Period images to relieve some of the stress

4 hours ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

I believe these tires are "Falls Cords" with the X design.

I haven’t seen in photos or on survivors , so were they not  popular , bit garish for most tastes I presume 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

11 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

28561944787425524939020.jpg

Vogue Tires and really a shame that with all the really fabulous tread and sidewall patterns that they had pre-WWII that someone did not ever try to reproduce, though assume the molds did not survive. 

6 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

I haven’t seen in photos or on survivors , so were they not  popular , bit garish for most tastes I presume 

Pre WWII, Vogue tires were incredibly popular on West Coast and so popular that while many tire companies are no longer in existence that today Vogue is still in business.And, periodically, some unrestored something or another is found with a set of tires or at spare. Serious "my dog is better than your dog" and "keeping up with the Jones'" stuff

51987048_10216487453077004_1937783540515078144_o.jpg

• Like 1

Cadillac offered color matching or tinted white walls in 1932-1933. I have an old example up in my fathers attic of a 18 inch green wall. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Cadillac offered color matching or tinted white walls in 1932-1933. I have an old example up in my fathers attic of a 18 inch green wall. 

The first time I saw the Mormon Meteor post current restoration it sported a reproduction set of orange wall Firestone tires - they then moved to the blackwalls you see on it currently. 

I did an article on the color sided tires for Hemmings Classic Car some time ago, have the sales catalog for them.

• Like 1

The orange tires from the era still survive,  I had on in my hands a few months ago.........a very neat keepsake for a great car. It was at the shop where the car was restored. Ask Chris about making the new orange tires sometime........quite an ordeal.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, edinmass said:

The orange tires from the era still survive,  I had on in my hands a few months ago.........a very neat keepsake for a great car. It was at the shop where the car was restored. Ask Chris about making the new orange tires sometime........quite an ordeal.

I do not think it was Chris' favorite project. 

The 851SC Speedster I take car of has the new Goodyear “chop side” white walls. They look great, and go down the road well. 

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The 851SC Speedster I take car of has the new Goodyear “chop side” white walls. They look great, and go down the road well. 

I have a set mounted for my Auburn - the concentric ring pattern is great 

Goodyear Bias-Ply Antique Tires | Discount Prices

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

For me this is such a classic photo that is straight from a Norman Rockwell or car ad from the time. 

Just a great photo.

Hastings Express.jpg

I believe that's a Vim, made in Philadelphia.  Great shot!

• Like 2

An SGV.  Was that windshield design for aesthetics, or for cars traveling so fast they needed extra support to keep the windshield from laying flat at speed?  I think (and hope) there is another reason one of the viewers will share.

SGV.jpg

• Like 1
  • gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress