BCA/AACA Hagerty Discount

38Buick 80C

I learned something new today. As a member of the Buick Club of America Hagerty has a premium discount on my policy. Being an AACA member provides the same discount. I called them and added that info to my policy information will be getting a refund check back...

Both clubs should mention this more to the membership or potential membership. The discount on my policy would just about cover my dues for one or both clubs (If I wasn't already a life member in both) granted I have 4 cars on the policy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I learned something new today. As a member of the Buick Club of America Hagerty has a premium discount on my policy. Being an AACA member provides the same discount. I called them and added that info to my policy information will be getting a refund check back

Sounded like a good idea.  All I get is 20 minutes of distorted music.

4 minutes ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Brian

What percentage of the policy is the discount? Or is it a flat discount?

Thanks

I didn't ask either way but if it was percentage based it was a few points.

2 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Sounded like a good idea.  All I get is 20 minutes of distorted music.

yeah sorry I should have mentioned I waited a good bit. I was doing other things while the phone was on speaker.

Well All my Canadian Buick Club Members,

I finished with the Hagerty online Chat person this morning after many hours on hold waiting on the phone for a pick up and have been told (once the chat person realised I was in Canada) that Hagerty DOES NOT offer a discount in Canada!!! 

When asked why not, the reply was that "It's due to how we are filed for certain programs and discounts in Canada with our underwriting company Aviva".

Hagerty bought out a Canadian developed Insurance Company offering Antique and Classic Car Insurance coverages at reasonable pricing called originally The Silver Wheel Plan by Tony Lant in Souffville, Ontario as he himself was an antique car owner and felt there was a need for those rates. 

There will be a further communication to Hagerty and this Aviva to see about the differences...

2 hours ago, dei said:

Well All my Canadian Buick Club Members,

I finished with the Hagerty online Chat person this morning after many hours on hold waiting on the phone for a pick up and have been told (once the chat person realised I was in Canada) that Hagerty DOES NOT offer a discount in Canada!!! 

When asked why not, the reply was that "It's due to how we are filed for certain programs and discounts in Canada with our underwriting company Aviva".

Hagerty bought out a Canadian developed Insurance Company offering Antique and Classic Car Insurance coverages at reasonable pricing called originally The Silver Wheel Plan by Tony Lant in Souffville, Ontario as he himself was an antique car owner and felt there was a need for those rates. 

There will be a further communication to Hagerty and this Aviva to see about the differences...

Don't you just love insurance companies?  I finally got through after putting the phone on speaker and the charger for over an hour (pathetic for any company).  And yes, the agent agreed that club members get a discount.  However they at first wanted to pro-rate the refund.  They gave the full refund after telling them that others got it that way.  Just about as bad as my homeowners insurance not giving the discount for a monitored alarm system because I did not ask for it!  Don't you just love insurance companies?

$25 by the way....I can drink that much beer while waiting on hold.;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Don't you just love insurance companies?  I finally got through after putting the phone on speaker and the charger for over an hour (pathetic for any company).  And yes, the agent agreed that club members get a discount.  However they at first wanted to pro-rate the refund.  They gave the full refund after telling them that others got it that way.  Just about as bad as my homeowners insurance not giving the discount for a monitored alarm system because I did not ask for it!  Don't you just love insurance companies?

Funny you should mention having a drink, I just poured one after quitting for the day to sit and check the Forums!

I agree with you 100% about any company that can"t respond in a reasonable time. Even with this virus and all, businesses are and can work from home as effectively as at at a desk in an office.

My issue is with the different standard re the discount for Canadians. Just because a US company buys out an established customer base here and calls Head Office in the US shouldn't leave the Canadian paying customers out. (whether 25 bucks or not)

Will be following this up and report back unless the Moderators feel my post needs to be deleted...

Edited by dei (see edit history)

10 hours ago, old-tank said:

I have been with Hagerty for over 20 years and have never had to wait on hold, including yesterday when I called to add the discount 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dei said:

My issue is with the different standard re the discount for Canadians. Just because a US company buys out an established customer base here and calls Head Office in the US shouldn't leave the Canadian paying customers out. (whether 25 bucks or not)

Will be following this up and report back unless the Moderators feel my post needs to be deleted...

Our respective governments fiddle around with laws and often times are never coordinated.  Further, politicians weigh in with rule changes for their need of publicity and make laws that would be to their benefit in one way or another.  The free market system, sometimes called capitalism responds to these changes.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn of some cost benefit offered by US laws that allowed Hagerty to incentivise the discount or possibly an additional cost for the insurer in Canada that disincentivises a discount.  Even within the US, various states have differing laws.  My Florida registered and insured cars have a provision for windshield replacement at no cost whereas my Georgia insurer could care less.

• Thanks 1

A little over two years ago when we had Nationwide Homeowners and Auto insurance policies, we got a letter from the AACA Headquarters stating that they had partnered with Nationwide for a member's discount.  I called Nationwide and gave them all of the information that they asked for and we received a refund check for the discount about three weeks later.  This is nothing new guys.  This has been going on far at least three years that we know of now.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• 4 weeks later...