The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

Thank you Ed.  I read every post...some more than once.  I learned more about pre-war cars from this thread than I have ever learned from books.  I look forward to coming down to meet you and the Great White when this Wu Flu crap finally runs it's course.  Regards, George

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Just so you guys who don’t personally know Mr. Minnie, he’s a great guy, considering....

Mr Minnie?

Considering?   🤭

All those terrible things you hear about me are true......especially the ones my mother talks about! 😇

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Showing respect, Ed, I’m sure there are other descriptors which would fit, but trying to be nice!

I value you as a good friend, one I would never have without our wonderful hobby.

Posts can debate money and values all day long, but if you’re not making friends in this hobby, you’d best collect some thing else, as you’re missing the point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks David! 

Although the Chinese Kung Flu is rampant here now, we had car visitors from Michigan today. Friends of thirty years, who have gasoline in their veins. We social distanced and still had a great time. We put twenty miles on the White, comparing it to his 1918 Pierce 38. Lots of fun. We are planning a comparison of them side by side sometime next year. Should be fun.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks for taking us along on this adventure.  It was great fun!

Next...a 1932...something strange...with an interesting history...huh...?

I can't send boring cars.........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ed,

Really, thanks for the virtual ride these past couple of months. I’ve known you a while but didn’t know you were such a great story teller. You should’ve been a charter boat Captain! I’m looking forward to a real ride in the Great White in the future. 
  Plus I’m waiting to see how you portray the next mystery vehicle.

Also, I’m waiting to hear how you placated Peggy...did she ever end up with that Mercedes you were supposed to get her? 🙄

Edited by yachtflame
Miss typed words (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

Also, I’m waiting to hear how you placated Peggy...did she ever end up with that Mercedes you were supposed to get her?

She was only asking for a Kia, as I recall, but I think Ed owes her a Maybach.....a MODERN Maybach.....

• Haha 1

You guys are hysterical............she asked about her new car again last night.............I sold the Mercedes AMG Roadster a few weeks ago.........it’s nice only having two vehicles for everyday use down here. I will probably hold off on her car for a few more months.........I need to get the next project down here first. If a had one dollar for every view of this thread.............she could get an new Mercedes..............fortunately, she wants a car with a stick.........so it’s going to limit her choices to the lower end of the spectrum.

• Haha 1

Just a thought but the Chrysler Crossfire (2004-2009) was a great daily driver for several years. Had a great AC and is a Mercedes SLK320 under the skin. About a third had a six speed manual so pretty common. Forum is very active. Note: SRT are all automatics, for 6 speed want a Limited. Mine was an 07.

blackspoke.jpg

aftersledge.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Just a thought but the Chrysler Crossfire (2004-2009) was a great daily driver for several years. Had a great AC and is a Mercedes SLK320 under the skin. About a third had a six speed manual so pretty common. Forum is very active. Note: SRT are all automatics, for 6 speed want a Limited. Mine was an 07.

blackspoke.jpg

aftersledge.JPG

Love the Red interior rather than all gray!!!

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

It is good that you are finished with the White so you can move on to the important car.

SEND MONEY! Quickly! 

• Haha 2

Friends arrived today. The father and son combo have a great bunch of HCCA, Nickel, and a few Classics between them.  All neat stuff. True car people. They each took a turn at driving the White. They each did between ten and twenty miles. Got lots of great feedback. It was fun to sit in the backseat and go for a ride. 

53050D4F-A8B8-4F32-8FC6-B42B79C09068.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ed, the comment you made in your last sentence really says a lot - many car owners have never ridden in the back seat of their cars that they have owned for decades while someone else is driving. I totally agree it is indeed a pleasure and great experience to do so. An experience all of us should do more often. It puts the cars we own into a totally different perspective. A whole new dimension of pleasure - look out the back window , down the hood even further back then right from the area at the dashboard, To get a total view of what the windshield , rear view mirror etc look like . This should be tried out and experienced - both in the day time and at night as well. When have many of the people reading this seen the glow of what the bulbs that light up the dashboard gauges look like? in the dark interior of the car at night it gives a whole different sensation to the experience.

