London to Brighton is Cancelled

oldcarfudd

I am certainly disappointed. I look forward to watching this from afar, and have been checking their website for over two months. Just a week ago, their website stated the event was on. Participants list was shorter than recent years, partially due to travel restrictions not allowing people outside the UK to go there. About a week ago, when I checked the entry list, there were about two hundred cars/entries shown. 

2 hours ago, ted sweet said:

how can they legally not refund?

"There will be no refund of the entry fee in the case of the event being cancelled due to any UK Government restriction or directive after Sunday 4 October 2020." --as stated in entry form. 

I don't consider it a scam.  We're not the only place that's had last minute cancellations due to COVID, and this event is huge.  It's been on my bucket list for years, but I never had a car old enough.  Last year I bought a Curved Dash Olds that has done the run several times and been certified by the Brits as being a genuine 1904.  My intention was to ship it to England this year for the run.  Heh. Heh. Heh.  I'm leery of going next year unless my wife and I can get a trustworthy vaccine.  That means I'm looking at 2022.  But I'm now 84, and my wife is 81.  We're still in pretty good shape, but I'm a retired actuary and very familiar with mortality and morbidity tables.  There's a helluva lot more sand in the bottom of our hourglasses than in the top.  So we'll see.

WW1 didn't stop the run.  The original run was in 1896, but the commemorative runs didn't start until the mid-'20s, after WW1.  So the only things that have stopped the run have been Adolf Hitler's Wehrmacht and an itty-bitty bug.

• Like 5

This reminds me of the 2017? Greenfield village OCF. They sent out appeal letters stating the entry fee was being increased from 25 to 50 dollars and if your car was not accepted they were keeping the money. That was a big mistake. I just decided to not attend as did many others that year. If a person is denied the opportunity to attend the show, the entry fee should be rightfully refunded. They are keeping the money for what exactly?

Have done London to Brighton twice, both in steam. It is not a scam, the preparation and expense to make it happen is greater than Hershey.

The thrill of it ,once you see and hear all those ancient machines makes the weather no matter how bad disappear.

Oldcarfudd, go for it!

• Like 3

Guest Mark McAlpine

I'm sorry to hear about the cancellation of this historic event, but it's not surprising considering what's going on in the world.  I am a bit surprised that it took this long to make the decision.

Here's to a considerably better 2021!

2 hours ago, JAK said:

Have done London to Brighton twice, both in steam. It is not a scam, the preparation and expense to make it happen is greater than Hershey.

The thrill of it ,once you see and hear all those ancient machines makes the weather no matter how bad disappear.

Oldcarfudd, go for it!

If they intend to retain the admission fee for this year's event that not being held, should it not still be valid for 2021 on a 'first come, first served' basis for those who wish to "try again"?   And if an entrant cannot participate in 2021, then they should at least receive close to a full refund, aside for perhaps a $5-$10 service charge for mailing, etc.  

A mighty dishonest practice to keep the entire remittance, if you ask me!!

Craig

From their web page:

I had entered to take part. How do I get a refund?Any additional extras that may have been purchased by participants entered into the 2020 Run (e.g. tender packs, extra participant passes, luggage tags) will be refunded before the end of the month to the original payment method used. You will receive an automated notification from Worldpay.   

The Veteran Car Run is a world-class, international event requiring extensive year-round planning and preparation, as well as continuous liaison with the many authorities along the entire route. In our efforts to make this year’s Run possible, we have already incurred significant costs which the Royal Automobile Club has underwritten.  Unfortunately, cancellation for events beyond our control means that we will not be able to refund your entry fee in accordance with the entry regulations (see 6.4). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The full statement as cited by Philip earlier is " no refund of the entry fee in the case of the event being cancelled due to any UK Government restriction or directive after Sunday 4 October 2020."

The timing is very suspicious and has been no indication that the UK Government said anything.

I am sure that part of the reason for entrants being down this year relative to recent past years was the concern that the event would be cancelled. I suspect many of the people that entered did so knowing that they may be donating their entrance fees to the club, which I suspect could really use the money to offset ongoing expenses they have incurred this year. 

People are funny. Many people that have more money than they can ever spend worry about every little nickel. Of course, that is likely a major part of how they became or remain wealthy. While too many people are extremely loose with any they have (like too many in my family!!), and clearly that is why they will never be even financially stable, let alone wealthy.

Even the wealthy people entering this event are likely to lose many times more money due to other repercussions of this virus than what they lost on their entrance fee. I suspect a lot of them aren't too worried about this one loss.

