The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

FINAL REGULAR POST UPDATE:

Everything in life must come to an end, and it’s time to put this thread to its logical conclusion. While the car still needs a bit of sorting and finishing...........today I will align the front end.......it’s time to end the regular updates. I will install a new set of tires in a few weeks, and do countless other small items. I spent the last four days driving the White as my “everyday car”. It’s been staying outside overnight in my driveway at my house.....the rain and heat finally stopped in Southern Florida. I used the car for going to work, out to eat, the grocery store as well as the hardware store. Took the wife and dogs for a three hour ride in it along the water on Thanksgiving day. Since the first time I started it, it has never failed to proceed or break down. Every single time I set out in it from day one, it’s made it back to the garage without complaint. Rather amazing if you ask me. It’s entirely reliable, starts instantly hot or cold...........the strangest sensation even for me.........a car this early and new to the road is simply a 100 percent reliable car. The car has been a pure joy to learn about, recommission, and drive. I don’t think I have ever worked on a project that was as much fun as this one. I have made fifty new friends during this adventure.........which is even better than owning the car. I will come back and post occasional updates........but the best update will be looking for the car in the publications as I intend to drive it that much in the next few years. The car will now make its way north as soon as it’s finished. The White was one of the few bright spots in my life during the pandemic..........so much sadness and heartbreak  on a daily basis.....it was fantastic therapy for me........and from the comments I have received, for many others as well. I would like to thank everyone who has helped, commented, shared information, and contacted me during this “Great White Adventure” the car has become something much different than I anticipated..........and every single part of the journey has been fun. My best to all...........and I hope to see you at a show or on a tour.....with a bit of luck, I will be driving the White or displaying it at the event. We still have another six months of challenging times ahead of us before we get back to “normal”...........if anyone dares to think any of us ever fit the definition of the word!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

We enjoyed the ride along this adventure has been as well. Looking forward to seeing it and possibly getting that actual ride in the days to come. It’s been a series of bright spots during this pandemic and none better than hearing Phil is coming out of his touch of C19 ok. I hope you enjoy this continuing adventure for many years to come. 
Now maybe you can do this all over again with another thread on something you mentioned early in the Great White thread!  
dave s 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, SC38DLS said:

We enjoyed the ride along this adventure has been as well. Looking forward to seeing it and possibly getting that actual ride in the days to come. It’s been a series of bright spots during this pandemic and none better than hearing Phil is coming out of his touch of C19 ok. I hope you enjoy this continuing adventure for many years to come. 
Now maybe you can do this all over again with another thread on something you mentioned early in the Great White thread!  
dave s 

The next car.......will be a little while till I get to Long Island to pick it up. As I said before.....it’s strange. It too has an interesting  history........... No guessing or posting yet please.........your one hint is in the post below. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you really enjoyed it and the memories of things I had forgotten (sliding a Jag through Sloan's curve...)

If staying with the 4 valves per cyl in 1932, a DV32 maybe ?

• Like 1

Thank you Ed.  I read every post...some more than once.  I learned more about pre-war cars from this thread than I have ever learned from books.  I look forward to coming down to meet you and the Great White when this Wu Flu crap finally runs it's course.  Regards, George

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Just so you guys who don’t personally know Mr. Minnie, he’s a great guy, considering....

Mr Minnie?

Considering?   🤭

All those terrible things you hear about me are true......especially the ones my mother talks about! 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Showing respect, Ed, I’m sure there are other descriptors which would fit, but trying to be nice!

I value you as a good friend, one I would never have without our wonderful hobby.

Posts can debate money and values all day long, but if you’re not making friends in this hobby, you’d best collect some thing else, as you’re missing the point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks David! 

Although the Chinese Kung Flu is rampant here now, we had car visitors from Michigan today. Friends of thirty years, who have gasoline in their veins. We social distanced and still had a great time. We put twenty miles on the White, comparing it to his 1918 Pierce 38. Lots of fun. We are planning a comparison of them side by side sometime next year. Should be fun.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks for taking us along on this adventure.  It was great fun!

Next...a 1932...something strange...with an interesting history...huh...?

I can't send boring cars.........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ed,

Really, thanks for the virtual ride these past couple of months. I’ve known you a while but didn’t know you were such a great story teller. You should’ve been a charter boat Captain! I’m looking forward to a real ride in the Great White in the future. 
  Plus I’m waiting to see how you portray the next mystery vehicle.

