Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

early days at Makaha, some old buddies and most of them are gone.

Bing Copeland — Liquid Salt

Mixing Cocktails on the beach in a beach hut. both illegal these days Hermosa beach 22 st. L.A. County;

Perfect Merc' McFarlane, Hermosa Beach pioneer lifeguard passes on

Perfect Merc' McFarlane, Hermosa Beach pioneer lifeguard pioneer ...

When surfboards were made out of redwood;

Shaping boards in Bergstrom's garage.

McFarlane and Bergstrom with the Makaha Limited.

Makaha limited

Makaha in the early '50s. John McFarlane, Bing Copeland, Rick Stoner and Mike Bright

• Like 4

Narrows Bridge Opening Ceremonies. 1923 Lincoln Touring Car containing Governor Clarence D. Martin (center seat, passenger side) leads official parade across the newly opened Tacoma Narrows Bridge on July 1, 1940. The 6.4 million dollar bridge would collapse in high winds a mere four months later. The Lincoln automobile pictured has been in the Titus Will family since it was built and has carried many dignitaries, including Queen Elizabeth and Franklin Roosevelt. 

Richards_Studio_D99461.jpg

• Like 1

Large billboard with elaborate carved posts featuring the Durant Star car as viewed on March 29, 1924. Calling it "A Creation of Beauty," the "New Star Car" was advertised as meeting car buyers' "every requirement." The Star car was only manufactured for a few short years between 1922-28 and was an affordable rival to the Model T. 

Marvin_D_Boland_Collection_BOLANDB9727.jpg

• Like 3

W.W. Pickerill behind the wheel of a 1906 6-cylinder Ford Model K Roadster. Photo taken on Broadway. Bldg at right - Union Club, 539 Broadway. Mr. Pickerill was the manager of the Washington Automobile Co., 710-12 Pacific Avenue, which was the first automobile dealership in Tacoma and one of four automobile agencies then doing business in the city.

General_Photograph_Collection_JER01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rickenbackers on display. On September 12, 1924, a fleet of five Rickenbacker automobiles are photographed lined up alongside an unidentified street. Their drivers are casually posed next to them. Each vehicle has a "Defender" sign on the front windshield. September 12th was declared "Defenders' Day, " a legal holiday, by Governor Louis F. Hart. The date had been set aside nationally for citizens' response to national defense.

Marvin_D_Boland_Collection_BOLANDB10951.jpg

• Like 1

jukejunkie1015,  Very nice pictures! The Franklin, the Lincoln, Star billboard, and more Rickenbackers than I think I have ever seen in one place!

The model K Ford is of special interest to me. An internet friend has been studying them for a number of years now, finding solid evidence that the model K Ford was NOT the lame loser that many "historians" had said it to be. He found that when viewed in its time frame and compared to its contemporary competition (especially in the six cylinder market), the model K built in larger numbers than most of its contemporaries, and in fact numbers higher than would have made any other car large or small considered a success in the market place (in those early years). The model Ks were often used for extensive long distance tours. And a lot of their owners kept them longer than most other cars, and when the aging model Ks did go onto the used car market, their resale values were considerably higher than were most of their contemporaries (in spite of a lower initial price when new). The model K Ford for three years made more money for Ford than their lower cost models made in higher numbers. The Model K profits helped finance the purchase of land and beginning construction for the Highland Park plant where the model T Ford and the famous moving assembly line were later built.

One detail however.The 6-40 roadster pictured was first offered as a 1907 model. 1906 models had a shorter wheelbase, and some other differences. It may be possible that the earliest '07 models might have been sold in late 1906.

Thank you for posting such great photos!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

Narrows Bridge Opening Ceremonies. 1923 Lincoln Touring Car containing Governor Clarence D. Martin (center seat, passenger side) leads official parade across the newly opened Tacoma Narrows Bridge on July 1, 1940. The 6.4 million dollar bridge would collapse in high winds a mere four months later. The Lincoln automobile pictured has been in the Titus Will family since it was built and has carried many dignitaries, including Queen Elizabeth and Franklin Roosevelt. 