• Like 9

On 12/6/2020 at 9:24 AM, Walt G said:

Ed, the comment you made in your last sentence really says a lot - many car owners have never ridden in the back seat of their cars that they have owned for decades while someone else is driving. I totally agree it is indeed a pleasure and great experience to do so. An experience all of us should do more often. It puts the cars we own into a totally different perspective. A whole new dimension of pleasure - look out the back window , down the hood even further back then right from the area at the dashboard, To get a total view of what the windshield , rear view mirror etc look like . This should be tried out and experienced - both in the day time and at night as well. When have many of the people reading this seen the glow of what the bulbs that light up the dashboard gauges look like? in the dark interior of the car at night it gives a whole different sensation to the experience.

Well said!   Beginning in 1994, before my Great Race

career ended, we found AACA Tours, like Founders, 

Sentimental, Glidden and Regional Tours.

So far, we've toured in 5 of our own cars and two of 

other peoples.   The OP's were a result of inviting other 

people to ride with us an even having them drive while

we the view from our own back seat,  then we went in

their cars.  We'll be happy when the Covid thing is history

and we all can see the USA in our Fords, Chevrolet, Buick

& VW, again.

We've toured nationally 42 times and there are plenty of

back roads yet to be seen from front and back seats.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re-position text scrambled by the format (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

SO if this is the final discussion about the White Saga then I can stop looking for anything on White cars and go back to focus on finding things about my own cars - ok, done, but hey I was reading a issue of Motor Life magazine from April 1917 this morning ( doesn't everyone(?) have a unread copy of that or Motor Print laying around?) And wouldn't you know it , more White stuff - no not snow ! ( A.J. I knew you were thinking along that line 😲) but there was a article on "Harmonizing Headlamps" ( no I didn't make that up) and here is what was shown...................

1917WHITEheadlampsCLoseup.jpg

• Like 6

Walt, can you send me a scan by email please? Thanks. 

PS- Thats a car I recognize! And one similar roadster is known.......I just dug it up...........but don't own it.....unfortunately!

The headlight set up and body design were covered in American Sientific Magazine, on the proper way to design a car........

9 hours ago, Walt G said:

SO if this is the final discussion about the White Saga then I can stop looking for anything on White cars and go back to focus on finding things about my own cars - ok, done, but hey I was reading a issue of Motor Life magazine from April 1917 this morning ( doesn't everyone(?) have a unread copy of that or Motor Print laying around?) And wouldn't you know it , more White stuff - no not snow ! ( A.J. I knew you were thinking along that line 😲) but there was a article on "Harmonizing Headlamps" ( no I didn't make that up) and here is what was shown...................

1917WHITEheadlampsCLoseup.jpg

A "White" White

• Haha 1

Well........Phil and I got back on the White service wise. The initial sorting is over.......now to the very fine tuning, where you get hours of work for little or no results. Anyway, pulled the water pump so we can trial fit the prototype water pump gear and shaft. While doing so, another issue popped up......it wasn’t pleasant. Now we will cast new impellers.......with help for lots of great people on this site. Here is what we are dealing with. Also, the shaft was not leaking....but the temporary repair had begun to fail............

C0B86E40-FF55-4CB5-9916-7AFEDFE74EFB.jpeg

9790AE8D-CF97-47CA-AAC0-AF257B68D8D5.jpeg

• Like 1

I agree...that's beyond repair. Quite a lot of the deterioration is attributable to the poor alloy they used. Of course, they used the best that was available but aluminum metallurgy was in it's infancy then although the automotive world was in love with it. Around 1917-1918 Alcoa hired Laurence Pomeroy, ex chief engineer at Vauxhall, to develop automotive aluminum alloys. He wrote a number of papers for the SAE on the value of reducing reciprocating weight and I suspect had much to do with the creation of Lynnite, the aluminum alloy used in connecting rods and pistons, but that doesn't come about for ten years after Ed's White was built.

When you make the pattern for the new one I suggest you give the hub parallel sides about 1/4" thick, rather than that tapered shape, so it can be retained with a couple of set screws rather than the pin. When that was made it's very likely that the pin hole was drilled through both parts at the same time...lining up the two holes, if the parts were drilled separately, is nearly to impossible.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks for the heads up. I will give the information to the gentlemen who is helping me with the pattern. Especially since I will end up sending you the rough casting.........of thats ok.🤔

Its been years since I have done any casting, and all my usual sources are dead, blind, or no longer working. 

• Like 2