Also, I’m waiting to hear how you placated Peggy...did she ever end up with that Mercedes you were supposed to get her? 🙄

Edited by yachtflame
Miss typed words (see edit history)
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

Also, I’m waiting to hear how you placated Peggy...did she ever end up with that Mercedes you were supposed to get her?

She was only asking for a Kia, as I recall, but I think Ed owes her a Maybach.....a MODERN Maybach.....

• Haha 1

You guys are hysterical............she asked about her new car again last night.............I sold the Mercedes AMG Roadster a few weeks ago.........it’s nice only having two vehicles for everyday use down here. I will probably hold off on her car for a few more months.........I need to get the next project down here first. If a had one dollar for every view of this thread.............she could get an new Mercedes..............fortunately, she wants a car with a stick.........so it’s going to limit her choices to the lower end of the spectrum.

• Haha 1

Just a thought but the Chrysler Crossfire (2004-2009) was a great daily driver for several years. Had a great AC and is a Mercedes SLK320 under the skin. About a third had a six speed manual so pretty common. Forum is very active. Note: SRT are all automatics, for 6 speed want a Limited. Mine was an 07.

blackspoke.jpg

aftersledge.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, padgett said:

Just a thought but the Chrysler Crossfire (2004-2009) was a great daily driver for several years. Had a great AC and is a Mercedes SLK320 under the skin. About a third had a six speed manual so pretty common. Forum is very active. Note: SRT are all automatics, for 6 speed want a Limited. Mine was an 07.

blackspoke.jpg

aftersledge.JPG

Love the Red interior rather than all gray!!!

Friends arrived today. The father and son combo have a great bunch of HCCA, Nickel, and a few Classics between them.  All neat stuff. True car people. They each took a turn at driving the White. They each did between ten and twenty miles. Got lots of great feedback. It was fun to sit in the backseat and go for a ride. 

53050D4F-A8B8-4F32-8FC6-B42B79C09068.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ed, the comment you made in your last sentence really says a lot - many car owners have never ridden in the back seat of their cars that they have owned for decades while someone else is driving. I totally agree it is indeed a pleasure and great experience to do so. An experience all of us should do more often. It puts the cars we own into a totally different perspective. A whole new dimension of pleasure - look out the back window , down the hood even further back then right from the area at the dashboard, To get a total view of what the windshield , rear view mirror etc look like . This should be tried out and experienced - both in the day time and at night as well. When have many of the people reading this seen the glow of what the bulbs that light up the dashboard gauges look like? in the dark interior of the car at night it gives a whole different sensation to the experience.

• Like 10
On 12/6/2020 at 9:24 AM, Walt G said:

Ed, the comment you made in your last sentence really says a lot - many car owners have never ridden in the back seat of their cars that they have owned for decades while someone else is driving. I totally agree it is indeed a pleasure and great experience to do so. An experience all of us should do more often. It puts the cars we own into a totally different perspective. A whole new dimension of pleasure - look out the back window , down the hood even further back then right from the area at the dashboard, To get a total view of what the windshield , rear view mirror etc look like . This should be tried out and experienced - both in the day time and at night as well. When have many of the people reading this seen the glow of what the bulbs that light up the dashboard gauges look like? in the dark interior of the car at night it gives a whole different sensation to the experience.

Well said!   Beginning in 1994, before my Great Race

career ended, we found AACA Tours, like Founders, 

Sentimental, Glidden and Regional Tours.

So far, we've toured in 5 of our own cars and two of 

other peoples.   The OP's were a result of inviting other 

people to ride with us an even having them drive while

we the view from our own back seat,  then we went in

their cars.  We'll be happy when the Covid thing is history

and we all can see the USA in our Fords, Chevrolet, Buick

& VW, again.

We've toured nationally 42 times and there are plenty of

back roads yet to be seen from front and back seats.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re-position text scrambled by the format (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

SO if this is the final discussion about the White Saga then I can stop looking for anything on White cars and go back to focus on finding things about my own cars - ok, done, but hey I was reading a issue of Motor Life magazine from April 1917 this morning ( doesn't everyone(?) have a unread copy of that or Motor Print laying around?) And wouldn't you know it , more White stuff - no not snow ! ( A.J. I knew you were thinking along that line 😲) but there was a article on "Harmonizing Headlamps" ( no I didn't make that up) and here is what was shown...................

1917WHITEheadlampsCLoseup.jpg

• Like 6

Walt, can you send me a scan by email please? Thanks. 

PS- Thats a car I recognize! And one similar roadster is known.......I just dug it up...........but don't own it.....unfortunately!

The headlight set up and body design were covered in American Sientific Magazine, on the proper way to design a car........