The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

On 11/7/2020 at 3:22 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Saddened to hear about Phil being sick! However very pleased that the prognosis is good. Be easy on him. From what I hear about this nasty bug is that the real issues may well be the lingering aftereffects which seem to vary greatly from one person to another. I still don't personally know anyone that has had it, and hopefully it can stay that way. However it is having a resurgence around here. The numbers here have jumped up again, and officials are hinting at further lockdowns.

Bummer about Phil - hope he keeps doing fine.  

Yesterday, I was over at the storage building stopping in to see one of the Auburn's and the building inspector was there inspecting work going on via new roof and was quick to warn to keep project in a good place to walk away at any time over next two weeks via  possible second shut down here (last evening too Governor put in a mandatory mask order with business shut down penalties that allow unmasked in).  I get the Friday report from work (we run Covid testing and numbers for the County) - doing a little better in some ways and not others - here the death to admittance rate at hospitals is 23% and state wide is 27% (a little better than end of October).

NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. 

On 10/28/2020 at 8:05 AM, Robert G. Smits said:

Ed, I know I speak for almost everyone on this forum when i say THANK YOU for keeping it original!!!  As you know many would have converted this into a "Trailer Queen".  I made this mistake on several cars myself including a 31 Cad V-12  with 34K original miles.  As I aged in the hobby I realized the historical value of unrestored cars that you can drive and enjoy.

It is a commitment - we have a discussion going on about the driveability of Supercharded Cords (and everyone has their two cents, but those successful tend to be very handy, engineers or engineering minded, rebuild for others, or ...)  - anyway, my comment is that for all the 30's cars that we drive, Dad and I feel that it costs us on the average of about 2K extra a year for each 1K miles we put on the cars - seems small until you realize that is an extra 20K over 10 years - AND THOSE WILLING TO COMMIT THE TIME AND MONEY ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN, PLUS IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH SITTING FOR A CAR TO GET UNDEPENDABLE . 

• Like 3

This becomes a problem that slips up on you.  You can afford the next car on your list but forget how much time it takes to properly maintain a pre war car for touring and enjoyment.  After a while you realize you haven't driven a particular car for five years.  It takes time and money to bring them back.  Getting older doesn't help!!!

• Like 6

Ed, I don’t remember if this has been brought up before, but with the low production numbers for Whites, and the few survivors that are left, I’m sure knowing the whereabouts of any other 1917 Whites might be helpful/interesting. 
I was looking in a book I have “Great Car Collections of the World” by Edward Eves and Dan Burger (copyright 1986).  They list the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland Ohio and they provide a list of Cars in the collection circa 1986. Surprisingly the collection had Ten White vehicles. Most were surely Steam, but it caught my eye that one was a 1917 Town Car 16 valve 4.

No information other than that. The book is 36 years old, not sure if the museum is still in operation,  but some Ohio club members might know, and I wonder if the 1917 White is still there or what happened to it. 

79384AF2-1A29-493B-ABE7-BA2F314DD5E6.jpeg

The White - white color- town car is registered as a 1915, but it’s a mid year 16, and probably a family prototype as it has a two plug head, and a battery and mag ignition. Nice car that is currently running. Here is a photo. The yellow car is a 1917, currently still in the museum. It’s a shorter wheelbase than my car....124 VS 139. It too was a White family car...........notice the headlights......a sure giveaway MOST of the time is the lights and splash aprons. There are a few small 1916 4-45 cars with the 1917 style lights........but the different chassis can be determined by splash aprons.....it’s all confusing to people who haven’t studied it.

AF1B2B51-A91A-45D2-975B-D6F6A14E5017.png

61911558-71EA-426B-8AF3-D2C5F970A8C2.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Well....it was a shxt week.......but things got better this afternoon. I was gifted this neat item.......which I was desperately looking for. Now we can get along ten times easier..........and much faster. Never thought I would own a 105 year old tap and die set for the crazy USS thread the White car uses. Look closely at where the set came from.........one of the “Three P’s“! 

