Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The 851SC Speedster I take car of has the new Goodyear “chop side” white walls. They look great, and go down the road well. 

Chop side? What does that mean? Got a picture or a link?

25 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Chop side? What does that mean? Got a picture or a link?

I will take a photo when I get home tomorrow......it’s a sculpted tire.........not insane, but a nice look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

https://calisphere.org/item/45536e6f89c98224e1dd927d98036a49/James Harvey Irvine, Sr.'s 1931 Cadillac converted to a fire truck

686d92ac8e1158816f8335548a41e30e.jpg.b6156901584000afd69e3ad6cf7fe302.jpg

For about a decade, V-12 Cadillacs of the 1931-1933 vintage were very popular to cut down and use as transporters and hose wagons.......lthey made a bunch of touring cars for thr hotel market, and many of them were repurposed into fire equipment.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 5:58 PM, Walt G said:

Mercedes-Benz body by Million - Guiet  , not sure of model but the scrawled handwriting on the back of the print I have says 33/180 not sure if that means anything or not as I am not a M-B guy.

M-BtoencarMILLIonGuet001.jpg

Hi Walt,

I spotted this some days ago and having been remiss in commenting... the photo became hard to find because the thread has advanced literally dozens of pages since. Kudos!

My small contribution: the 33/180 term was most commonly used for this model in the U.K. to indicate taxable and rated horsepower. In the States we'd simply call it a 630K and in Germany it was the 24/110/160 or Typ 630. There were two versions of the 630 before it gave way to the 680 Typ S but to delve deeper into that I'd have to post on alsancle's prewar Mercedes thread. It is worth nothing that this particular car survives and spent quite a long time in the United States!

Best,

Jonathan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, F&J said:

I only have a few,  all 34 LaSalle conv. 

I saved the 3rd pic as it is the only 34 LaS vintage photo that I have seen with optional factory fold-in luggage rack braces. They are very deco styled and I found a pair on ebay some years back pretty cheap. Nobody wanted them so they were discounted by the seller.... as they are not everyone's cup of tea when folded inwards. (the rack deck was removable and stored in the lower tool trunk)

las1.jpg.2901b54a38ce0b5eafc92669b3cdf9a3.jpg1295038850_34LaSalleExport.jpg.86b35ac6616670666ea1cda10999d29a.jpglas4.thumb.jpg.d4d88659bc34ed0901ace935a28a38fd.jpg

Regarding the Mercedes-Be3nz town car with body by Million-Guiet .Thank you Jonathan! really appreciate the explanation.  Interesting that the same car /model/series had so many different ways to describe it in Germany, the U.K., and the USA. This all could be very confusing to anyone, including historians and count me among that group!

Walt

Edited by Walt G
clarify what photo. (see edit history)

5 hours ago, F&J said:

I only have a few,  all 34 LaSalle conv. 

I saved the 3rd pic as it is the only 34 LaS vintage photo that I have seen with optional factory fold-in luggage rack braces. They are very deco styled and I found a pair on ebay some years back pretty cheap. Nobody wanted them so they were discounted by the seller.... as they are not everyone's cup of tea when folded inwards. (the rack deck was removable and stored in the lower tool trunk)

las1.jpg.2901b54a38ce0b5eafc92669b3cdf9a3.jpg1295038850_34LaSalleExport.jpg.86b35ac6616670666ea1cda10999d29a.jpglas4.thumb.jpg.d4d88659bc34ed0901ace935a28a38fd.jpg

34 Lasalle is the nads!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

34 Lasalle is the nads!

yes I found that out when I worked three 34s for the estate to get them saleable.  The first glance at the maroon one you saw at auction, it was in the back of a barn when I saw the nose first and thought : "I'm just not into fat fender cars", but as I wiggled in to see the dash and the back end, I started to look at it differently.  After bringing them home to get them running, and yard driving them...well, I was so hooked on how they run and drive, etc.

Mine was pale yellow when new, maybe a wife's personal car?  This one below has to be the pale yellow, as nothing else was this light on 34 color charts.

mail.thumb.jpg.a29618c5ed15ba6428b58ea4dd502539.jpg

Bob from Ridgefield CT, who is 37hd on here sent me this pic he found online.

