The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

Update:

The fun thing about great cars.........They keep getting better. Just found another shot of my car at the 1917 New York Auto Salon in the Astor Hotel. Here you go........my car is in the rear of the photo to the right of center.....

670A73C7-3E7B-4605-B01E-AA21D7400B57.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As much fun as the new second photo of the car on the Salon Stand is.........I just located this......the original artwork of the car......done by a famous illustrator Earl Teale, this is the original 1917 artwork, recently found in the lost files of Peter Helck. Needless to say, it has been a good day. The soldiers in the artwork are part of the Franco-American Army Expeditionary Forces that were well documented using White Trucks and White Motor Cars. The event was covered in all the national papers of the day.

B5BED09A-75CA-44E0-8FBB-905222BE9CE8.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

George......this one is for you............(Grimy)........spoke to the Florida RMV this morning. They lost my paperwork AGAIN! That’s twice in three weeks. I told them I want temporary tags with insurance provided by them.........and they said they will let me know by tomorrow. 

Aaarrrggghhh!  What's your sphygmomanometer reading today?  Perhaps you should move to Califunny.....

I hate to complain.......but I will. I put 15 gallons of fuel in the car yesterday so I can drive it immediately when the plate arrives. Is it asking too much to actually drive my car that has a clear and clean title? I’m getting more than pissed off...........such bullxhit...........and the court is closed because of COVID. I’m gonna start driving this thing and tell them to shove it. Months of work, countless dollars spent, all I really want to do is punch someone’s lights out.......unfortunately, no one around here deserves the smack down. Government is no longer for the people.........it’s for the overpaid drones that suck the life out of the people doing real productive work and paying for everything. Eventually the “We the People” are going to push back........and when it happens it’s going to be ugly.

• Like 8

Take a set of plates off another car as close to the age as the great white. Put them on the white and “drive it like you stole it “ (I’ve heard that phrase somewhere) if you get stopped by the cops how many would know the great white isn’t what ever you took the plates off. 
Have fun. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Take a set of plates off another car as close to the age as the great white. Put them on the white and “drive it like you stole it “ (I’ve heard that phrase somewhere) if you get stopped by the cops how many would know the great white isn’t what ever you took the plates off. 
Have fun. 

Unfortunately I don’t have plates that I can do that with that are my property......and I don’t want to cause a problem for friends. I checked into borrowing a dealer plate......but there were problems there also. 

• Like 1

On Friday I bought a pair of Massachusetts four digit 1917 Plates, that will match the car perfectly......they arrive Friday......and they will be used then if nothing else turns up.

• Like 5

but the Greekicane is headed for Bermuda. Seems like with all of the problems they could generate a temporary tag. When I had trouble with the Italian titled mini, they gave me a paper tag so I could drive to the DMV for verification of the serial number.

30 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Take the plates off your daily driver. If a cop stops you tell him it’s a rat rod, prove differently!  
Got to get that Great White on the road. 

In Florid, it's a criminal charge for attaching plates.......I looked close at the rules. So, I will insure the car, carry all the paperwork, and emails from DMV.....thus it's only a registration charge IF I get stopped, and I would insist on a trial, so, if I'm careful I will be alright. I expect a call from them today or tomorrow for my paperwork............famous last words!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Laws were meant to be broken!  But your method is the right, correct and safest way to go about getting the best results. It’s just frustrating to deal with government ineptitude in everything you have to interact with them in today’s world. 
I built a barn for my daughters horses and where ever code called for 2x4 I used 2x6 lumber. If it called for 2x6 I used 2x8, you get the idea. On the electrical I put it all in conduit so mice, raccoons and the horses wouldn’t chew on it. Code did not call for that. When the inspector came he failed me on the inspection because it wasn’t to code!  There happens to be a village board meeting the next night so I didn’t get into it with the inspector but I did call city hall to get time to address the village board. When I was done the audience was clapping and laughing the board members were embarrassed, I got my approval and it helped a bunch of other people having inspection problems with that turkey. 

Go full guns if you get stopped and let us know how it goes. If you need someone to bail you out give me a call. I can be there in six or seven hours( maybe five )  if I don’t get pulled over!  

