Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

This is a fairly famous photo being from book Olympian Cars - Stutz Monte Carlo - Weymann

1155133325_download(23).jpg.b1b47d215eaf684bf8a37a1df9acf890.jpg

1804564002_download(21).jpg.3ef8e7e687c213c2409b8321c36a841f.jpg

Title Wrecked Stutz - H. S. Krutzen, owner and assured, Southern California, 1935
Description 2 photographs of wrecked automobile, Southern California, 1935. "Subject: Wrecked Stutz - H. S. Krutzen, owner and assured; Agency: Bill to Fogel andBeman, c/o F. E. Jordan, 1211 Pac[ific] National B[ui]ld[in]g; Client: Harry Parker, Mr. Jordan; Original Print Order: 1 ea[ch], 3 of #1; Size: 8x10; Finish:gl[ossy]; Job: 2-11-60; Year: 1935" -- on envelope front. "Operator's Report Name: Dean; Original Photographs-Size: 2- 8x10 int[erior]; Amount: 5.00" -- onenvelope back.
Subject (lcsh) Automobiles
Subject (Corporate Name) Stutz
Subject (Personal Name) Parker, Harry
Jordan
Krutzen, H. S.
Dean
Geographic Subject (State) California
Geographic Subject (Country) USA
Geographic Subject (Region) California, Southern
Coverage date 1935
Photographer Dick Whittington Studio
Publisher (of the Digital Version) University of Southern California. Libraries

305111745_download(24).jpg.7ac0cc22c2de76867157454df8a81d7f.jpg

Pantages crash scene

Juro Rokumoto, who was out riding with his family in this Ford, was killed when their auto collided with a Stutz Coupe, driven by Lois Pantages, on Sunset Boulevard at Serrano Avenue in Hollywood. A doll belonging to one of the Rokunoto children is seen lower left. Photograph dated October 3, 1929. 

Order Number 00067037
Title Evidence of Pantages accident
Collection ID Herald Examiner Collection
Location/Accession HE box 1596
Date 1929
Physical Description 1 photograph :b&w
Notes Photograph was edited for publication purposes.
Description The prosecution will introduce this photo of Mrs. Lois Pantages' expensive Stutz Coupe, which is being held at the police department garage. Its front end was crushed after collided with a car belonging to anowner with the last name of Rokumoto. The state alleges Mrs. Pantages was driving while intoxicated at the time of the crash. Photograph dated September 4, 1929.
Subject Rokumoto, Juro--Death and burial.
Pantages, Lois--Trials, litigation, etc.
Stutz automobile.
Automobiles--California--Los Angeles.
Trials (Murder)--California--Los Angeles.
Traffic accidents--California--Los Angeles.
Herald-Examiner Collection photographs.
Format Photographic prints
Reproduction Information Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Sub-Collection Name Los Angeles Herald Examiner Photo Collection
Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Some of the auto accidents photos can be tough to view, however, the damage can be interesting to view.  Perhaps police officers, highway patrol officers, accident investigators on this forum would find these accident photos interesting.  No, it is not enjoyable to see this wrecked Cord L-29, but it is interesting to see the damage sustained by the vehicle, and guesstimate how the accident occurred.  In the case of this Cord, the damage suggests a left-hand curve of the road, a fairly steep ditch, with the front end ramming an embankment, resulting in the car flipping over and rolling.  The virtually bald looking right front tire may or may not have been a contributing factor.

Some of the photos are glass plate negatives too and digitized in ways that allow you to enlarge and see what color a bolt is or ... (so I suspect they could help someone with a restoration via little details).  Yesterday, I for example was looking at what a non-accident photo and for fun of it enlarged the tire valve stem cap for an L-29 Cord.   

I remember gasoline dispensers like this.  My father worked at a station that had devices like this.  Years later when I lived in a suburb of Athens, Greece, our local gasoline station was busted by the Greek police.  The station had gravity feed pumps similar to those in the photo, but the station proprietor had installed a tube inside the pump that bled off some of the gasoline and returned it to his storage tank.  In that way we customers were continually cheated as we downloaded fuel.

West_Way_Service_Station_1933(3).jpg

John, if you keep posting all the wrecked Auburn photos, you may depress the current resale market............🤔

• Haha 2

Not a wrecked car, but horrible to even think about having an accident in a car with the petrol tank in the engine compartement. 1934-36 Steyr 100, then the entry level model. Pillarless four door body neither mine cup of tea.

Quite lovely rear-view with spare wheel cover and split window although

Steyr 100.jpg

Steyr 100 rear view.jpg

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

Just now, edinmass said:

John, if you keep posting all the wrecked Auburn photos, you may depress the current resale market............🤔

That is all I know of - there are some wreck photos of Frank Lloyd Wright's L-29 Phaeton but will leave that to someone else (as mentioned - just depressing photos). 

53 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Ah, but if the market goes down enough, maybe some of us "newbie's" could jump in.

Would that be a bad thing ?

Present company excepted, as my barn is full..............

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Delage is in Europe - can anyone looking at this tell us  who the coach builder was. and also the series ? Is it a D8?

The Bentley photo was a very small snapshot , taken in 1926 in New York City, I am thinking a 3 1/2 litre? The car parked on the street behind it seems to be a Lincoln model L

sign on the front of the building across the street says"  "Artists'  ". I believe the Bentley sales /dealer at this era was on the street immediately west of ( next to)  Grand Central Station

at the north end of the block. As of about 15 years ago the location was the home to a restaurant but they hadn't destroyed the facade so you could imagine new Bentley's on display for all to see.

More useless old car/dealership information that remains in my mind. I can't remember what pills each day I am supposed to take but can tell you where they sold Hispano-Suizas in Manhattan .😬

Thanks again to AACA and all of you who are putting up with this old photo thread.

Walt

Delageconvvictoria001.jpg

Bentley1926NYCITY001.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Ah, but if the market goes down enough, maybe some of us "newbie's" could jump in.

Would that be a bad thing ?

Present company excepted, as my barn is full..............

Mike in Colorado

Don't look for the market to fall too much on ACD products - and there are already plenty of newbie's in our club and it is absolutely fantastic (we have incredibly active and age diverse membership). Also, the cars rarely change hands outside of the Club as not too hard to raise your hand and get top dollar.   Interestingly, there are not too many cars put in our club newsletter or website either - it tends to be a knowing people thing and asking around.    That said, I assume the current state of the market will drive out into the open some optimistic projects and .... 

This 1932 was advertised on the Club website, was endoreed by poster, and sounds to be a good car (it popped up on eBay this week too).  

It's drawbacks appear to be wooden wheels with rear mount spare and no rumbleseat

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Auburn/184369347345

21 hours ago, Casper Friederich said:

1933-35 Steyr 430 with Rumble seat, based on the Porsche designed Steyr 30. Only 1250 built, that includes all body styles.

Steyr 430 1933.jpg

Here is a Steyr Super that is in the LeMay Family Museum in Marymount, WA.

34_Steyr.jpg

• Like 1

John posted two photos, one of a Ford Model T sedan that had been wrecked by a Stutz.  Here is a photo of a Model T sedan showing the body wood frame work.  The Model T was a fairly fragile construction.

120 1928 wreck Stutz Ford 02-02.jpg

Ford T wood framing.jpg

• Like 1