The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

How’s the top holding up to the drives?

Hurry up down here and fix it! Whats taking so long? 😎

• Haha 1

Update:

After a LONG journey we are now street legal with the White. Took it to lunch, and back to the shop to finish up the afternoon. Then took it out for a forty mile drive.....in southern Florida rush hour traffic. Car is getting better and better with every mile........I intended to adjust the brakes. With all the use they have new settled down and seem set in.......so, we will let them be for a while and see where we end up with them. It’s quite a blast to have a new to me car that is sorted before I ever drove it. It doesn’t have any bad habits. And with each new mile, familiarity becomes more and more routine. I’m happy with low and mid range performance........Idle needs improvement, and so does the top end. I’m in no hurry to tear into it now.......I think the best medicine is drive it. Finally took it to the gas station and filed it up. Speedo cable broke today......such is life.....I’m sure it’s just the first thing in a long list that goes south in the first thousand miles. I think the new tires will come sooner than I thought.........I think I have a wheel bearing issue to deal with, as well as inspecting the friction..........overall it’s a joy to drive. Flipped open the windshield and drove along the ocean and enjoyed the salt air breeze. This thing gets tons of looks. A well known car collector pulled up next to me at a light.....he has several Model J’s. He said fantastic car...........finally XXX bought an early car. (Referring to my employer) I smiled and said........nope.....this one belongs to the help.👍 It was a fun afternoon. Best, Ed.

Last photo is Mar-A-Lago......with the big American Flag.

4E7E2159-59E9-4E6C-AB6F-BFC5A92E85CC.jpeg

082F9F61-98E8-43EB-B94D-DF0AAB962CBA.jpeg

EDD078EC-B08C-4695-8939-C3D8C5F34B84.jpeg

03752FD8-1F99-404C-885A-CB3625D866C4.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10

You provide a fun vicarious ride for all of us these last few months during some otherwise trying times. Thank you for that and I hope you enjoy that Great White for many worry free enjoyable miles and years. 
Have fun

dave s 

• Like 2

"enjoyed the salt air breeze."(shudder) part of the reason I live about as far from the ocean as you can get. Remember leaving my maroon Camaro at the cape while TDY downrange and returning to find a white car that soon needed the windows and the rust removed. Car was two years old.

15 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

You provide a fun vicarious ride for all of us these last few months during some otherwise trying times. Thank you for that and I hope you enjoy that Great White for many worry free enjoyable miles and years. 
Have fun

dave s 

We will shoot a video soon with the tablet.....better sound, better field of view. And a nice drive along the ocean. Should have it done by the weekend. Then the thread will start winding down. Ed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I smiled and said........nope.....this one belongs to the help.👍

One of my long time best friends has for most of his adult life done the kind of work you do. That is one of the reasons I have been able to hang around some of the fantastic cars and major collectors that I have been able to, and have ridden in some of the best brass era cars in the world. He too has his own small collection of very good cars. It is a lot more fun when it is yours.

Ed, a heartfelt thankyou for keeping me up every night for the past three months.  It has been a fantastic story that I have re read several times. Stay safe and away from hurricanes.  I trust that you have a safe shelter should one hit.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Ed, a heartfelt thankyou for keeping me up every night for the past three months.  It has been a fantastic story that I have re read several times. Stay safe and away from hurricanes.  I trust that you have a safe shelter should one hit.

The garage is much safer than our house........as a matter of fact, we go to the garage as a shelter in the event of any storm that is a two or higher. You can get some sleep now........the posting will slow. We will do a decent video......probably 20 minute or better. We can’t edit video, so it will be rough around the edges. But it will show it going down the road, going through the gears, ect. Looking forward to driving it now....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed, I know I speak for almost everyone on this forum when i say THANK YOU for keeping it original!!!  As you know many would have converted this into a "Trailer Queen".  I made this mistake on several cars myself including a 31 Cad V-12  with 34K original miles.  As I aged in the hobby I realized the historical value of unrestored cars that you can drive and enjoy.

