car in `64, started driving it in `66, drafted in `67 and had car with me entire time. I drove the car for 11yrs, my younger brother has now owned the car for 45yrs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm 6' 6" and my grandfather bought me a 1957 Rambler Metropolitan when I was 15.  He bought my brother a brand-new Chevy truck with all the whistles and bells.  Yeah, if my grandfather hadn't been such a great guy to hang around with, I could have felt bad.  I learned a lot from working on that car, probably more than my brother did on his truck.

• Like 1

My first car was a 1990 Ford Tempo. It is now in the great junkyard in the sky, though I'm sure pieces of the rusted body are still in the gravel driveway of my parent's old house on Packard Hwy. This was soon replaced by a 1979 Datsun 280ZX that I absolutely loved (but soon outgrew). 

• Like 2

Mine was a 1950 Ford convertible bought for $50 in the spring of 1961 when I was a senior in high school.  Almost every body panel was different color, so it got painted Hunter Green with spray cans.  I got a replacement top from a car in a junkyard, installed it myself.  There was something wrong with the alignment of the transmission and clutch so about every two weeks when I shifted into 2nd gear, the synchronizers went bad and I could choose to leave it in 2nd or shift to 3rd, but it would be locked in that gear afterwards.  I got pretty good at pulling the transmission and rebuilding it.   I think I got $75 for it when I sold it at the end of the summer.

FORD502.JPG.9e7c98b512c5a5438ff420ff3d567125.JPG

1950 Ford.  White walls were actually Port-a-walls.

• Like 2

First car that I purchased myself was a 1975 Camaro with the 350cid / 350 Auto combination.

Purchased for $1200 in 1986. Sold it about a year and a half later to buy the 1964 Malibu SS Convertible that I sold a little over a year ago.

Before that, I was driving my Dad's 1972 Datsun pickup.

I'd love to have both back but if I had to choose only one it would be the Datsun.

First car I bought with my own money was this GTO for 325 dollars.   That was my junior year of HS.   It has been hit in the nose which and had lost all its front sheetmetal.   Then sat outside with the engine exposed for 2 years.    Lots of my dad sticking welding.  I think I spent 200 painting it.  The engine was 600 dollar job but we did it right.   I converted it from an automatic to a four speed just because.

GTO-4.jpg

• Like 4

My first car was a 1949 Ford F-1.   My Mom and Dad moved from Minnesota to Montana in this truck in 1968.  He sold it to a few years later and we re-acquired it in 1987 looking as you see it below. 

This picture appears to have a new radiator.  I was living in the tent at the time while we built the house in the background.  That would have been about 1992.

I still have the truck and Mom and Dad still live in the house.  

6ECA90F9-6D9B-4263-A27E-A2F8EF0320D7.thumb.jpeg.f2f35df36798c98351621d09c9a5f0ed.jpeg

And how it looks today.  I make a point of driving at every month.  This was a homecoming parade in a dusty little cow town.  

81862A5D-FB57-43DB-BF3B-41622C7E6C07.thumb.jpeg.23ad0f00c49b849f2ba9aab769c4a89d.jpeg

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Following several years of nearly constant requests, I received the keys to my Grandmother's 1956 Bel Air Sport Sedan with 265 Power-Pak and Powerglide for my 15th birthday.  It sat unused in their garage for several years prior to that.

image.png.52b30a228a1f241a857f420a4259d592.png

As it was driven by me in high school and college and currently sits patiently in my garage...

image.png.758a9f9f7a5296bdb4c0facbde0b76a9.png

I'm hoping to re-commission it to be driven next year.

• Like 6