Period images to relieve some of the stress

20 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

A Hupp oddity

They were just old cars - images of the era - Page 3 - General ...

Looks like a police officer driving and is probably a bullet proof shield over the radiator. There is a gun port in the windshield, too.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

San Francisco, 1924. "Flint roadster at golf course" is the latest entrant in the Shorpy Concours of Superannuated Conveyances. See you at the 19th Hole! 6½ x 8½ glass negative, originally from the Wyland Stanley collection. 

Flossy Flint: 1924 | Shorpy Old Photos | Poster Art

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Austin Clark owned that Pierce Arrow with the three spares at the back, think it was 1957 that there was another Anglo American rally ( one was in England one was in the USA)

I rode in that P-A Austin had it was a model 66. huge long chassis with a pair of bucket seats and a mother in law seat at the rear.
The weight of those three rear spare tires would break the rear tires loose from the road as you rounded corners at a speed that was a little to much ( or a lot to much) for some reason in my head I have the name Pansy Griscom as the original owner. Austin and I would take that Pierce 66 out for a drive on occasion ( but not to much , he preferred the type 35 Mercer raceabout or his Simplex speed car.) when I was out in Southampton at his L.I. Auto Museum.  And yes it did break the rear wheels loose if we went around a corner to fast, especially on a dirt road. After we did that we usually wound up at John Ducks restaurant to pour some adult beverage down our throats that was made in Scotland . Doing that did eventually get the blood back into my hands, more specifically my knuckles  that turned albino white as I clung on to the P-A as we went around the corners. I didn't make that story up . Lots of adventures with my friend HAC Jr. , most that would have all of you shaking your head .................

Walt

31 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

This is a rare Peerless Model Eight-125, the self-same model Ed saw when it was at Boca Raton/The Elegance/Amelia Island/or St.John's Concours d'Elegance. A maroon one restored by The Creative Workshop in Florida. Thank you for posting it. One-year-only, first Peerless with a straight eight.

Here is the best rendition of the Peerless newspaper announcement I could achieve:

The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Mar_23__1930_Peerless Custom Eight a.jpg

Hartford_Courant_Sun__Jan_19__1930_Peerless Custom Eight a.jpg

Hartford_Courant_Sun__Jan_19__1930_Peerless Custom Eight b.jpg

Hartford_Courant_Sun__Jan_19__1930_Peerless Custom Eight c.jpg

Hartford_Courant_Sun__Jan_19__1930_Peerless Custom Eight d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, John_Mereness said:

Is was on Coachbuilt.com on the Alex Tremulis page 

Alex Tremulis, Alex S. Tremulis, Tucker designer, car designer ...

that makes sense. Most of Alex’s stuff doesn’t do it for me.

• Like 1

For some color - Patty at Imbued With Hues (to all the ACD lovers - lets really dig into our photo collection - our yearly meet was unfortunately just can cancelled with formal notice going out on Facebook about an hour ago)

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, car and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, car, tree and outdoor

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, alsancle said:

that makes sense. Most of Alex’s stuff doesn’t do it for me.

Looks like a limousine verses a commercial car.  And photo does look ancient given people in background.  I would like to see it today, could be better looking than I think or at least really interesting, or ....  Anyone have a better photo of this even if taken from an old ACD publication - if you do not have access to a scanner, I have been using my phone and then emailing or sending to Facebook to do a cut and paste to this AACA page.

28 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I wonder how many of those they made with that grille?

Craig

35_Cord.jpg

The made at least one sedan (perhaps a few more), a LeBaron Convertible Sedan, and a LeBaron Convertible Coupe (the Convertible Coupe survives and is being restored currently - below is a photo).   I have never seen a photo of the leBaron Convertible Coupe as a new automobile. 

1937 LeBaron Baby Duesenberg bodywork - YouTube

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Looks like a limousine verses a commercial car.  And photo does look ancient given people in background.  I would like to see it today, could be better looking than I think or at least really interesting, or ....  Anyone have a better photo of this even if taken from an old ACD publication - if you do not have access to a scanner, I have been using my phone and then emailing or sending to Facebook to do a cut and paste to this AACA page.

Unless I'm mistaking it for a different car, it was a one-off, and there was a photograph in the former Special Interest Autos magazine, under their "Lost and Found" section.  As I recall, it got changed to a standard Beverly sedan before being sold off.

Craig

We lived in a different time that will never be repeated.  A barbeque sandwich for 15 cents, curb side service.

According to an online inflation calculator, fifteen cents in 1950 equates to $1.60 in 2020.  Hard to believe.  You can’t get a cheap drive-through restaurant's see-through hamburger for a $1.60. 

EJdqUYgXUAAcfda.jpg

13 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

The made at least one sedan (perhaps a few more), a LeBaron Convertible Sedan, and a LeBaron Convertible Coupe (the Convertible Coupe survives and is being restored currently - below is a photo).   I have never seen a photo of the leBaron Convertible Coupe as a new automobile. 

1937 LeBaron Baby Duesenberg bodywork - YouTube

The earliest ones I have seen are the "as found" pictures from the 60s.   Somebody (me) conveniently posted them to coachbuild.com

https://www.coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=257&t=4606

https://www.coachbuild.com/forum/download/file.php?id=24270&mode=view

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Unless I'm mistaking it for a different car, it was a one-off, and there was a photograph in the former Special Interest Autos magazine, under their "Lost and Found" section.  As I recall, it got changed to a standard Beverly sedan before being sold off.

Craig

That thing is about as ugly as a car can be (that is my politically correct public internet version of my opinion)  but if it was converted back to a garden variety Beverly that is a shame.

It looks like it has even more extra louvers than the typical long wheelbase Beverly.  If that is true it would be hard to put it back.

43 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Like I said before.  Alex's stuff doesn't do it for me.

Virgil Exner's later designs got out of hand as well.

Craig

• Like 2
  • Steve Moskowitz changed the title to Period Images to Relieve some of the Stresshttps://forums.aaca.org/topic/341211-period-images-to-relieve-some-of-the-stress/
  • gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress