Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

2 hours ago, Tph479 said:

Mercedes 500k and 540k, both special roadsters

986EF8CB-CA28-4949-840A-924C035DCA34.jpeg

The Car on the left is the late third version of the Special Roadster.  It was owned briefly by my dad's best friend Ted Billing in the 1960s.   My dad paid 5500 for his 19k mile original Cab A while Ted paid 6500 for the SR which was sort of crappy.   Both cars were bought simultaneously from Ed Jurist.   After  a year or so Ted tired of screwing around trying to get the 540k to run right so he traded it back to Ed Jurist for J292.    Before doing so he offered to trade it to my dad for the Cab A & 1k dollars which my dad declined since his car ran so well.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The Car on the left is the late third version of the Special Roadster.  It was owned briefly by my dad's best friend Ted Billing in the 1960s.   My dad paid 5500 for his 19k mile original Cab A while Ted paid 6500 for the SR which was sort of crappy.   Both cars were bought simultaneously from Ed Jurist.   After  a year or so Ted tired of screwing around trying to get the 540k to run right so he traded it back to Ed Jurist for J292.    Before doing so he offered to trade it to my dad for the Cab A & 1k dollars which my dad declined since his car ran so well.   

Bet he is still talking to himself over that one...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

I don’t think anyone will ever be allowed to sit on this cars fender again.

151259F4-58B4-4EE6-A935-5A0FA795DBA9.jpeg

It’s just a used car......and when servicing 100 point cars, you do what you have to do. Been there, done that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Bet he is still talking to himself over that one...........

A friend bought a 57C Gangloff Bugatti and it was double supercharged (once supercharger feeding to another) and pretty rare with the key decision being that it had a rebuilt engine, but the car he turned down was a standing seam car that is now in Ralph Lauren collection - it was shinier, but no one knew its true mechanical condition, so one became a pushing million dollar car and the other became a serious multi-million dollar car.

10 hours ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

11 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

28561944787425524939020.jpg

Vogue Tires and really a shame that with all the really fabulous tread and sidewall patterns that they had pre-WWII that someone did not ever try to reproduce, though assume the molds did not survive. 

6 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

I haven’t seen in photos or on survivors , so were they not  popular , bit garish for most tastes I presume 

Pre WWII, Vogue tires were incredibly popular on West Coast and so popular that while many tire companies are no longer in existence that today Vogue is still in business.And, periodically, some unrestored something or another is found with a set of tires or at spare. Serious "my dog is better than your dog" and "keeping up with the Jones'" stuff

51987048_10216487453077004_1937783540515078144_o.jpg

• Like 1

Cadillac offered color matching or tinted white walls in 1932-1933. I have an old example up in my fathers attic of a 18 inch green wall. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Cadillac offered color matching or tinted white walls in 1932-1933. I have an old example up in my fathers attic of a 18 inch green wall. 

The first time I saw the Mormon Meteor post current restoration it sported a reproduction set of orange wall Firestone tires - they then moved to the blackwalls you see on it currently. 

The orange tires from the era still survive,  I had on in my hands a few months ago.........a very neat keepsake for a great car. It was at the shop where the car was restored. Ask Chris about making the new orange tires sometime........quite an ordeal.

• Like 2