1 hour ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

I have the factory fold-in luggage rack braces on my 34 LaS.Club Sedan, but I am missing the rack deck. Sure would like to find on of these. Thanks. Jim

Jim, I rec'd 2 parts cars and some badly rotted body shell remains of another 34 conv. when I bought the incomplete basket case 34 conv.  The rear bumper & spring loaded bumper braces/tubes that came from the badly rotted conv, showed marks on the tubes where folding braces were once attached when new.  Small world, as the ebay seller in  L.I. NY was the same guy who originally bought/hauled all the  34 cars/parts stuff from Minnesota, resold most to a friend, but that friend did not buy all of the parts.  The exact set of luggage braces he sold me, came from that rotted one because the mating rust stains matched perfectly. 

One more thing of interest, one parts car I had was a collapsed 4 door 34 sedan.  When taking the tons of junk tossed inside for decades, I found that the front seat back fell backwards eons ago...when I dug down to remove it, I stood it up to go through the door and was shocked to see a flat heater mounted to the upper backrest.   It has a GM logo, factory looking bends in copper pipes running under the floor.  I looked it up in Clark/Kimes big book, and they list 2 heaters as 34 options, one is listed as a ''steam heater'''...bear with me..

...I posted about it here on AACA, and I believe it was Tinidian who knew all about the rarely known 34 sedan backrest heater.  He was like 9 or 10 back in early 40s and a traveling salesman gave him a ride in the back seat of a 34 LaS, he saw it and asked the original owner what it was, the guy turned it on for him,  and he remembered it very well after all these years.

Edited by F&J
late night missplellin' (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Vogue Tires and really a shame that with all the really fabulous tread and sidewall patterns that they had pre-WWII that someone did not ever try to reproduce, though assume the molds did not survive. 

Here's a link for more info on the fancy lattice diamond X design Whitewalls. These are tires made by Falls Rubber Company called the "Roadmaster". and not Vogue. Looks like the dealer in the photo sold both Vogue, and Falls Cord Brand. If you go to the link below from the old motor you will get the history low down of the company and a closeup pic. Enjoy

https://theoldmotor.com/?p=146478

Here's a link for more info on the fancy lattice diamond X design Whitewalls. These are tires made by Falls Rubber Company called the "Roadmaster". and not Vogue. Looks like the dealer in the photo sold both Vogue, and Falls Cord Brand. If you go to the link below from the old motor you will get the history low down of the company and a closeup pic. Enjoy

Regarding this vehicle.  The windshield possibly is an after market model.  Many cars were sold without windshields and folding tops.  Advertising for windshields was fairly common in several old journals found in Google books (such as "The Automobile").   For autos not originally equipped with windshields an attachment and support device would be needed.  The wooden frame and plate glass windshield on this car really does appear to be added on.  The cowl section of the body is the most sturdily built par but there is no fitting for a windshield, even if one were to purchase it as an option.  An optional windshield as a planned offering for the car should have had a windshield mount / base built into the cowl.  In this case it does appear to be either a home brew or after market application.

S.G.V..jpg

2 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

🤓 A real "Land Yacht"!

Budweiser Bevo Boat, built on a 1931 Pierce Arrow Series 41 chassis. This was boat number five if my memory serves me. The car originally had a one off LeBaron high top Enclosed Drive Limousine on it. The boat body was built “in house” at the company’s truck body shop.............interestingly it still survives, but was placed on a V-12 Cadillac chassis back in the late 80’s........why it was swapped over, I have no idea. It’s a neat vehicle, and very well done.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Budweiser Bevo Boat, built on a 1931 Pierce Arrow Series 41 chassis. ...but was placed on a V-12 Cadillac chassis back in the late 80’s........why it was swapped over, I have no idea. It’s a neat vehicle, and very well done.

Ed, The Series 41 is the choicest 1931 Pierce-Arrow as you know, was that chassis re-bodied with a recreated LeBaron design?

32 minutes ago, edinmass said:

No, it was cut up for parts..........

41 & 42 chassis are the same, except for length. I have a Series 42 Dual Cowl. 👍

I assumed that might have been the case, too bad though perhaps another 41 returned to the road.   I recall a CCCA article that analyzed the V-12 production from all Classic Era makers, that the Cadillac 368 ci V-12 was the greatest production of all.  Your perspectives on that engine would be of interest.

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Budweiser Bevo Boat, built on a 1931 Pierce Arrow Series 41 chassis. This was boat number five if my memory serves me. The car originally had a one off LeBaron high top Enclosed Drive Limousine on it. The boat body was built “in house” at the company’s truck body shop.............interestingly it still survives, but was placed on a V-12 Cadillac chassis back in the late 80’s........why it was swapped over, I have no idea. It’s a neat vehicle, and very well done.