Richards_Studio_D99461.jpg

The Lincoln is more like 1929 I think - note front wheel brakes and bowl shape head lamps. 

• Thanks 1

1920 Napier 40/50, competitor to the Rolls-Royce "Silver Ghost". A more modern aircraft inspired engine with overhead camshaft. Bodies often by the in house coachbuilder Cunard, as also in the this case, was a drawback compared with RR. Strikes at the factory didn't either help to win back the title "The Best Car in the World" 

Napier.jpg

116471781_10158946571447189_7967579312918523308_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=U2LCTaOKMwUAX_rrLC4&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=b2ade7b0c7bf3b2e25b1ef20d5660237&oe=5F48CD66

Re: Vintage Packards on the Street Thread...
Forum Ambassador
rank3dbf8edf15093.gif
cavt49c7e8ea8e077.jpg
From New Jersey
That "club sedan" in post #266 is a very unique Packard, a Derham one-off 1940 full individual custom owned for many years by Dr. Al Pressman of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. It was originally ordered by one of the principals of the NY investment house Drexel Lambert. Curiously, it does not have a Packard-issued vehicle number on the usual patent plate but rather has a Derham ID plate with a Derham-provided vehicle number. As originally delivered, much of the exterior brightwork was painted black.

Walt Breithaupt's 1940 120 convertible and Bob Teller's 1942 Clipper club sedan just behind it.

The photo was taken at a Packards East (region of PAC) gathering at the Teterboro Air Museum in NJ. Our next stop was to the preserved WW II submarine USS Ling in Hackensack. The Ling has become a sad story, If you have an interest in such things:

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2020/03/buck ... unleashed-by-vandals.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ca. 1907. Dorcas Spalt rides through Wright Park in her 1906 Cadillac, driven by her son, Worthy Morris. Purported to be the first Cadillac in Tacoma. Man standing next to car was not identified except as a friend of Mr. Morris. 

General_Photograph_Collection_MORRIS002.jpg

• Like 1

Former heavyweight boxing champion Jack Dempsey (at left) posed with Allen Motor Co. president Harold A. Allen (center) and Mr. Dempsey's manager, Leonard Sacks, on September 10, 1931, at the Union Station, 1717 Pacific Avenue. A new Studebaker President eight brougham, courtesy of Allen Motors, is ready for Mr. Dempsey, per his request. The boxer customarily drove a Studebaker at home and asked to be transported in one while in Tacoma. 

Marvin_D_Boland_Collection_BOLANDB24079.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jukejunkie1015 said:
Former heavyweight boxing champion Jack Dempsey (at left) posed with Allen Motor Co. president Harold A. Allen (center) and Mr. Dempsey's manager, Leonard Sacks, on September 10, 1931, at the Union Station, 1717 Pacific Avenue. A new Studebaker President eight brougham, courtesy of Allen Motors, is ready for Mr. Dempsey, per his request. The boxer customarily drove a Studebaker at home and asked to be transported in one while in Tacoma. 

Marvin_D_Boland_Collection_BOLANDB24079.jpg

Jack Dempsey seems to have stood next to a lot of cars in his day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Henley body mounted on a P1 chassis?

There are not too many possibilities on a Henley, as they made eleven if I remember correctly and I knew where a few of them are. One in Maine, one in Ohio, one in Florida, another in Ohio, and one more that I can’t remember where it is.......some are fake, and one is a real body placed on another chassis.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, edinmass said:

There are not too many possibilities on a Henley, as they made seven if I remember correctly and I knew where a few of them are. One in Maine, one in Ohio, one in Florida, another in Ohio, and one more that I can’t remember where it is.......and that accounts for all of the survivors.......that are real.

I think it is this car:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am17/amelia-island/lots/r342-1929-rolls-royce-phantom-i-henley-roadster-by-brewster/411636

image.jpeg.15e580f2e93fbb3be5d387be46920a8f.jpeg

Believe this to be a Winton. Can anyone confirm? Last thing I could find on it's where a bouts was In 1985, the Winton House Car was sold to the Imperial Palace Auto Collection in Las Vegas.  Hopefully it's being well kept somewhere still.

Scan-246.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)