Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I can't even begin to guess the number.  

Which means you you and I together can't even buy the wheels.........never mind the car.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, md murray said:

Wow look at that positive camber on the rear wheel; it's the same on the other Austro Daimler picture you posted. This must have made for some nice, tight handling?

If you ever jack up a 540k and then put it down on the ground you get some big time camber on the real wheels.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

If you ever jack up a 540k and then put it down on the ground you get some big time camber on the real wheels.

One very seldom jacks up a 540K, as your usually too busy trying to get it dialed in...........twenty hours work for a twenty minute ride......in most cases. Is there anyone who actually drives a 540K for something like “regular” miles on a tour or road rally? Is so, I have never seen it in 45 years of doing pre war car activities. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of original old photos,  I do however have lots of old original brochures and thanks to a nice lady in TX I recently bought her late husbands collection from have some more unusual older brochures i can contribute images from. 

I did mention to her that while she was cleaning out to move,  that if she ran across any old car photos,  I would be interested in buying them.  Lets hope she comes up with something. 

What isn't from factory dealer brochures is from some period auto show souvenir programs.

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1c26.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c28.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c29.jpeg

• Like 2

Another swing-axle equipped Austrian, in fact the 1,6 Litre Steyr XII came a year earlier than Austro-Daimler's ADR. There was also the Austro-Fiat 1001 with no resemblance to anything from the mother company in Turin, but the chassis was mainly used for vans and light trucks.

This XII from 1926 has a German coachwork by Jos. Neuss, Berlin. It pre-dated the more familiar three-seater Convertible version in the factory catalogue, shown bellow.

1592930801425_Steyr Neuss (3).jpg

D'yrsan (3).JPG

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Pretty ugly , with the enclosed wheel arches , reminds me of a woodlice 

As I said, R-R was in need orders for brand new postwar cars...………...BADLY!!!

With the war over and no more call for Merlin engines to produce, plus a skilled workforce that was desperate would have been in the employment line, had the company shut their doors.  Therefore, they were more or less forced to take on the work, despite it breaking with Rolls-Royce tradition with the upright grille, etc.

Fast forward 19 years later when the company and the economy got healthier again, they could turn down work that 'didn't fit the R-R mould'.  This including John Lennon's Phantom V where Rolls-Royce agreed to only supply it in black, and he was 'on his own' to have it custom painted in psychedelic colors it is at present.

Craig

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

One very seldom jacks up a 540K, as your usually too busy trying to get it dialed in...........twenty hours work for a twenty minute ride......in most cases. Is there anyone who actually drives a 540K for something like “regular” miles on a tour or road rally? Is so, I have never seen it in 45 years of doing pre war car activities. 

That is because you can't see past the Pierce Arrows in your way.    Up in front of the pack Ziggy Linke would regularly running one of his 540k on Caravans.   In the last 10 years a 540K Cab A has run the Colorado Grande.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

That is because you can't see past the Pierce Arrows in your way.    Up in front of the pack Ziggy Linke would regularly running one of his 540k on Caravans.   In the last 10 years a 540K Cab A has run the Colorado Grande.

My Pierce is NEVER in anyone’s way...........as the only thing in front of it on the last tour was Model J. As we say at the PAS............our cars eat Cadillac’s and sxxt Packard’s. Maybe we should buy you a rollback so you can bring your Reo or Stutz on a tour. That way you will have room for luggage and a better than average chance at arriving at the hotel on time. And the way you read the tour book, don’t forget you Garmin so you can find the hotel. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

In the photo 30DodgePanel posted just above, looks like a crowded car show? Probably setting up or closing down. Right behind the "Metropolitan Motors" sign, is a Chandler. One can tell from the distinctive rear window. Not all, but some Chandlers had that window from the late '10s till about the mid '20s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Not all, but some Chandlers had that window from the late '10s till about the mid '20s.

I remember an interesting article from the February, 1974 issue of Car Classics magazine, called "Christmas in a Chandler".  It was a young boy's account of his family driving from the farm into the big city to do their annual Xmas shopping, having to start the car, pour water into the radiator (before antifreeze was the norm), letting it warm up, etc., for an hour before setting out for the journey; unlike today.  And then the 'fun' of travelling through the snow that was never plowed, only tracked down with horses and other vehicles, with deep ruts, and having the side curtains in their touring car lowered.  The author made mention of that dogbone shaped rear window their family's Chandler had.

Craig

• Like 1