Roadside insurance?

Have you a thought on Good Sam or another similar company ‘in case of emergency’?  I know Good Sam is primarily for RV’s.  I just had a need for help recently and wasn’t prepared. My insurer (for years I’ve had Berkley Classics) doesn’t have this feature... maybe it’s time I switch to another carrier for my old p/u.

https://checkout.goodsamroadside.com/ra-auto?selectedProd=1&pkgcode=31NY

I have AAA Gold with the 100 mile towing plan for a just in case moment. I only used it twice in 25 years and both times I was within 5 miles of my home. A friend of mine has a 33 Chevy and called AAA for a rollback recently. He had to wait a few hours and when the truck arrived he said that he did not feel comfortable with such a car and left

I know Hagerty offers towing, and that might be the best option, and after my friends episode I have been thinking about it myself.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the Good Sam as I have a large RV.

I have only had to use it once.

A few years ago when the thing wouldn't start.

The truck shop sent a guy out but he couldn't get it going and wanted it towed the 12 miles to his shop.

A $650 tow.

20160408_122324.jpg

20160408_122414.jpg

20160408_122541.jpg

• Thanks 1

If I'm not mistake, AAA (at least here in California) doesn't require having insurance through them, just annual membership fee for their roadside assistance program,  which includes towing service with extent depending on your membership ($) level.

In my +/- 20 years of (Premier) membership, other than one unlocking service, I've never needed anything for my daily drivers, but have used “free (longer distance) tow” on couple of occasions (50-100 mile tows) with my vintage cars and considering combined out-of-pocket expenses those tows would've had cost, I believe these "free" services from AAA more than covered all my membership fees I've paid over the years.

I believe I also have "free tow services" in my vintage car policies, but never needed/used them, but it’s nice to know they're there, especially when considering that I probably drive mine a lot more than most here, i.e. several thousand miles, including at least one or two 1000+ mile trips annually.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I have a friend with the AAA Gold.   I keep thinking I need the same thing.

Most of my driving is withing 30 miles of my house and I have a local garage with a rollback that will come get me.   That won't work on the weekends and I have a backup company.

I do not have a plan for being 300 miles from home (and not on a tour).

• Thanks 1

We've had AAA Gold+RV for 30+ years.   With 8 cars and a motorhome, it's worth the $129 @ year premium.

Like Jack M and TTR, when you need ir, ITS GREAT!

2016 on the way to the Sentimental Tour in Salisbury NC, we stopped to visit Rick Hendrick's Collection/Museum 

and when we left we barely got past the Lowe's Morto Speedway when the Airstream DP stopped.  It was Sunday 

and the contracted AAA Towing guy was not available.   It took a few hours, but AAA found somebody to come get

us with a 35 ton wrecker.   The driver removed our 12" drive shaft and towed us to our campground in Salisbury.

When I offered him s $100 tip, he declined and said he got $800 from AAA.

A friend came from the campground and pulled our trailerd 34 Ford 30 miles to the campground.   Great friend!

End of story:   I found auto parts store and trucker/mechanic and we replaced all the fuel filters then the

fuel pump and finally the fuel cut off solenoid, at the campground.   Problem solved!  Plus I learned how a diesel

engine shuts off.   Never heard of a fuel cut off solenoid before.

Yes, I do recommend AAA.   

AAARescue.jpg.917c5e99c0fbd3d485977edbac23daeb.jpg

• Thanks 1

I literally just added Emergency Road Service to my policies this week. Both the wife and I have enough arthritis that changing a tire on the road would be a challenge. Neither of us have had a flat for a long time but my daughter has had three in the last two months(nails from a construction site she thinks). So rather than take the chance I decided to spend the money.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

We've had AAA Gold+RV for 30+ years.   With 8 cars and a motorhome, it's worth the $129 @ year premium.

Like Jack M and TTR, when you need ir, ITS GREAT!

