Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

That's a 1934 "production" Silver Arrow like mine.  Do you have any more photos of it "in the white"?

I thought the silver arrow was a very limited production show/concept vehicle. May be thinking of another, either way they are both beautiful.

31 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

thought the silver arrow was a very limited production show/concept vehicle. May be thinking of another, either way they are both beautiful.

The Silver Arrow "halo car" was built in five copies in 1933 only; three survive.  These were 4-door sedans on a 139" wheelbase powered by V-12 engines, and shared no sheet metal with any production Pierce-Arrow.  Price was reportedly $10,000 each.

In 1934 and 1935, Pierce produced a total of about 50 (at least 43 in 1934, at least 5 in 1935) 2-door sedans called "Silver Arrow coupes" which shared other 1934 Pierce front clips, and lacked the slab sides and other features of the halo cars.  These were on a 144" wheelbase and were available as either 8-cyl (base price $3,495) or 12-cyl ($3,895).  Today (and for the last half of the last century) the 1934-35 "coupes" are called "production" Silver Arrows to distinguish them from the very remarkable halo cars.  About 12 of the production SAs are known by the Pierce-Arrow Society to have survived.  I'm pretty sure that mine is the only one that comes out to play frequently--I've put 17,000 miles on it since acquiring it in 2006.

Edited by Grimy (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

West, I noticed the fender skirt against the wall in your first photo, and the second showing the skirt installed confirms my belief that this car is body number Y-7, an 8-cylinder car that was beautifully restored by Wes C. in Canada about 1988, but has been sent to auction a dozen or more times since the late 1990s.  Unfortunately, the unconscionably bland colors chosen for the restoration were two shades of pale gray; I don't know if the red-orange wheels were done at the time or if they were a later attempt to spice up the car's appearance.

I'm truly sorry -- no, make that aghast -- to see a V-8 mockup block in the engine compartment.  Aaarrgghhh!  The car weighs about 5,400 lbs with the straight 8, a couple of hundred more with the V-12.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grimy said:

West, I noticed the fender skirt against the wall in your first photo, and the second showing the skirt installed confirms my belief that this car is body number Y-7, an 8-cylinder car that was beautifully restored by Wes C. in Canada about 1988, but has been sent to auction a dozen or more times since the late 1990s.  Unfortunately, the unconscionably bland colors chosen for the restoration were two shades of pale gray; I don't know if the red-orange wheels were done at the time or if they were a later attempt to spice up the car's appearance.

I'm truly sorry -- no, make that aghast -- to see a V-8 mockup block in the engine compartment.  Aaarrgghhh!  The car weighs about 5,400 lbs with the straight 8, a couple of hundred more with the V-12.

Looks also to be on a custom chassis with independent front suspension.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:10 AM, Dave Henderson said:

I recall seeing this picture in a '30's Life magazine.  The purpose was to create a draft in order for the rider to set a bicycle sped record.  I think that about 107 mph was attained if memory serves. The car is a sc '37 Cord 812, capable of doing that speed.

I've also seen that arrangement behind a Chrysler Airflow in that period.

Plus the 75 Miles Saturday afternoon after I unloaded the car, and the extra 34 miles we went out of our way missing a turn in the tour book...(AJ tossed you under the bus on that one!)..........😝 and then there was the Sunday morning drive to Del Ray......44 miles.........So it was 943 from Monday to Sunday. 👍👍👍

I confess to not doing the actual math. It took 32 hours to get the Texas mud off the car! And I repainted the bottom of all four fenders from the gravel that looked like a few rounds of buckshot that took some of the paint with it. Overall a great tour.............whoever arranged it has my compliments. He did such a good job, I’m recruiting people for the next one. Spoke to Craig and Mary today, and recruited Melvin’s people also, and Perry’s in.................you better get busy!

I invite you down to put the missing 57 miles on it............how’s that for an invitation?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Packard in California in 1930. Not sure if I haven't posted this, to many pages and images to go through.