• Like 9

Ed, fascinating story and a great adventure! Thank you for sharing this step by step process with the rest of us. This is the type of thing that makes for a truly interesting story for most car guys and that has been proven through the number of posts and interest that has been shown in this story. I can only dream of such an adventure but I know in my heart I am not the right guy for such a car. You are obviously the right guy. I had the pleasure of riding with Willis Abel in his Stanley Steamer a number of years ago and I was so excited I thought "WOW! how I'd love to own a machine like this!" Once again I know that I'm not the right guy.

David Coco and I have been friends for a number of years now. You and I have never met but I think I can safely say this; he called the right guy.

• Like 5

On 10/28/2020 at 1:57 PM, pkhammer said:

Ed, fascinating story and a great adventure! Thank you for sharing this step by step process with the rest of us. This is the type of thing that makes for a truly interesting story for most car guys and that has been proven through the number of posts and interest that has been shown in this story. I can only dream of such an adventure but I know in my heart I am not the right guy for such a car. You are obviously the right guy. I had the pleasure of riding with Willis Abel in his Stanley Steamer a number of years ago and I was so excited I thought "WOW! how I'd love to own a machine like this!" Once again I know that I'm not the right guy.

David Coco and I have been friends for a number of years now. You and I have never met but I think I can safely say this; he called the right guy.

The great thing bout this hobby is the friends we make. Dave C and I have had more fun, phone calls, and Pierce Arrow Society events than you can imagine. We trade information, leads, and haul parts for each other. We have done business on some parts for others also. Dave is welcome to come drive the White.........or any of my other cars......any time, any place. I find too many people uptight about sharing their cars........and letting people drive them. I have no problem letting someone WITH EXPERIENCE driving my cars on the open road, and have taught countless new people how to drive pre war cars in parking lots and private roads. Want to keep the hobby going? Share your car. Give people rides. Take the car to the grocery store. One of my favorite stories in Palm Beach is taking a Duesenberg roadster to the Publix supermarket and parking it in the small parking spots they provide. As I was climbing out of the car, a guy in a new GT-40 pulled up to me as I was walking away to go inside and asked what I was doing. I quickly said........My shift starts in three minutes........I'm bagging today, and stocking shelves tomorrow. The funniest part of the conversation......I think the guy actually thought I was a stock boy! 

The current plan is to take the White on the AACA tour in Central Florida in April. Then out to the Modoc Tour in Callifunny, then to Hershey Fall meet for the preservation class. I will post a "Go for a ride in the famous White touring car.......for a donation to the AACA building fund." Probably Tuesday of 2021. I don't want to miss any swap meet time. I am going to try and get a few of the guys here to bring cars also....maybe have a pre Hershey drive about with forum members. Lets see what evolves over the next six months.......Ed

• Like 5

It’s going to be an interesting weekend again, the Presidents Cadillac just flew in to town. My neighborhood will be locked down again. Last week I had a unmarked car in front of my house 24 hours a day for four days. Actually got locked in the bar for 40 minutes when the motorcade came by. Our traffic pattern goes to hell with all the closed roads. Looks like I won’t have the White out this weekend. Don’t forget to vote!

6B1698D0-1066-47A5-A33F-91A9F694B392.jpeg

72A75E72-5D0C-4078-BEDF-2496D7EE69DE.png

• Like 1

On the positive side.........a very nice forum member sent me a fantastic bottle of Bourbon............just for offering some help on his Cadillac. Guess I mention drinking more than I should! I went dry for twenty five years.......now I enjoy my Whisky........such is life.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

The great thing bout this hobby is the friends we make. Dave C and I have had more fun, phone calls, and Pierce Arrow Society events than you can imagine. We trade information, leads, and haul parts for each other. We have done business on some parts for others also. Dave is welcome to come drive the White.........or any of my other cars......any time, any place. I find too many people uptight about sharing their cars........and letting people drive them. I have no problem letting someone WITH EXPERIENCE driving my cars on the open road, and have taught countless new people how to drive pre war cars in parking lots and private roads. Want to keep the hobby going? Share your car. Give people rides. Take the car to the grocery store. One of my favorite stories in Palm Beach is taking a Duesenberg roadster to the Publix supermarket and parking it in the small parking spots they provide. As I was climbing out of the car, a guy in a new GT-40 pulled up to me as I was walking away to go inside and asked what I was doing. I quickly said........My shift starts in three minutes........I'm bagging today, and stocking shelves tomorrow. The funniest part of the conversation......I think the guy actually thought I was a stock boy! 

The current plan is to take the White on the AACA tour in Central Florida in April. Then out to the Modoc Tour in Callifunny, then to Hershey Fall meet for the preservation class. I will post a "Go for a ride in the famous White touring car.......for a donation to the AACA building fund." Probably Tuesday of 2021. I don't want to miss any swap meet time. I am going to try and get a few of the guys here to bring cars also....maybe have a pre Hershey drive about with forum members. Lets see what evolves over the next six months.......Ed

I usually start setting up starting around 10:00am on Tuesday but count me in for a donation to the AACA building fund for a ride!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

On the positive side.........a very nice forum member sent me a fantastic bottle of Bourbon............just for offering some help on his Cadillac. Guess I mention drinking more than I should! I went dry for twenty five years.......now I enjoy my Whisky........such is life.

It was a toss up for me, I enjoy a shot now and again but how often do you see GOOD popcorn?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JACK M said:

It was a toss up for me, I enjoy a shot now and again but how often do you see GOOD popcorn?

The Mrs. was eating it last night! Thanks!  🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Go to the ACD meet in Auburn.......best popcorn in the world........

• Like 1

Just now, yachtflame said:

At the moment, I’m enjoying the wife’s Tiramisu!

Your wife is an excellent chef.......and knowing her....it’s vegan and sugar free.......and it still tastes fantastic!

• Haha 1

Update:

Well, it’s been an interesting week chasing down history on the White. The photo I expected to show up did.....but it was a different car. That said, I now have a bunch of additional leads to call for more information. The White was in a garage with fantastic company......especially since it was purchased as a collector car in the 40’s. It shared garage space with no less than seven fantastic Bugatti’s, a Hispano, three W O Bentley’s, and two Isotta Fraschini‘s. Remember this is all in the 40’s and 50’s. A very impressive early collector with fantastic taste.......and he had the White as his only keeper over 70 years. Some of the cars are in the top collections all over the world. High praise for a gentleman buying the right stuff long before books and clubs were around. I will put a book together on the cars history, including a photo of each car in the stable......then and now. Sure would like to talk to the guy and ask why he chose this particular car..........to keep for all those decades. Took the White out tonight after work. It literally stops traffic......and people who you would never expect stop and ask questions. It all adds to the fun. It’s registered for its first private concours in two weeks.....a “COVID concours” thirty cars, and a big open area. No public........but after all the lock downs, I need to go to a show. We are in a holding pattern now with the car. I won’t work on dialing it in till I get the new pump shaft Joe P is making. We will just drive it, and keep cleaning it up for a while. It needs more miles. I will bite the bullet and order tires soon, need to figure out my tube situation.....950 bucks and the stuff isn’t right. The tire company’s are getting selfish with their greed and lack of supply. The last fifty years they made millions......and today, they are cheap, and selling sub par tires and tubes. Just excuses, sad what the world has come to. Best, Ed.

• Like 4

UPDATE:

We had guests down here in southern Florida for the first time since the Pandemic started. Longtime friend from the Pierce Arrow Society who I have known for 35 years and his new significant other half. We took them out to lunch in the White......finally fun to start sharing the car with other car people. Car is running well, and getting miles on it now. It starts, runs, and performs well. It's going to need some more attention now that we have been going down the road......so next week we will start in on it again after I give the Stearns some attention. The wife finally went for a ride in the car more than 300 feet. We put the dogs in and went for a Thursday evening drive around town.........quite an extensive drive actually. She and the dogs settled in quickly, and enjoyed themselves. The two Scotties love standing up on their rear legs with their front paws over the side of the body....they get to bark at every cat and dog as we go by....its going to be their favorite car to take rides in. Peg seems to like the early cars better.......slower speeds and higher up appeal to her. She agreed to have he photo taken next to it...........now that IS progress. 