And most of those that are upset by it, really need to put their priorities in order.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Many people that have more money than they can ever spend worry about every little nickel.

Wayne, as said, your whole post was well put....and I've known people that act as you mention.  It's not a bad thing, it's just interesting.  One of my best friends for a long time, now departed, was like that.  Worth millions, but every penny he spent on one of his cars (and he had over 50, most Full Classics) was analyzed, decided upon, and entered in a ledger for that particular car.  He could tell you to the penny, including labor hours for his 3 man work force, how much he had in each car.  Again, not a bad thing, just seemingly over tedious for the money he had.  Of course, I guess it helped on tax angles and capital gains and all that good stuff.

Money is a funny thing.  My father was from a family in South Louisiana, and as a whole, the family had very little money.  One of my uncles, however, amassed a fortune in the petroleum business.  He could have easily set up an educational fund for the nieces and nephews, and it would have been a drop in the bucket for him and meant the world for them.  But, it was his money and nobody outside his immediate family was getting any.  Again, not wrong, but with a stroke of a pen he could have helped a lot of his relatives and never missed the money at all.

As they say, money doesn't buy happiness, but I'd rather be miserable in a Mercedes than in a Yugo....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I had invested an entry fee in the London to Brighton I would have a right to be perturbed by it not being reimbursed but since I have nothing invested, I could care less. Moreover, anybody that had read the entry rules would have to know in the case of cancellation, fees would not be reimbursed. Again, I don't understand why anybody should be upset. If the costs of putting on the event aren't met, is there any reason to expect the event to be put on again next year. If I had money invested, I'd rather see the event go on than be cancelled forever.

I have often wondered about the huge salaries and incomes of some people and have often said, Capitalism only works when there is a strong moral foundation. Otherwise it erodes into what we have today. It used to be that CEOs would be embarrassed to take the salaries offered today. No more.

Uh oh, it looks like I've gone off topic and deep into the weeds. Sorry.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:57 AM, trimacar said:

As they say, money doesn't buy happiness, but I'd rather be miserable in a Mercedes than in a Yugo....

My grandmother would say, "Rich or Poor, it's nice to have Money".

Working class who achieve a modest level of financial comfort,

Silver Spoon babies,

Trust Fund kids, 

... In my experience, no matter how well-off folks are, they rarely consider themselves rich, and prefer to note others whom are assumed to have more.

Eye of the Beholder ??

Knowing that the organizers have non-recoverable expenses, and with regard to governmental restrictions and regulations, I can understand the need to protect the function,

but would hope that at least some portion of the withheld entry funds would be applicable to a future event. A local friend who has driven to London-to-Brighton reminds us just how enjoyable the event really is.

Sharing the joy of the hobby is a lot more rewarding than sitting in the dark, counting pennies, at least in my opinion -

and we all know how much opinions are worth...

Just my $0.02

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Knowing that the organizers have non-recoverable expenses, and with regard to governmental restrictions and regulations, I can understand the need to protect the function,

but would hope that at least some portion of the withheld entry funds would be applicable to a future event. A local friend who has driven to London-to-Brighton reminds us just how enjoyable the event really is.

My argument is that someone who has already paid for this year's event should be allowed to enter next year without having to pay all over again aside from an inflationary difference of maybe 5-10%.  Keep in mind, they get to use yours, and all the other entrants' money for an entire year, and if invested right, should come out at least breaking even.

Craig

and when cleaning out the garage is like Christmas. Now taking a canoe hoist and the straps from a bicycle carrier to make a one person hoist for an Allante hardtop. Wondering if my little 12v winch would be overkill. Hard part is getting around the garage door opener track.

ps 'nother lesson larned a long time ago, the best things in life, what really matters, you either get for free or you do not get at all.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Oh now that's harsh. Do know if wanted to enter the London-Brighton I'd study what cars consistently finish but suspect I'd look for a Stanley.

ps said I preferred cars with AC. Never said didn't have a lot on pre (chose a war) war cars just more interested in ones like a 637 hp Mercedes (1937)

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

On 10/21/2020 at 6:26 PM, 1937hd45 said:

First time I've had a chance to read the rules and regulations, sounds like it isn't their first rodeo. Best wishes to all and the 2021 event. Bob 

I would agree, they definitely have been doing this for some time. The program was in my Father's collection of auto literature

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I've found that once someone posts petty unrelated stuff to the cars they are clueless about I just BLOCK all future posts from them. Life is short, don't let them bother you. Bob 

Bob, I only wish I could... 

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1