Misc humor and interesting videos

2 hours ago, George Cole said:

NOT FUNNY!  :)  You'd think as a car club, we'd be able to do something to stop this insane invasion disruption of our lives.  Multi-billion-dollar class action lawsuit to put them out of business, and as a warning to others, perhaps?  Any lawyers out there who are also fed up with their calls?

The biggest problem is the “them”, in putting them out of business. They are scammers from outside of the U.S. in most cases. The countries they are from won’t crack down on them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Doozer said:

The biggest problem is the “them”, in putting them out of business. They are scammers from outside of the U.S. in most cases. The countries they are from won’t crack down on them. 

Isn't that why we have drones and ground hugging missiles to make surgical strikes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 5:12 AM, George Cole said:

NOT FUNNY!  :)  You'd think as a car club, we'd be able to do something to stop this insane invasion disruption of our lives.  Multi-billion-dollar class action lawsuit to put them out of business, and as a warning to others, perhaps?  Any lawyers out there who are also fed up with their calls?

I talk to them and start asking very personal and awkward questions, you get taking of their list really quickly. 

Or there's a problem with your social security number, and Im here to fix it for you. What's your name sir? Well you called me, why dont you tell me what my name is?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bdc said:

I talk to them and start asking very personal and awkward questions, you get taking of their list really quickly. 

Or there's a problem with your social security number, and Im here to fix it for you. What's your name sir? Well you called me, why dont you tell me what my name is?

I've already tried that.  I've tried every approach I can think of including being polite, rude, disrespectful, rude, vulgar, official, etc.  They keep calling and calling and calling.  Every time they call I block their number.  Next time they call from a different one.  I've probably got 100 of their numbers blocked and the calls keep coming with almost the same verbage.  "We've been trying to reach you regarding your warranty about to expire."  The kicker is I sold the car they're calling about years ago.  But their calls are never ending.

51 minutes ago, George Cole said:

I've already tried that.  I've tried every approach I can think of including being polite, rude, disrespectful, rude, vulgar, official, etc.  They keep calling and calling and calling.  Every time they call I block their number.  Next time they call from a different one.  I've probably got 100 of their numbers blocked and the calls keep coming with almost the same verbage.  "We've been trying to reach you regarding your warranty about to expire."  The kicker is I sold the car they're calling about years ago.  But their calls are never ending.

We ported our old Ma Bell "land line" to a Voice Over IP (VoIP) provider many years ago. Our VoIP provider has a setup where you can apply rules on how to handle incoming calls. To simplify the explanation, if you are not in our address book then you will get to a rule called a "telemarketer block". The telemarketer block plays a short recording of the form "press N to continue" where N is a random digit (0 through 9). If you don't press the correct digit in a reasonable amount of time the call does not go through. Result: Robocalls almost never make it far enough to ring our house phone. I usually only know they happened when I look at the monthly activity report and see a bunch of blocked calls.

Unfortunately our cell phone carrier doesn't have as nice a setup. So I just set my cellphone to send unknown callers to voice mail. So I do get a few voice mails about refinancing our nonexistent loans, etc on the cellphone. But they are pretty easy to delete without listening to more than a couple of seconds of the pitch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is this an American thing?  I have bought a new car every two or three years over the past thirty years and I have never had this type of call on my cell or land line.  I guess the 'do not call' list works better in Canada.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gangster said:

Is this an American thing?  I have bought a new car every two or three years over the past thirty years and I have never had this type of call on my cell or land line.  I guess the 'do not call' list works better in Canada.

i get 12-15 spam calls a day to my cell phone. It’s set to just send calls from numbers not in my address book to voicemail. They are for warranty deals, home refinance, weight loss, etc.  Tons of calls. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 4:27 PM, George Cole said:

George, I keep a little plastic whistle in my pocket for this very reason. I will accept calls of which numbers I do not know. After using my standard greeting "hello" I give them about 5 seconds to say something. At which time I lay into my whistle as hard and as long as the caller wants to stay on the line. Usually not long). Then even if they do call back on another number, after a long blast, I'm usually taken from their call list. Remember, they are working in alarge call center and they have to wear headphones so they can hear you.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 5:00 PM, Morgansdad said:

George, I keep a little plastic whistle in my pocket for this very reason. I will accept calls of which numbers I do not know. After using my standard greeting "hello" I give them about 5 seconds to say something. At which time I lay into my whistle as hard and as long as the caller wants to stay on the line. Usually not long). Then even if they do call back on another number, after a long blast, I'm usually taken from their call list. Remember, they are working in alarge call center and they have to wear headphones so they can hear you.

I use a hand Klaxon horn. Works great !.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Valentine's Day Scam !!!!

Just wanted to warn all my friends out there of a scam going on. I was looking online to buy some flowers and candy for my girlfriend and I received several boxes of Corvette parts instead ! On the good side, all of the parts will fit my car !  You may not be so lucky. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Jim Bollman said:

Bet you guys can come up with a good caption for this one.

oops.jpeg

Did grandpa sneak his barrels of Slivovitz back into the bedroom closet?

It is looking like Lucy and her rocks in the Long, Long Trailer