How to make the car collector wife happy..

nick8086

I once saw a billboard that had a single rose on one side, a massive bouquet on the other and “How much trouble are you in?”   was the message in the middle... 

My wife on the other hand can embrace some of my sickness, and even went along with me turning one carousel item into a car related subject... but flowers make her mention that billboard every time.

F9A6E522-7754-45F4-B812-0784BB21372F.jpeg

• Like 1

It never changes no matter your station in life.  We had an extremely well heeled client recently ask us to tell his new wife that he had owned his just purchased $300k antique car for "years".   Had another ask us to move the decimal point 1 place to the left on any billing we sent him. He bought an unrestored project for $50k but his receipt showed $5k. Names and details have been changed to protect the guilty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's easy. Just buy one and only one car, ready to use . And have any work needed done at a pro shop. No dirt , smell, parts , parts cars, dirt under the fingernails, grease on hands.

Next projects, sheds full of parts, friends cars under tarps out in the yard, need I go on. 

In other words a good 60 % of us will never be able to have our hobby as we know it and truly make our wives happy.  We can try , but it is a loosing battle. A stand off needs to be counted as a win.

Greg

Nice vases, these were a gift to my wife from a dear friend when I bought the Pierce...

I have been very lucky with the cars but when she asked for a greenhouse for Christmas I never said anything but you pick it out and I will put it together! It’s a give and take when you get married and that’s life, it’s also a heck of a lot cheaper than a divorce!

B5C1AABB-026F-46AE-A88E-499600589C35.jpeg

• Like 3

My wife tried driving my T once, and she could move it if desperately needed but she was much better with the A’s since the transmission seems to be more like a modern car even though it wasn’t synchromesh. She said she didn’t want to try the Pierce because of its size but she’ll fall in love with its shifting, Seems a little weird at first and I wouldn’t leave it in free-wheeling but way easier than the A...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Just bought a big car difficult to park , so looking to buy wife fiat 500 , flowers definitely cheaper 

Pilgrim, if you saw the Fiat's reliability ratings,

you'd buy her some other small car instead.

Preferably, an antique of some sort.

Or just buy her the flowers--as you said, they're cheaper!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Or get lucky and connect with a woman who loves cars as much as you do. Life is good!

In my experience they are rather few and far between. But we can all dream !  It's an unfortunate fact many women are a lot more interested in something along the lines of the Martha Stewart lifestyle  than old cars. 

Finding one that even tolerates the old car hobby is at times a challenge.  They are out there , but sort of  like Duesenbergs . Much more demand than supply.

Greg 

My wife has no interest in my cars, but she loves driving her own cars that I got her around.  We have come up with a 3 to 1 rule which is for every three cars I get, she wants a pink car to drive around.  IMG_1701.thumb.jpg.2e3708bd5c159d637d71ecd75a07fced.jpgIMG_0944.thumb.jpg.8c73e6f1708c20c2dc59549ebc94d245.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kfle said:

My wife has no interest in my cars, but she loves driving her own cars that I got her around.  We have come up with a 3 to 1 rule which is for every three cars I get, she wants a pink car to drive around.  IMG_1701.thumb.jpg.2e3708bd5c159d637d71ecd75a07fced.jpgIMG_0944.thumb.jpg.8c73e6f1708c20c2dc59549ebc94d245.jpg

Right on, brother!

PinkLady1.thumb.jpg.fcd5853f4524818c5bcf6fc5004cfd9e.jpg

• Like 3