Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

32 or 33 President?

It was posted on a facebook page with the caption - 1933 Studebaker President Speedway State coupe.

Total production of the Speedway Presidents was 657, of which about ten are know to survive. I did have a list of those survivors on file, and there is apparently one surviving coupe.  I guess not a lot of coupes were built.

• Like 1

WOW guys it just keeps getting better and better! thanks everyone. Lots of really great and odd stuff. I love odd! ( how did you guess that?)

All of these photographs and images are making you think just how wonderful just about all of the designs were of that era. AND it was all done with a pencil on paper - nothing computer generated.

A slide rule was the computer of that generation( who here has to look up what a slide rule is?)  In the early 1960s as a teenager when I was at a Franklin Club trek ( their name for the annual meet) I remember seeing Carl Doman ( he was an engineer for the Franklin Company) figure out what would be a decent tip for the staff of a country club where we had lunch on his slide rule he kept in his pocket. Never forgot that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It looks like the Delahaye post war grill.

Nope.........not French, either body of chassis..........guess again.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

If not Saoutchik, possibly Figoni & Falaschi.  Who else did over-the-top, lavishly flamboyant as prefectly as these custom houses? 

Or Henri Labourdette.  He was a fan of hideaway headlights.

Craig

Think Peroni and Lemon cello..........Ciao! 😝

By the way, I’m not at work, so I can ID the car, but the builder will need to wait till tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

1940 Alfa-Romeo 2500 by De Mola of Belgium!   I knew I'd seen this hideous beast before!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......or designer.  That said, it would be a Pebble contender today. I believe the car is still in someone’s garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......or designer.  That said, it would be a Pebble contender today. I believe the car is still in someone’s garage.

True, More likely in the eye of the person writing the checks...   

1 hour ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Only a Pierce Arrow Travelodge would be considered a “tin can” trailer. They were the only ones that didn’t have soft canvas sides with dope on them. The term comes from all the tin can food stuff left in the trailer parks. The actual association had a hood mascot that was a open lid tin can. The club still exists today, and has a yearly meet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Wanna guess his net worth if he owns a car like that? It is how we say....... not a starter type collector car. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Wanna guess his net worth if he owns a car like that? It is how we say....... not a starter type collector car. 

Mega-bucks for sure, ownership contains it own punishment, he has to look at it...

• Haha 1

The White bus was in Hempstead, long island, N.Y. when it was in an accident ( note the mangled rear fender well , dent in the body at the front and missing front bumper end. Left front tire tread is smooth, no tre

Unknown make of truck as the shell is hidden by the radiator guard BUT I can date it to 1925-26, that was done by looking in the showroom window behind that was selling Franklin cars and on the wall in the showroom is a framed photo - that same framed photo I have an original copy of in my collection and shows a series 11 Franklin town car. Ya have to be observant and know to look for all the clues!

WhiteBUShempstead001.jpg

TRUCK1925001.jpg

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

In postwar Britain, the one who wrote the check got what he wanted:  

47_R-R-n.g..jpg

Rolls-Royce didn't care for Nubar Gilbenkian's taste, either, but at the time, most British industries were beggars, not choosers immediately after the war.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Haven't search to see if this one made it to these pages or not. It was posted on a facebook page with the caption - Greta Garbo in her 1929 Rolls-Royce.

As far as I can work out it is a 1928 Reo Flying Cloud. I note it has Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels which the regular Reos did not use.

Image may contain: 1 person, car and outdoor

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Yow, I can't unsee this.  It makes a '50 Nash potato bug look better.

47 Rolls-Royce.jpg

I agree.....I sure wish I could unsee it........and wipe it from my memory. 

My eyes! My eyes! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Steve Moskowitz changed the title to Period Images to Relieve some of the Stresshttps://forums.aaca.org/topic/341211-period-images-to-relieve-some-of-the-stress/
1 minute ago, alsancle said:

This supposedly exists and is for sale.  Someone needs to get Ed a fishing rod so he can find his wallet.

Austro-Daimler-635-Sport-Bergmeister.jpg

I was planning to get a loan from you............guess this car is out of the question.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 8E45E said:

In postwar Britain, the one who wrote the check got what he wanted:  

47_R-R-n.g..jpg

Rolls-Royce didn't care for Nubar Gilbenkian's taste, either, but at the time, most British industries were beggars, not choosers immediately after the war.

Craig

Pretty ugly , with the enclosed wheel arches , reminds me of a woodlice