Packardfront1930001.jpg

No......It’s new. Nice photo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Plus the 75 Miles Saturday afternoon after I unloaded the car, and the extra 34 miles we went out of our way missing a turn in the tour book...(AJ tossed you under the bus on that one!)..........😝 and then there was the Sunday morning drive to Del Ray......44 miles.........So it was 943 from Monday to Sunday. 👍👍👍

I confess to not doing the actual math. It took 32 hours to get the Texas mud off the car! And I repainted the bottom of all four fenders from the gravel that looked like a few rounds of buckshot that took some of the paint with it. Overall a great tour.............whoever arranged it has my compliments. He did such a good job, I’m recruiting people for the next one. Spoke to Craig and Mary today, and recruited Melvin’s people also, and Perry’s in.................you better get busy!

I invite you down to put the missing 57 miles on it............how’s that for an invitation?

Ed,  I asked about that turn,  I was told the guy at the front in the Rollston went the wrong way.

29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Ed,  I asked about that turn,  I was told the guy at the front in the Rollston went the wrong way.

NEVER follow the car in front if his/her path deviates from the official directions.  Sounds to me like a dozing-off navigator!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Especially if it is Ed.

They call me “Special Ed”, and for the record.......the book was wrong. The navigator was young, smart, good looking, and charming.............I have nothing but respect for him!(Me)🤪

18 minutes ago, Grimy said:

NEVER follow the car in front if his/her path deviates from the official directions.  Sounds to me like a dozing-off navigator!

For the record.........no one, and I mean no one follows me when I’m driving a J.........unless I allow it to happen.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Challenge accepted!!

West.......you're a great guy, and a good friend. But it takes two things to beat a Model J..........another Model J and the intestinal fortatude to run it to the limit. The wager should be a ten cent cigar and 100 dollars to the AACA library fund. 😝

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

Notice the comment was...."The guy at the front?" It's not easy reading directions and tooling down the road at 70mph. But we manage.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:41 PM, John_Mereness said:

night-nurse-37.thumb.jpg.262701cb6f2c10cb4c6d36086cb8156c.jpg

The actress is Barbara Stanwyck starring with Clark Gable (not the driver) in the movie:  Night Nurse, from 1931.

I'm unable to ID the roadster, but a better seen of it earlier in the movie shows the front end.  It also appears to be

running a Pilot-Ray light!

Capt. Harley 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Harley said:

The actress is Barbara Stanwyck starring with Clark Gable (not the driver) in the movie:  Night Nurse, from 1931.

I'm unable to ID the roadster, but a better seen of it earlier in the movie shows the front end.  It also appears to be

Capt. Harley 😉

Check the 1930-'31 Hupmobile Century 6 & 8 roadsters and phaetons, those have that forward undercut to the cowl at the front door line.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 9:00 AM, Captain Harley said:

Capt. Harley 😉

Possible Reo Royale.

Thanks A.J. , one again great photographs.

This photo is just post WWII, 1950 London Motor Show ( which resembled the pre WWII era motor shows so far as design/layout, exhibits) Car is a Frazer Nash. LeMans replica.

Photo by rear wheel seems to have been enhanced, retouched etc. .

Lots of Motor Show and Salon period photographs for London and Paris will be seen in a story in a few months, all pre war (WWII) era. 

FrazerNash1950motorshow001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
forgot to add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Thanks A.J. , one again great photographs.

This photo is just post WWII, 1950 London Motor Show ( which resembled the pre WWII era motor shows so far as design/layout, exhibits) Car is a Frazer Nash. LeMans replica.

Photo by rear wheel seems to have been enhanced, retouched etc. .

Lots of Motor Show and Salon period photographs for London and Paris will be seen in a story in a few months, all pre war (WWII) era. 

FrazerNash1950motorshow001.jpg

One of those confusing cars where the word Replica was the maker's designation. 

• Like 1

Is that Packard touring photo taken before or after the grand tour/drive that takes place. Looking at the oval door handles I am guessing it is a 7 passenger? Is that official concours dust? Show available only special souvenir head gear, or are they only worn by judges? They are all smiling so perhaps have been to one of the refreshment stands for a whiff of adult beverage. POSH indeed very very POSH.

• Like 1