• Like 3

I was interested to see in the latest episode of Chasing Classic Cars, Wayne goes to the AACA Museum and at one point is shown their oldest bus, a 1912 White.  I guess everybody is getting in on the White craze! :)

666844577_ScreenShot2020-10-20at11_04_20PM.thumb.png.df2fd02478b061b2429fb1ef0b4d8081.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I was interested to see in the latest episode of Chasing Classic Cars, Wayne goes to the AACA Museum and at one point is shown their oldest bus, a 1912 White.  I guess everybody is getting in on the White craze! :)

666844577_ScreenShot2020-10-20at11_04_20PM.thumb.png.df2fd02478b061b2429fb1ef0b4d8081.png

Eddy is a market maker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SO Ed has a 7 passenger White, the AACA Museum has a White bus - all equipped with multiple seats. White was well known by most people for making trucks. Hummmmmm

some of us less fortunate blokes only have pieces to be part of this "White cloud" of collectorship. I have a script cast wheel hub wrench for a White, the sales catalog for Leon Rubay that shows all the body styles, AND this alloy shell that has had the bottom loop removed that has been sitting in my back porch for a year or so until I get around to taking it inside to sand and polish to go from Cloudy White to Shiny White. The shell I have I bought from Austin Clark at one of his museum "Iron Range Days" about 45 years ago , I think it cost $25.00 😊

WHITEradiator shell.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is an article talking about early streamlining in The American Scientific magazine, by an aeronauticial engineer. He spefically refers to the body style of my car and Rubay with the walk through center front seats, and fold away jump seats, lower headlights ,ect. Interesting observations. My body was pattented in 1915 By Tom Hibbard , founder of LeBaron and Hibbard & Darrin of Paris. All lots of fun. Enjoy the article by an architect and engineer, very insightful........especially the comment about split V windshields which White offered in 1917..

Click on the page to blow it up and see it clearly.

Scan 8.jpeg

Scan 9.jpeg

Scan 10.jpeg

Scan 11.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update:

In a book of fiction, when writing a story, it is said you can never put something in the plot that is beyond belief. I received a call today............ And I have been informed that I will be seeing a photo of my car with the original owner taken in 1918. I certainly hope that it works out that truth is stranger than fiction! I will have it in my hand by the end of next week if everything works out well. It’s also my understanding that there may be two more pieces of original art work with my car in it. The plot thickens..........with luck we will receive more provenance and documentation on the car. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wayne sheldon said:

OO-ooh--, more teasers!

I hope so........It’s probably a photo of a Model A doodlebug! Time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The author of the Article that is shown here John J. Ide was a well known traveler and personality in the auto and social world in the WWI to 1930s era. Very talented and well written. His brother lived on long island in Syosset or Huntington  and inherited Ides collection ( he saved everything - all the car literature, aviation material etc. ) Had the $ to take the best form of transportation of that era. I have a towel that Ide took as a souvenir on an airship he traveled on - framed it and it hangs in my study. that airship was a zeppelin - the Graff Zeppelin.

I was able to get some of the material John J. Ide had gathered in his travels when it was new, so did Austin Clark, all came from a book dealer that we both knew of who got the collection in tact from the brother. There was many duplicates of stuff. I know Austin had all the aviation items but do not know where they wound up when he passed away. Ide owned a Hispano Suiza limousine when new H6b ?? if I am not mistaken and memory serves me well - Kellner body. He also had a new 1934 Lincoln KB conv sedan in Europe with a Dietrich body on it. There was a Bentley ca. 1936-37 tourer as well . I have photos of all of this someplace.

To much stuff here, this winter I need to do a big reshuffle, sort out and refile that hasn't been done in 3 years.  Sorry if this is taking over the thread a bit, will stop now. To many stories to little time, with no print publication to put it all down in.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

That’s a 1914 or 1915 small series 28 horse power car on a 115 inch chassis. Looks a bit like the later and larger cars......but in reality it’s more a mid level car compared to the 6-60 and 16 Valve cars. That car in the auction is a factory body unit. A nice car.....but not a top of the line machine. Earlier and more conventional is a very accurate description. 

• Thanks 1

Update:

Paperwork arrived on the car today......now I have to wait for an appointment at the RMV till Tuesday next week. Long story on the final result.........I will opine after Tuesday’s appointment. The open road is only a few days away........we are in a very heavy rain cycle here........so driving isn’t an option till Monday anyway.

• Like 2

Video of a long drive will post soon...........got to have someone who can play the “Ballad of Jed Clampett” while we are driving, I plan to sing along..............so it ain’t gonna be pretty!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1