Some unfortunate news.......with a happy ending. My trusty assistant "Phil with the hands like George The Animal Steel" had a loss in the family and he attended the services......and yup.......you guessed right...........while being extreamly careful he caught the Chinese Kung Flu.......he is in the demographic where you do NOT want to get it. I was scared shixxess he wasn't going to make it..........thankfully he came out of it and is now recovering. So please be carful people......I''m looking forward to having him back in the shop in a few weeks. 

IMG_0931.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Please give our best to Phil- we will say a prayer (not sure anyone is listening this year) for a complete recovery.  Be easy on him when he gets back as some of the effects can be very difficult to overcome.  

Great pics of your better half and the Great White.  A true mile stone with her going for that long of a ride and allowing a pic.  I know evry time my boss, sorry my wife goes for an extended ride it is a major victory. Now if she just wouldn't have that terrified look on her face I would be even happier.

dave s 

• Like 5

Saddened to hear about Phil being sick! However very pleased that the prognosis is good. Be easy on him. From what I hear about this nasty bug is that the real issues may well be the lingering aftereffects which seem to vary greatly from one person to another. I still don't personally know anyone that has had it, and hopefully it can stay that way. However it is having a resurgence around here. The numbers here have jumped up again, and officials are hinting at further lockdowns.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2020 at 3:22 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Saddened to hear about Phil being sick! However very pleased that the prognosis is good. Be easy on him. From what I hear about this nasty bug is that the real issues may well be the lingering aftereffects which seem to vary greatly from one person to another. I still don't personally know anyone that has had it, and hopefully it can stay that way. However it is having a resurgence around here. The numbers here have jumped up again, and officials are hinting at further lockdowns.

Bummer about Phil - hope he keeps doing fine.  

Yesterday, I was over at the storage building stopping in to see one of the Auburn's and the building inspector was there inspecting work going on via new roof and was quick to warn to keep project in a good place to walk away at any time over next two weeks via  possible second shut down here (last evening too Governor put in a mandatory mask order with business shut down penalties that allow unmasked in).  I get the Friday report from work (we run Covid testing and numbers for the County) - doing a little better in some ways and not others - here the death to admittance rate at hospitals is 23% and state wide is 27% (a little better than end of October).

NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. 

On 10/28/2020 at 8:05 AM, Robert G. Smits said:

Ed, I know I speak for almost everyone on this forum when i say THANK YOU for keeping it original!!!  As you know many would have converted this into a "Trailer Queen".  I made this mistake on several cars myself including a 31 Cad V-12  with 34K original miles.  As I aged in the hobby I realized the historical value of unrestored cars that you can drive and enjoy.

It is a commitment - we have a discussion going on about the driveability of Supercharded Cords (and everyone has their two cents, but those successful tend to be very handy, engineers or engineering minded, rebuild for others, or ...)  - anyway, my comment is that for all the 30's cars that we drive, Dad and I feel that it costs us on the average of about 2K extra a year for each 1K miles we put on the cars - seems small until you realize that is an extra 20K over 10 years - AND THOSE WILLING TO COMMIT THE TIME AND MONEY ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN, PLUS IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH SITTING FOR A CAR TO GET UNDEPENDABLE . 

• Like 2

This becomes a problem that slips up on you.  You can afford the next car on your list but forget how much time it takes to properly maintain a pre war car for touring and enjoyment.  After a while you realize you haven't driven a particular car for five years.  It takes time and money to bring them back.  Getting older doesn't help!!!

• Like 6

Ed, I don’t remember if this has been brought up before, but with the low production numbers for Whites, and the few survivors that are left, I’m sure knowing the whereabouts of any other 1917 Whites might be helpful/interesting. 
I was looking in a book I have “Great Car Collections of the World” by Edward Eves and Dan Burger (copyright 1986).  They list the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland Ohio and they provide a list of Cars in the collection circa 1986. Surprisingly the collection had Ten White vehicles. Most were surely Steam, but it caught my eye that one was a 1917 Town Car 16 valve 4.

No information other than that. The book is 36 years old, not sure if the museum is still in operation,  but some Ohio club members might know, and I wonder if the 1917 White is still there or what happened to it. 

79384AF2-1A29-493B-ABE7-BA2F314DD5E6.jpeg