2016 on the way to the Sentimental Tour in Salisbury NC, we stopped to visit Rick Hendrick's Collection/Museum 

and when we left we barely got past the Lowe's Morto Speedway when the Airstream DP stopped.  It was Sunday 

and the contracted AAA Towing guy was not available.   It took a few hours, but AAA found somebody to come get

us with a 35 ton wrecker.   The driver removed our 12" drive shaft and towed us to our campground in Salisbury.

When I offered him s $100 tip, he declined and said he got $800 from AAA.

A friend came from the campground and pulled our trailerd 34 Ford 30 miles to the campground.   Great friend!

End of story:   I found auto parts store and trucker/mechanic and we replaced all the fuel filters then the

fuel pump and finally the fuel cut off solenoid, at the campground.   Problem solved!  Plus I learned how a diesel

engine shuts off.   Never heard of a fuel cut off solenoid before.

Yes, I do recommend AAA.   

AAARescue.jpg.917c5e99c0fbd3d485977edbac23daeb.jpg

All my AAA serviced “emergency” tow needs have occurred on holidays, one was late Sunday afternoon about 80+ miles away from home, another during mad mid-day traffic congestion on Dec. 24th in L.A. about 50 miles from home.
Both were handled very professionally and promptly, although former, as I’ve probably recounted somewhere here before, “almost” too promptly, forcing me to gulp down a very nice glass of wine I had hoped to enjoy/savor slowly while waiting for the arrival of the cavalry, which showed up about 1 hour and 50 minutes earlier than estimated 2 hours initially given by AAA representative over the phone. 🙄

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, John348 said:

I know Hagerty offers towing, and that might be the best option, and after my friends episode I have been thinking about it myself.

I used Hagerty for towing recently.  The people in the

office are great--courteous, professional, patient.

However, they use towing companies that contract with

them in some manner.  The towing company they arranged

kept delaying their arrival for hours--thankfully I was

at home and not stuck.  I cancelled that towing company

and used one I knew, and Hagerty reimbursed me.

With AAA, one only has to be a member with that towing

benefit.  One doesn't need to buy insurance from AAA.

There are many AAA-affiliated towing companies here,

and I try to choose one that I like.  I call them directly without

going through the impersonal AAA call center, and confirmed

with an AAA supervisor that I will always do that.

I appreciate good service and am happy to pass on any

good or not-so-good references.

• Thanks 1

Every time I think about discontinuing my AAA Plus (four 100-mile tows per year), Some Damn Thing happens...  On Nov 15 of last year, 40 miles from home, the starter on my 1934 Pierce died while I was making a pit stop.  Vehicle pushing of the Pierce was not an option, nor was manual pushing of 5400 lbs plus me on flat ground.  Under COVID rules, I could not ride in the tow truck, and the AAA operator advised me of that during my call for service.  Fortunately, my lady friend, who couldn't join me at the event, was available to pick me up and arrived the same time as the AAA rollback.

• Thanks 1

AAA Premier + RV + Motorcycle for many years.  Never used them.  

AAA Classic: white card.  5 mile towing.  

AAA Plus: gold card. 100 miles towing.  

AAA Premier: platinum card. 200 miles towing. 

Rates vary based on zip code.

• Thanks 1

We have usually had AAA through most of our 44 years. Used them a few times for the modern cars (our modern cars are usually older and high mileage!).

One time, we used it for one of the antiques, about thirty years ago. On a model T Endurance Run, two days and about 300 miles total, we threw a connecting rod on a steep hill on the first day. Called the club's phone number and were told that eighteen cars had broken down ahead of us! We had actually passed eight of them before we lost the rod. I told the club member to not worry about us, we would call AAA. AAA took us and our car to the motel where we had our reservation along with a bunch of other club cars and members.

That evening, in the motel's parking lot, I replaced the rod with the spare I had brought with me. The irony is, that was the ONLY time I ever carried a spare rod on any tour. The next day we made it back to the finish line. Although technically, we did not finish due to the missed miles the day before.

