Period images to relieve some of the stress

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

The earliest ones I have seen are the "as found" pictures from the 60s.   Somebody (me) conveniently posted them to coachbuild.com

https://www.coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=257&t=4606

https://www.coachbuild.com/forum/download/file.php?id=24270&mode=view

Thanks for posting the photos.  There may be photos out there of it as a "Duesenberg."  For those not aware, I believe LeBaron bodied or LeBaron designed and are Cord powered (albeit not sure what if any modifications exist to the Cord power plant).  If I recall too they have a frame under them (aka they are not unibody like a Cord).  I think there are a lot of people have it in their mindset that it is more a 3rd generation Duesenberg (Model A, Model J, and Model ....) or something along those lines, though in reality I would consider it more of a coachbuilt Cord (ex. you see Cord moving toward larger cars - Custom Beverly and the 1938 prototype Phaeton built using the Custom Beverly principals), though at the same period of time they probably were looking for a replacement for the Duesenberg - that said though I am sure there is enough history to argue either side of the fence as to what these custom bodied cars are.

So what we need is:

More sedan photos (sidnote: the maroon car is well documented as having stayed in the Cord family until eventually owned by Willian Harrah)

Convertible sedan photos in hands of first owner or later

Convertible Coupe Photos as a new car

image.jpeg.5698a40967cfca58043cde5428a522bc.jpeg                                       X                                                 =    image.jpeg.3a5097a157a4b4d84923252dc1c2d290.jpeg

X                                                                                 X                                                  =                                  X

image.jpeg.6b25d0d0155d9c6714181493e73a76bc.jpeg                                       X                                            =                                  X

X                                                      1937 LeBaron Baby Duesenberg - YouTube             =        Image may contain: car

Alex Tremulis, Alex S. Tremulis, Tucker designer, car designer ...            X                                          =                              X

Alex Tremulis, Alex S. Tremulis, Tucker designer, car designer ...              X                                         =                             X

This should be the above car

Alex Tremulis, Alex S. Tremulis, Tucker designer, car designer ...

oo1938_cord_leb_limo_3.jpg

Sidneote:  there are some styling exercises as well, but not sure they ever were built as anything more than that: http://www.coachbuilt.com/des/t/tremulis/tremulis.htm

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
8 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Thanks for posting the photos.  There may be photos out there of it as a "Duesenberg."  For those not aware, I believe LeBaron bodied or LeBaron designed and are Cord powered (albeit not sure what if any modifications exist to the Cord power plant).  If I recall too they have a frame under them (aka they are not unibody like a Cord).  I think there are a lot of people have it in their mindset that it is more a 3rd generation Duesenberg (Model A, Model J, and Model ....) or something along those lines, though in reality I would consider it more of a coachbuilt Cord (ex. you see Cord moving toward larger cars - Custom Beverly and the 1938 prototype Phaeton built using the Custom Beverly principals), though at the same period of time they probably were looking for a replacement for the Duesenberg - that said though I am sure there is enough history to argue either side of the fence as to what these custom bodied cars are.

So what we need is:

More sedan photos (sidnote: the maroon car is well documented as having stayed in the Cord family until eventually owned by Willian Harrah)

Convertible sedan photos in hands of first owner or later

Convertible Coupe Photos as a new car

When Dr Baeke was selling the Lebaron coupe he was referring to it as a Duesenberg.   Given the Cord underpinnings,  I agree with you that coachbuilt Cord seems more appropriate.

I realize they may not be the greatest looking cars,  but I find them very interesting.    Please tell me they didn't paint the restored coupe red?

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Please tell me they didn't paint the restored coupe red?

Red like a fire engine and Goodyear ribbed whitewalls too.  

My assumption though is they painted it what it was new (just depends on the owner) - though given it stands a strong chance of going across the podium at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance as a class winner, I am sure we will see and hear all about it at some point. 

This is attributed at the 1938 Cord 814 Prototype - it's body construction is based on the Custom Beverly platform (it is taller in the lower sills, grill, and probably hood), as well as having a slightly slanted grill and a more clean transmission cover)

New                                            In Wild                                                              Today

X                                                X                     =  image.jpeg.fb27d6e0303d272d4268324008d92987.jpeg   image.jpeg.b229cc49f53409c8dff52a6ea64112de.jpeg

And this is attributed to the Cord E! prototype and supposedly there where two built - I have never seen a photo of it as a new car.  

It is Auburn V-12 powered.  It is a MASSIVE car.

New                                            In Wild                                                              Today

X                                                X                                         =   1932 Cord E-1 Prototype | Return visit to the Auburn Cord Du… | FlickrAuburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum | 2019 Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Here is a photo of the body upon discovery.  The fenders were found on another Cord, the grill found (perhaps 2) and the V-12 engine was found in the powerplant. 

The Prototype V-12 Cord Finds Its Way Back Home to Indiana | The ...  SIA-RealLostCord_04_1000-150x150.jpg  SIA-RealLostCord_04_1000_3-150x150.jpg

19 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

This is attributed at the 1938 Cord 814 Prototype - it's body construction is based on the Custom Beverly platform (it is taller in the lower sills, grill, and probably hood), as well as having a slightly slanted grill and a more clean transmission cover)

image.jpeg.fb27d6e0303d272d4268324008d92987.jpeg   image.jpeg.b229cc49f53409c8dff52a6ea64112de.jpeg

I'll toss back your Lebaron coupe question to you.   Period pictures?

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I'll toss back your Lebaron coupe question to you.   Period pictures?

Well, the 814 Prototype made it this far - must be some sort of photos of it along the way, but then again they could go largely unnoticed as it still is pretty close to a standard Cord "Sportman" and you would have to look closely to see differences. 

6 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Well, it made it this far - must be some sort of photos of it along the way, but then again they could go largely unnoticed as it still is pretty close to a standard cord "sportman" and you would have to look closely to see differences. 

It has the extra louver,  so I assume it is taller like a long wheelbase Beverly?

33 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Help me out.  Not one of the 3 Murphy's.

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - LeBaron Cord

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - LeBaron Cord

Deco Diva Town Cars – 1917-1948 | Automobile companies, Automotive ...

As a sidenote:  There are motion picture film that briefly features this car out in Los Angeles circa 1938 = a "Mystery Studios" film called "Double Danger" staring Preston Foster, Whitney Bourne, plus Donald Meek and Samuel S. Hinds.   The car appears in the film as a delivery vehicle for a high end Jewelry store (the rear door window is blanked out with the company logo in the window).  In film it has lost it luggage trunk, though now sports Lyon two piece metal spare tire covers and a double pilot ray, as well as double whitewalls.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is an interesting photo as the car appears to be a Auburn V-12 Salon Cabriolet (probably 1933) and has optional disk wheels (which are plated), though what is interesting is the car does not have the chrome trim on the fender edges that is attributed to a Salon car (perhaps painted, perhaps an optical illusion from photography, or perhaps an odd duck).  The grill is an example of early customization.  And, the filling station is great too.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

• Steve Moskowitz changed the title to Period Images to Relieve some of the Stresshttps://forums.aaca.org/topic/341211-period-images-to-relieve-some-of-the-stress/
  • gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress