Has anyone bought one? (A vehicle from "Not Mine")

I’m worried when 1955 is considered a “modern” collectible 😀.  1985 maybe but a 65 year old car, especially a Hudson to boot just seems like it is not too modern.  I bet it doesn’t even have 12 cup holders, that makes it primitive by today’s standards.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Here are two that come to mind.

Buying a unusual 65 Mercury - General Discussion - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

and

The fellow that bought the 1935 Chrysler Airstream CZ 8 sedan last years, their link is here somewhere.

Linus Termaine bought the '21 Studebaker Big Six touring through the 'Not Mine" posting.

This gentlemen pursued this 1926 Buick:

For Sale: 1926 Buick Master Six coach - $10,500 - Bingham lake, MN - Not Mine - "Not Mine" Automobiles For Sale - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

And 50's cars have ash trays which is worse.. Never really cared for 55s though think 57 a vintage year.

Interesting to realize that when the AACA was founded, the cars were mainly 25-35 years old. I have 5 over 30 now and all have factory AC.

It was within the last year (I think) that I posted a link to an eBay auction for a pretty nice mid '30's Ford black woody. One of the commenters thanked me for letting him know about the auction and said he would be bidding on the car. I can't remember if he ended up getting it or not. I was kind of surprised because the bidding was getting high and a lot of serious buyers will avoid eBay. It was a beautiful and nicely done car, though.

I haven't bought an old car from eBay in years. For my price range, eBay cars are generally losers. I spend some time looking there though because the format is easy to browse and I can get an idea of market values with the completed auction search.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Has anyone bought one? (A vehicle from "Not Mine")

I actually cancelled an appt I had with the seller for the Wasp. Later that night I found the Not Mine post for it while looking at google images. The post had more pictures and I could see that it had been registered when the owner himself had it posted on craigslist. So, the next day I went and brought it.

• Like 3

I have not purchased a car from that section as of yet.  But I certainly may in the future.

I am with "Fossil" on this one, I really enjoy having my morning coffee while reading that particular forum, sorting through the gems and turds and especially seeing what new treats 58L-Y8 and 6T-FinSeeker have found!

10 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I have not purchased a car from that section as of yet.  But I certainly may in the future.

I am with "Fossil" on this one, I really enjoy having my morning coffee while reading that particular forum, sorting through the gems and turds and especially seeing what new treats 58L-Y8 and 6T-FinSeeker have found!

Me too!  One of the best parts of the day.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GregLaR said:

sorting through the gems and turds

My grandfather taught me about that. The gems are usually on the bottom. At least that's how he did it.

What do they say, one man's turd is another man's gem. Or visa versa . Imagine all the opportunities for tolerance that never came about from that.

• Like 1

I've bought three old cars sight unseen:  one from eBay, one from FordBarn and one from Hemming's.  All turned out to be good cars.  The last one I bought by checking the car out personally turned out to be one "big" lemon.  I even lost a lot of money to get rid of it.  "It is usually the other-way-around isn't it?!?"😕

Capt. Harley😉

• Like 2

Guess that someone's "lemon" is what I consider a "learning experience". Do not do cosmetics so any more must be rust free. All have run when checked out. Have been a couple that didn't run that I didn't buy usually because the seller thought it worth more than I did. Have learned not to take apart until ready to reassemble. Am fortunate to have been able to keep it a hobby. Lately only buy cars for which I can pay cash. Is a choice.

So have bought a number that the world considered "lemons". I didn't.

• Like 1

They say our local university charges about $3500 per credit hour for an MBA. Makes a sight unseen car look like a bargain.

And don't forget the magic questions:

1. Do you own the car and have legal proof?

2 Is the paperwork clear and free of liens, unbranded?

3. How long have you owned the car?

4. Is the car currently licensed and insured?

5. Can it be driven on the road, legally, today?

6 Is the car in storage? If so, how long has it been stored?

7. How many miles did you drive it during the last 12 months?

8. Have you done any major work on the car since you have owned it?

9. What and when was the most recent service or repair?

10. If you decided to keep the car what improvement would you consider important?

Anyone who thinks they got a bad deal, which question would have steered you away?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

They say our local university charges about $3500 per credit hour for an MBA. Makes a sight unseen car look like a bargain.

10. If you decided to keep the car what improvement would you consider important?

Anyone who thinks they got a bad deal, which question would have steered you away?

All those and exhaust/brakes condition etc

My big question is: Is you had $5000 to spend on the car, what would you do? The truth slips out...

29 minutes ago, Ben P. said:

Man, why didn’t I think of that? I don’t like haggling. In fact I don’t. Not the way I was raised - if you ask too much you aren’t worth dealing with. Hasn’t let me down yet.

But as for obtaining truthful information that I need to know to make a decision — that question isn’t confrontational, gets a person to think, lets their guard down... Yeah the truth would slip out.

The correct answer is fill the car with gas and throw a weekend bag in the trunk cuz this car don't need a thing but a new driver! LOL

22 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I bet 75 percent of the cars on the market or even much higher would fail on atleast one of these questions and that's before you get to the questions about body and rust and repair. 

I'm also getting to the point of there is the car.  Look at it for yourself if you live within an hour or so.  The last guy didn't hold my hand when i was buying it,  so I probably won't hold yours and point out any problems on mine.  As usual what leaves my garage is better than what came in but being honest they all can still use something. 

• Like 1

I don’t remember if my Pierce-Arrow was listed here or not but It very well may have been. I did see it was featured on one of those “barn find” blogs and I had seen it in places other than eBay before bidding. I only asked for some clarification on the sale and bought it sight unseen... I’d been looking for something similar for a long while.

I had previously purchased three cars sight unseen from eBay, a BMW Z3 for my wife which was through a dealership so little safer than private sales and was fun for several years and resold for nearly the same price. My Model T which I knew needed engine and interior work but was priced accordingly, still have this one 18 years later! And the last one before the Pierce was a very original Model A which was in great condition but being original turned into a snowball job. That last one I barely broke even with my investment less anything for the labor... But I cannot complain as I had fun with it too!  

So long as you know what you are doing, and are somewhat cautious, buying your dream sight unseen shouldn’t be an issue, but if you talk to a seller and your first thought is “what an Effing A-hole“ that’s the best time to run away... fast.

36E506C2-5E7A-4734-B126-2828E6799176.jpeg

E1E89F55-643C-484E-8F9A-36850DF85F19.jpeg

4EDF483F-9BE9-4FE5-8457-609EEDE50B4D.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gungeey said:

My big question is: Is you had $5000 to spend on the car, what would you do? The truth slips out...

Yesterday my wife and I stopped to look at an older $2500 project car for sale. It was a good buy. As we were driving home she asked me if I was thinking about the car. I answered "No, I was thinking about how I would spend $2500 on my Riviera". It is a space thing, more space, more projects.

The list of questions I posted is the result of listening and reading comments from older, but inexperienced hobbyists over the past 20 years. There is a segment of owners whom had old cars as a kid, but not a lifetime continuity of the hobby, Kodachrome syndrome. Understanding and interpreting the answers to those questions could have saved them a lot of grief.

• Like 1