HERSHEY 2020 CAR SHOW PLEASE WAIT FOR MORE INFO

Hans1

Date: September 24, 2020 at 11:42:03 AM EDT
To: Essexadv <essexadv@comcast.net>
Subject: Re:  Hershey Saturday

Lew,

Sorry to have to inform you at this late date Hershey Fall Nationals is cancelled due to complications from COVID. No checks have been cashed and all checks will be shredded.

Thank you,

Rich Spina
Hershey Region Show Car Registration Co-chair

Sincere thanks to the Hershey Region for all the time and effort they put in to attempt to make the show happen. I know many many feel exactly the same I do but will not express this. Thank you Hershey Region officers and members for all you do and have done for so many many decades. I know you are as disappointed as the rest of us are - HERSHEY 2021  !!!!!!!!

Walt Gosden

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for making this decision with our health and well-being paramount.  Frankly, I couldn't conceive how such a popular show could be conducted and not become a source of virus spread.  We will of course miss it but would rather to live to attend many more years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quite honestly, I'm not surprised. When the flea market was cancelled, I knew that the A.A.C.A did the right thing. When I heard that the car show was still going to be held, I was very skeptical, but kept my fingers crossed, but with a resurgence in several areas it's best for everyone. Just think how great 2021 will be!

• Like 1

I've only been to the Hershey meet once, but if I would have had to wait while they let 25 visitors in and go in the next bunch for a limited amount of time, like the store I went to Saturday, I'd rather wait to next year. Maybe we can make it a real humdinger then and a lot of unseen cars will come out of the woodwork.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Too bad about the cancellation but it is the right thing to do. I was registered and spent a lot of time getting my car ready to go but the spreading of Covid  is apparently too risky.

I have been skeptical about people keeping distance and wearing masks. Too many people are careless. 

Looking forward to next year.

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Everyone.  Before you write off Hershey and make alternate plans, please wait a few days.  I just spoke with Steve Moskowitz and alternate plans are being worked.  As he said in his e-mail earlier today, everything possible is being done to work out the best possible solution for our members.  Thanks for your patience!

Be safe and stay healthy! 

29 minutes ago, 1932chev said:

However this resolves, it seems to be that personal emails were sent to some but not all participants.  Not the best way for word to get out.

It would be up to each member to make sure

that his contact information (telephone and

electronic mail address) are current with AACA

records.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It would be up to each member to make sure

that his contact information (telephone and

electronic mail address) are current with AACA

records.

This member has given correct, current contact info to AACA.  The original comment in this post reads as a personal email, not a mass email, as it is addressed to him personally.

57 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

How is this going to affect the popular auctions that occur in January, including B-J, and Russo & Steele?

Craig

They will likely be online only. Many auction houses such as RM have already adopted to an online format and are enjoying some success. I think the business model will change and they will be hesitant to go back to moving all the cars to one place and making all the people come to the cars. There are the issues of inspection, of course, but they seem to have that handled by making the cars available to interested parties prior to the auction. Less overhead for the auction companies and they can push even more of the liability onto the buyers and sellers. That's a win-win. They may still have their biggest events like Scottsdale and Monterey each year, but I think you will see them shrink in scale with many of the cars offered remaining offsite. I bet Scottsdale 2021 will be off the table if it isn't already.

COVID is going to change a lot of things in the world, some for the better and some for the worse. I think "going back to normal" isn't going to happen 100% and there will be a different definition of "normal" five years from now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• KRK Sr. changed the title to HERSHEY 2020 CAR SHOW PLEASE WAIT FOR MORE INFO

If the number of entries to the Hershey Fall Meet could be reduced to make it easier to proceed with Hershey, my thought is we had approximately 500 cars at the Gettysburg Grand National just weeks ago, all of which were judged. For those that did not show at Gettysburg allowed them to enter the Hershey Meet and those of us, including myself who was at Gettysburg, stay home to allow Hershey to have a smaller Meet for them.

Gettysburg Judging scores might be reused for any additional awards that could have been made if at the Hershey meet. 

I don't expect this to fly but it makes sense if it opens the door for a smaller Hershey Meet for those that are looking forward to showing.

I don't know all the details as to how this would work but worth mentioning.

I don't know why it wasn't considered to contact the Millers at Carlisle! They may have been willing to extend their facility by one week to host the AACA show!! The place is set up for a large car show already, plus a flea market and Car Corral.The food vendors would have been in seventh heaven with more money to be made, and that alone would have buffered the fee the Millers would have charged!. No Covid Restrictions there!