7AEDC868-1D12-40F7-B9E6-2B6D89972F71.jpeg

392BD995-F9D4-4C18-B015-5B8B4CEFD2C4.jpeg

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Car looks great but I think you need a better looking model next to it! 

We sacrifice looks for mechanical talent..........it’s a good trade off when driving a 104 year old car. Sorry about the face, but at least I have a good personality!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
25 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Richard Gere?

Nope.........he is known to most members here, and is known to drive a handful of pre 1930 cars........among them are a handful of Oldsmobile’s. 

Ed, I was thinking on the top... 

I was reading about antique aircraft restorations - particularly WW1 were the fabric had deteriorated badly but they wanted to stabilize it

and preserve it. One technique was carefully applying new fabric to the underside to reinforce the existing fabric with its markings and patina.

I wonder if something similar could be done with the top on the White?

I am sure you have a plan. Glad to see it out and about!

It’s first private show today. An interesting assortment of real car people who decided that they had to get a car out after nine months of staring at the walls. It was a good time. 

981121F4-5875-4981-B68D-E4BCED58C050.jpeg

• Like 6

Fun day at the private show.......the Polo Club field was a swamp......so they moved the show to a private residence.......the kind that Bill Gates would own if you get what I mean. Owner was great, and it was a fantastic private event with about 100 cars..........interesting crowd from famous rap stars and LeMans winners to every day car guys. We managed a special award with the White.........which was a ton of fun, and lots of positive comments from people. Unfortunately Phil with the hands like George the Animal Steel was felling much better but the doctors wouldn’t let him out yet............so, Phil........this one is for you!👍

13A1163D-2230-4667-8712-2450CDAD5773.jpeg

• Like 4

UPDATE:

The special visitor from up North was David C. just not the famous or infamous David Coco, it was David C ........AKA as the Nickelroadster! 👍

Thanks for a fun weekend David. It turns out we have several mutual friends in Georgia. He’s on his way up north now, after having his first old car fix this year. He also got a chance to drive “The Great White!”.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
On 7/31/2020 at 10:59 PM, edinmass said:

Early this morning, I received a text... It was a quick note of a obscure car he has known of for years, coming up for sale. I texted him back for more details........although I wasn’t too intrested..... I decided to sniff out the car just a bit. I did ten minutes research, and inquired about the car with him on a follow up phone call. My interest was peaked a bit more..........not too much. A few hours go by, and a few old poorly done photos show up on my phone via text message. A little more research, and I realized this car was really interesting, and a “sleeper” for what era it is....

So what I’ve wanted to know all this time is - before you went and saw it what told you this could be a great car?

Had this very car turned up in an ad (with or without a photo) in HMN I would’ve thought, “Neat”, and turned the page. Never would’ve given it a second thought. Largely stuck in books, I only had in mind what is typically mentioned of White in automotive ‘history’ books which is - they produced a steam car superior to the more famous Stanly until 1911 when they switched to gasoline motors. Which sold so poorly the company switched entirely to trucks which they found more profitable after WWI.

Had the ad mentioned it was a 4-cyl I definitely wouldn’t’ve given it a second thought.

Actually, I had seen ads in HMN for gasoline powered White cars in the 1980’s/90’s. Or a White. My recollection is that it was advertised month after month after month only to disappear for a year or two and then turn up again - advertised month after month after month.

(Don’t ask how I remember such things.)

I’m pretty sure that ad never mentioned it was a 4-cylinder.

There was also a gasoline White chassis speculated to be from a car (and not a truck) that was advertised for over a year....

That alone — a complete chassis for a car built in very small numbers — not being snapped up instantly gave me the impression that its unobtainium parts were not worth a thing.

Edited by Ben P.
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I called Ed and told him about the car.  He researched it, and realized it was special.  He called me back within a few hours. I’d seen the car in person so knew it was a solid find.  Asking price was fair and selling price was excellent, fellow just wanted a good home for it.  Seller was as appreciative of me finding a good home for it as Ed was appreciative of acquiring it.

As Ed has stated, sometimes cars find you and it’s fate. Maybe not mysterious, but serendipitous....

• Like 3