• Thanks 1

While I pride myself on how fast I can change a tire, after two torn rotator cuffs, I splurged and got the AAA roadside assistance.  I should get the longer distance towing, but one time i was sick as a dog, and another time i was in my suit, 1/2 mile from church and just picked up the phone and watched them changed my modern car tire.  It was great!  It was quick service,  but there are times they cannot get right to you and you may have to use someone else.  That happened to me for a tow, but then they reimbursed me to a certain extent after asking.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

While AAA is not even close to what it used to be .. there are worse. On the other hand check out your regular insurance company - State Farm offers a towing addon for almost nothing and it includes an hour of free labor if they can fix it on the road. So far my two experiences with them have been great...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I used Hagerty for towing recently.  The people in the

office are great--courteous, professional, patient.

However, they use towing companies that contract with

them in some manner.  The towing company they arranged

kept delaying their arrival for hours--thankfully I was

at home and not stuck.  I cancelled that towing company

and used one I knew, and Hagerty reimbursed me.

With AAA, one only has to be a member with that towing

benefit.  One doesn't need to buy insurance from AAA.

There are many AAA-affiliated towing companies here,

and I try to choose one that I like.  I call them directly without

going through the impersonal AAA call center, and confirmed

with an AAA supervisor that I will always do that.

I appreciate good service and am happy to pass on any

good or not-so-good references.

had same issue. hagerty refused to reimburse me

• Thanks 1

I had assumed that I had towing with Hagerty.

Well I did, but was only good for ten miles and I was way out in the boonies.

They told me on the phone that I could update right then and there and they would arrange a tow.

I felt like a hostage. The car was in a safe place so I caught a ride home and brought back my trailer.

That's when I made the move to GS.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 4:13 PM, GARY F said:

I have had AAA premier Platinum for more years than I can remember. Needed only once about 25 yrs ago. Any car that I am in, even if it yours.

On our 1995 Ottawa Canada to Mexico City, Mexico Great North American Race, we broke a rear axle in Ted Holden's 1935 Chryser Airflow.

We ground to a halt on the Texas/Arkansas border (Literally under the overpass of State Line Rd)   Ted didn't have AAA, but I did.  I called and 

they came and got us.  We didn't have a spare axle and we could fly home and get one from Dallas TX.  We had AAA tow us 100 miles closer to         Dallas and found indoor storage until we could come back and fix it.  It was axle.jpg.6b1c0a2cc1b56e6c540bdf61bed929cf.jpg      my, Ted's and the Airflows first DNF (Did Not Finish)  Thanks AAA!

The rest of the story was:  The car was fixed and ran the Peking to Paris Race a few years later and finished 3rd in class.

Some day I'll write that car's biography.

• Thanks 1

I have had AAA Roadside Assistance for nearly 30 years, and I cannot say enough good things about them. The call center people have always been courteous, the tow trucks show up in good time (usually 30-40 minutes), the trucks are clean and the drivers are considerate and friendly. They have towed my daughters truck when she threw a drive shaft on the freeway (dealer snapped a u-bolt on the rear u-joint when they rebuilt the differential), my motorcycle, my 1925 Maxwell/Chrysler and my son's 1924 Chevy (several times-it took him a few tows to realize there's no gas gauge 😆). Every time I was extremely pleased with the service (though not the fact we needed towing😏). I would highly recommend AAA for Roadside Assistance.

• Thanks 1

We have a motorhome; one day, just 45 minutes from home, we had 2 flats. I called my regular insurance company which offers roadside assistance but I learned they're really not prepared for something like this. None of the tire shops in the area had anyone available (it was a Saturday morning) so they finally sent some poor tow company from 40 minutes away. The guy barely spoke English and instantly realized he was in over his head (didn't even have a lug wrench big enough.) Wasted a couple hours on that endeavor, before finally finding a one-man truck tire guy who happened to be hanging out at his shop and answered the phone. 

I work for my insurance company :) I just couldn't suggest them for motorhome roadside assistance. Once I worked for a repair shop with a tow truck, more or less a sideline. We would get lots of calls from desperate auto club/insurance tow plans trying to find anyone, ANYONE, who could help them. It was often hard to believe we were the closest available as the tow was often 30-40 miles away, but nobody said yes so they just kept trying.