1922 Cadillac Suburban

Well my grandfather passed away a couple weeks ago and it is time to finally get rid of the Cadillac.  He gave me his 33 Hupmobile while he was alive that I am planning to restore, but I don't have enough room for the Cadillac as well.  He completely dismantled the car 40+ years ago and pretty much never touched it again.  Everything is in the garage.  I will have more pictures of the car in it's current state when my Mom sends them to me.  The only picture I have is right before he drove it in the garage and pulled it apart to freshen it up.  My grandfather kept everything, it still has the original owners manual.  So the car is going to be going up for sale and is currently located in San Jose CA.  Currently entertaining offers but more than likely it's going on Hemmings.

Cadillac 1.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Edited by GR8WHITE (see edit history)

We're sorry to hear of anyone's passing.

Maybe we can help you with pricing, if you wish.

It sounds like you may be relatively new to the

fun of antique cars.  You may know that many

antique cars are very affordable, despite the very

optimistic asking prices you may see in some ads.

Please know that your grandfather's car will have a

very modest value in today's market.  I say this not to

dampen your spirit, but so you might sell it more readily.

---There is not a lot of interest any more for cars of that era.

The people that own them are well on in years and tend not

to be looking for another.

---Four-door sedans are less desirable than other body styles.

---Cars that are apart are difficult to sell.

One person on our forum has a couple of 1920's Cadillacs

and should be able to give you some recommendations.

I would say that, if you get a single offer, it will be in the

4 digits, and you should happily pass it on to another collector!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

We're sorry to hear of anyone's passing.

Maybe we can help you with pricing, if you wish.

It sounds like you may be relatively new to the

fun of antique cars.  You may know that many

antique cars are very affordable, despite the very

optimistic asking prices you may see in some ads.

Please know that your grandfather's car will have a

very modest value in today's market.  I say this not to

dampen your spirit, but so you might sell it more readily.

---There is not a lot of interest any more for cars of that era.

The people that own them are well on in years and tend not

to be looking for another.

---Four-door sedans are less desirable than other body styles.

---Cars that are apart are difficult to sell.

One person on our forum has a couple of 1920's Cadillacs

and should be able to give you some recommendations.

I would say that, if you get a single offer, it will be in the

4 digits, and you should happily pass it on to another collector!

Thanks for the reply John, I would love some input on where to price this car.  I know the market for these cars is not hot by any means.  My Chevelle would demand much more money than this Cadillac or my Hupmobile.  I just hope that whoever purchases it will restore it and enjoy it.  There is also a 1969 Triumph TR6 that will need to be put to auction as well but that is another story.

John is 100 percent correct..........and the number probably won't be on the high end of four digits. 

Sometimes the best thing you can do is put the car on Ebay with a 500 starting price and let it run no reserve. On top of a hard sell....you need to find someone who has a truck and trailer.....which is not very common anymore. I wold post it for sale on the Cadillac Club site, as well as CCCA and here also. Maybe Bring a trailer is better than ebay........I'm not sure. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, old car fan said:

Pictures would help on the sale.I personally love the 20s cars,sedan or not...

I am at the mercy of my Mother taking picures for me, but the car is about 350 miles away from me.  I am trying.

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

How much apart is it? Does the body look more or less like it does in the photo? Is the interior in it? Any usable interior? 

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

It is completely disassembled.  I believe the last time I saw it the body is on jack stands with nothing inside.

Be prepared that when you sell the car, the new owner may want to leave the body behind. I have made arrangements in the past for a dumpster when we buy a parts car. We let the seller know ahead of time we will be cherry picking the car, and cutting the body up with a saws all , the mechanical parts will have some value, the body is almost worthless. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Be prepared that when you sell the car, the new owner may want to leave the body behind. I have made arrangements in the past for a dumpster when we buy a parts car. We let the seller know ahead of time we will be cherry picking the car, and cutting the body up with a saws all , the mechanical parts will have some value, the body is almost worthless. 

I don't want to sell to someone that will toss it in the dumpster.  I'll piss the wife off and store it in the garage before I do that lol.

• Like 4

Photos of the car in its current state will answer most questions and allow us to give you a better idea of what it might be worth. That photo of an assembled car is not an accurate representation of what it is today or even what it could be if you put it back together. Have your mom go out there with her cell phone and just take some quick photos with the lights on and the garage door wide open so we can see what it looks like now--you'll get much better feedback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

How much wood is in this car?

All of it.........IE - It's all wood.

48 minutes ago, GR8WHITE said:

Mom just shot me a couple pics she snapped.  Still working on getting a lot more pics.

