Cord 810 Phaeton Very Nice

Having spent the winter crawling around underneath one of these,  I can attest to the fact that someone spent some money on this car.

But I want you to compare the text from this dealer with some of the dealers we know that are good at what they do.   There is not a single sentence specific to this car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1936-Cord-810-4-seat-Phaeton-/363362831442

The all-time classic 1936 810 Cord-Phaeton, with a Lycoming 125HP engine, with three main bearings, and white walls has graced our lot. Cord cars are among the most influential American cars ever built, and while not common or found for sale often, the 810 Cord-Phaeton offered an alternative to the more traditional classics built by the Big Three and the other independent manufacturers. Of the four models offered by Cord the Phaeton was the premier model.

The 1936 Cord-Phaeton 810 has a four-speed electrically-selected, semi-automatic transmission among other innovative features, and is by far the eye candy for car enthusiast. The brand name for the upscale American Car, Cord-Phaeton Model 810/812 are probably the best-known of the company's products. Styled by Gordon M. Buehrig, of the Auburn Automobile Company, is a must for any collector. The Cord 810 was America's First front wheel drive car. Cord managed to sell only 1,174 of the 1936 810’s in its first year. The car is well known for its flat front nose with a louvered grille design that resembled a coffin, earning it the nickname “Coffin Nose”

It has been written that “Somehow the Cord looked like a beautiful thing that had been born and just grew up on the highway."

The new Cord overshadowed everything else on the show floors with its breathtaking lines, hidden headlamps and door hinges, lack of an upright radiator grille, low stance, and futuristic dashboard.

For additional information please visit us at or contact us at; ~ 866-723-9619

RPM Motor Cars, offer financing, extended warranties and service provided by our trained staff.
For more pictures and details checkout out website Or email us at We are passionate car enthusiasts who care about you and your car. We offer great financing, extended warranties, accept quality trades, and we are a full service facility with factory trained technicians. Inspections are welcome and encouraged. Drive your passion.

Cord810Phaeton.JPG

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

But I want you to compare the text from this dealer with some of the dealers we know that are good at what they do.   There is not a single sentence specific to this car.

It is done like that to pull you in, and go looking for more.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhpo0Frxig

3 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Actually, that is smart on the dealers end.  The seller then can state that no representations we’re made on this car.

Bet the dealer won’t guarantee it’s green!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Matt.....one of the smartest guys I know who dealt in early cars had a standard comment. It applied to every car he sold.

I know nothing about it, please come inspect it for yourself.

He did guarantee a good clear title.  Nothing  else. He delt in high dollar stuff only. He was very successful. He too was tired about call backs on cars built in 1910. I had tried to purchase a car from him once. He warned me off that he thought it wasn’t a very good car. Anything pre war, people usually already know what they want, and what they are buying. Post war stuff........hell no. I could go in and on...........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A gentleman I knew (he passed away a few years ago) purchased a Linn halftrack (rare in itself) with one of the first grade-all units on the back at an auction. It had been part of a museum collection. When he got it trucked home he found out that the engine  - a big Waukesha was just a shell - no crank, no pistons, no cam - nothing. When he contacted the auction house they simply stated "as is, where is" and had made no claim to it being complete or running. They were correct in that regard. As my stepson said about his not-so-pleasant girlfriend at the time.... "....but she looks nice."

GW640H480-1.jpg.f4cbf166a556f9dc0f8374cd669ed44e.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I know someone that purchased a supercharged Cord, only to find it was a supercharger shell stuck on a standard engine.  That’s a $25K mistake....

That seems more common than I realized.  Ours has been happily spinning for over 50 years without issue (knock on wood) so I was oblivious to the gear problem.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, Cadillac Fan said:

Actually, that is smart on the dealers end.  The seller then can state that no representations we’re made on this car.

Some people may feel that way. If I look at an ad that is a copy & paste generic reference VS. a decent description of the actual vehicle for sale I will not bother to reply as it's usually a waste of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I just got a call from a guy who bought a car from me SIX YEARS AGO and the transmission just gave up--he expects me to pick up the $2200 tab for the repairs. Unbelievable.

Matt, don't give up your equanimity.

Even a new-car manufacturer wouldn't pay

for that, 6 years later.  It's challenging to be

kind and principled at the same time, but do

stand up for what's right.

Say "no" firmly but politely.  You may find that

he comes back to buy another car after a while.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

My posts in this thread got deleted? For Pete's sake, why? Because I dared to point out that dealers get sick of the people who try to take advantage of them?

Strange. I have no idea why your posts would have been deleted.  

6 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Some people may feel that way. If I look at an ad that is a copy & paste generic reference VS. a decent description of the actual vehicle for sale I will not bother to reply as it's usually a waste of time.

What if the pictures show a high quality car that you have been searching for at a price you would pay, but with a generic description?  You walk on by?  99 others would call.  

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

My posts in this thread got deleted? For Pete's sake, why? Because I dared to point out that dealers get sick of the people who try to take advantage of them?

Bizarre.  Should be a warning to all sellers( dealer or individuals) as the perils of selling cars to today’s buyers and a warning that representations can come back to bite.  

I just now looked back in to see what was added? Didn't expect to see things deleted! I liked reading what you said, and felt badly for the garbage you get dumped upon you. My thought was and is that it benefits us all to be aware of some of what even good dealers have to put up with. 

My opinion.

15 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

What makes me crazy are people that ask for your best price when you put something up for sale .They ask your best price and they say OK and  then the discussion starts all over when they come to your place .I didn't know or see this or that and i cannot give that price .From now on i say you can come over and we will discuss the final price down here in front of the car .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldIHtruck said:

I think it is very rude to ask over the phone, " what is your best price", without actually even seeing the car in person.

That's a red flag as to the type of dolt that you're dealing with....

I agree wholeheartedly.

And when their first question on the the phone is ' Will you take XXX dollars?', before even talking about the car, I just RAISE the price an equivalent amount.  That gets their attention, and they soon get the message. It's OK for them to offer half the price over the phone, but if you double it you are the worst bxxxx in the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have found most people are very easy to work with, and deal with. Treating everyone the same is hard. Not the treating everyone the same part. But how you are treated for doing it. Most problems are a satillite issue, something circling around looking for a reason to stick. All of the problems I have had in building and buying and selling cars. We're not problems with the customers, you just dealt with issues till they were happy. Problems for the most part are caused by people who have a vested interest in other people's businesses. And hassling the competition by proxy. In Idaho harm is brought to people's businesses, by people using their services. Sounds strange, but if their intent is to get a service or product. And cause problems in the process. You can see how a person's business can be harmed by the intent of others, just by showing up for work and trying to do a quality job. Ask me how I know. Make the customer happy with in reason, what is expected and is right by both parties. I have been targeted as a person and as a business. And I will never engage in what people did to me. Watch for it, you will see it.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:32 PM, Cadillac Fan said:

What if the pictures show a high quality car that you have been searching for at a price you would pay, but with a generic description?  You walk on by?  99 others would call.  

It's a habit of mine as I been conned by those type of ads. Had it happen last week again.