I swear I saw the "Bevo Boat" as a little kid via one of the many visits to Ted Cull's out on North Main Street in Dayton. OH - Ted had a really nice original 1929 Packard Standard 8 Club Sedan (that he accidentally lost in Kruse Auction shenanigans) and had the customized 1938 Lincoln LeBaron Convertible Sedan (that Ralph Marano bought after I answered a inquiry in Cars & Parts seeking the location of car - I doubt 10 people knew it existed), plus Ted was into V-16 Cadillac's, CCCA parts, and upgraded countless cars for Leo Gephart (Leo's shop was a couple more blocks down the street and we stored cars a couple more blocks from that).  Anyway, I want to say the "Bevo Boat" was ROUGH, ROUGH, ROUGH and sitting in the side yard grass up on blocks and under a tarpaulin.  

1938 Lincoln LeBaron Convertible Sedan commissioned by Lincoln dealer James H. Knox and attributed to Holden ‘Bob’ Koto, Alex Tremulis, & Ralph Roberts.

1938 Lincoln Model K Convertible Sedan Vehicle Profile

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Yes, I am saw the Old Motor pieces noting the Falls Cord Roadmaster tire, though I have always seen them attributed to Vogue, including in Vogue's history: https://www.voguetyre.com/about-us , 

There is some interesting internet reading about Cooper and Falls, the the name "Cooper Falls Roadmaster", and ... out on internet: The Cooper Corporation, the M and M Company, and The Falls Rubber company merged in 1930 to form the Master Tire and Rubber Company. The company name was changed to Cooper Tire & Rubber Company in 1946. 

My guess is one of the tires exists in some dusty garage corner and would be fun to read the labeling, plus we need to find a "period" advertisement or ...

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I assumed that might have been the case, too bad though perhaps another 41 returned to the road.   I recall a CCCA article that analyzed the V-12 production from all Classic Era makers, that the Cadillac 368 ci V-12 was the greatest production of all.  Your perspectives on that engine would be of interest.

The Cadillac 12 was not inspiring........adequate would be how I describe it. The best 12 is the Pierce......by quite a bit. Basically with a twelve you get a complicated and expensive to restore engine, and with most manufacturers......it isn’t worth it. That said, tweak a Pierce 12 and you get 225 hp easy, and there isn’t much that will touch it’s in the era. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, F&J said:

1295038850_34LaSalleExport.jpg.86b35ac6616670666ea1cda10999d29a.jpglas4.thumb.jpg.d4d88659bc34ed0901ace935a28a38fd.jpg

Note how technically the "same" car has such dramatically different looks - the car in the top photo having a black top with light colored edging, no-sidemount spare tires, chrome wheel disk covers over wires, and whitewalls, while the lower car has tan top with dark colored edging, sidemount spare tires, painted wheel disk covers, and blackwalls.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The Cadillac 12 was not inspiring........adequate would be how I describe it. The best 12 is the Pierce......by quite a bit. Basically with a twelve you get a complicated and expensive to restore engine, and with most manufacturers......it isn’t worth it. That said, tweak a Pierce 12 and you get 225 hp easy, and there isn’t much that will touch it’s in the era. 

So, Cadillac was selling more sizzle with their V-12 than steak...  You want steak?  Buy a Pierce-Arrow Twelve!!!!

9 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Isn't the V-12 basically a shortened up V-16 ?  I know an AACA member by the name of Dwayne Pansing (Dayton, OH) had a fabulous original 1931 V-12 Sport Touring that had belonged to Charles Kettering (and it had an engine turned engine compartment) and he swore his car would run circles around any V-16, though my guess is his car was possibly "hopped up" given its ownership history.  By the way, that same garage the V-12 came from had an interesting car in it still when I was a kid - a one-off 1941 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood 4 door Convertible Sedan (I saw it at maybe age 7 in 1972-ish and it survived that long in near pristine condition so no doubt it still survives). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

So, Cadillac was selling more sizzle with their V-12 than steak...  You want steak?  Buy a Pierce-Arrow Twelve!!!!

Yes......or a Cadillac 16. Many people just don’t realize how much more of a challenge a V-12 or V-16 is to get set up correctly and dialed in. A Cadillac V-16 has two Stewart Warner vacuum tanks, and two Cadillac Johnson carburetors. Want to test your skill level? Dial in a Caddy 16 or a Pierce 12. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1