Cadillac2.jpg

Cadillac 3.jpg

Cadillac 4.jpg

Cadillac 5.jpg

Cadillac 6.jpg

Much better than I expected............but unfortunately no additional value. Overall seeing what you have from limited photos, at least someone will want it..........at what price is the question. When you are ready to list it.....lots of photos of everything you can find is important. 80 percent of the value is in 5 percent of the parts.......the more detailed photos you can post, the more interest and financial return will occur. Best of luck with the sale. Ed

• Like 3

Yes, I was asking how much wood is the car made of originally and, now that you mention it, how much wood is left and is any of it usable, or does it need a complete wood kit?

Thanks again, Greg

(by the way, love the green!)

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, GR8WHITE said:

I don't want to sell to someone that will toss it in the dumpster.  I'll piss the wife off and store it in the garage before I do that lol.

You know, if you were to adopt it and put it back on the road, it would be a wonderful tribute and connection to your grandfather. 

We will all tell you what a great hobby this is. 

• Like 1

Just for a comparison, there’s a much more desirable 1930 on eBay with the kind of pictures that everyone is looking for. Sadly I don’t think anyone would be bidding even at its price point which is far far less than it would have been 10-15 years ago. This kind of project is what seems to be coming out of the woodwork now as their value even restored is tanking. 

If you have the means to reassemble it, I don’t think you would regret the fun you would have, but your investment would most likely never be returned. I, for one, love these old beasts but already have my white elephant in the garage.

Good luck which ever way you go.

37 minutes ago, m-mman said:

You know, if you were to adopt it and put it back on the road, it would be a wonderful tribute and connection to your grandfather. 

We will all tell you what a great hobby this is. 

Well two years ago while my grandfather was still alive he gave me the 33 Hupmobile.  That is my next project after finishing my 70 Chevelle drag car.  This is the car right after I brought it home.

Hup 3.jpg

Hup 2.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

Yes, I was asking how much wood is the car made of originally and, now that you mention it, how much wood is left and is any of it usable, or does it need a complete wood kit?

Thanks again, Greg

(by the way, love the green!)

I honestly don't think it needs much of anything.  The body is completely intact and in great condition.  In northern CA where it is located the weather is great with the perfect amount of humidity.  My Hup was in storage for almost 40 years and is in great shape.

There is an original condition, driving ready to go 1925 Suburban in the Cad/LaSalle Club " Self-Starter" this month in Boise ,Idaho for $19,900 or best offer. Well maintained, nice in and out.  New tires.  Not mine, but I like these cars. Too far away from New England for interest though. I can see with the drag car and the Hupp that is a plateful , too bad you can't keep it and just reassemble and spruce up the mechanics as needed.   Jim43

39 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Has the engine been torn down too?

It was driven in and pulled apart. My grandfather never got that far. At least that’s what I remember since I was just a polliwog when he tore it down.

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

If someone shows up with more than $2000, TAKE IT.

This does not help you much but I would love to take on the reassembling of this car. I would love to own it.  It saddens me that worthwhile projects like this Cadillac will struggle to find a younger new owner while cars from the 70s on or worse yet - someone just buys a new Challenger or Camaro - get restored. 

I don’t care if it’s a closed car from the 20s, it’s an awesome 20s Cadillac!   

Good luck with your sale, would be great to find that buyer willing to take on a project like that.  Great Hupp.  69, BTW was first year for the TR-6.  Great cars with a strong following, if its solid selling it shouldn't be too hard.

I don,t see why people say this should go in a dumpster . I have put worse ones then this back on the road . When things like this is said it hurts the hobby . there are people coming in the hobby that could start with this and learn . Some where not hand this hobby but had to learn along the way . Kings32

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kings32 said:

I don,t see why people say this should go in a dumpster . I have put worse ones then this back on the road . When things like this is said it hurts the hobby . there are people coming in the hobby that could start with this and learn . Some where not hand this hobby but had to learn along the way . Kings32

Wasn't implying it should be trashed....the reality is that the parts dealers won't want any body or tin.........they usually will just take hard parts. Can it go back together? Maybe, if it's all there......apart forty years........wouldn't bet on it. A turn key driver is 15k, why spend five years and 20k assembling the car......it is what it is..........

Nice car and unfortunately appears to be one of those cars that probably should not have been taken apart and should have been dealt with just doing the minimum to keep it on the road - but given the time period it was taken apart it was all the rage to restore these cars.  Looks solid, but it really is apart and very much a grouping of boat anchors (aka all that will be very difficult for someone to move and they have to do it themselves as a shipping/transport company will not deal with that).  I would say 5K or 6K tippy tops given how GREAT it looks in person (and hopefully no wood rot in the body construction)

Sidenote:   If there is an unrestored engine or a disassembled engine then not so good as to price other than as to completness of the car - but, if there is a "restored" engine (even if just a long block or possibly even short block" sitting on a stand somewhere ready to go in, then car is worth considerably more money as it is hard to rebuild one of these for under 10K (albeit disassembled cars are a still  bear and a half to relocate/transport).   I noticed the frame looks like someone painted it black already (fully painted and/or well done painted is probably a whole other story to consider).