Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

6 hours ago, 3macboys said:

While not an image I just came across this film of the 1917 Dodge Brothers assembly line:  

I'm sure that some will have seen it before but it was a first for me.  The real credit or is it reel credit goes to these folks who preserved it:  https://www.filmpreservation.org/preserved-films/screening-room/dodge-motor-cars-ca-1917#

I could only get the youtube link to play on my computer.  

Now lets take it for a test drive!  

Craig

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Twin6? What are we looking at here? Odd proportions to fenders.

I figured the Duesenberg guys would be all over this.  I believe it's a 1926 Model A.  No information on the body, sorry.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

I figured the Duesenberg guys would be all over this.  I believe it's a 1926 Model A.  No information on the body, sorry.

It has been heavily discussed over time - Model A Duesenberg chassis with "evolution(s)" to drivetrain and what could be fairly described as an early "Hollywood" custom coachwork "commissioned this unique speedster body from Bud Lyons Hollywood Boulevard shop"

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2011/04/03/sia-flashback-the-krueger-special-returns#&gid=1&pid=4

This is probably the better description I have read:  The Rolf Armstrong Duesenberg' that was built on a shortened Duesenberg Model A chassis but with it's use of multiple OEM parts it's not hard to imagine it being referred to as Marmon, Duesenberg or Kreuger. Good to know it still exists. The pix I attached show Rolf Armstrong with actress/model Margery Crampton. If you'd like to learn more about the great Rolf Armstrong, buy the Illustration Magazine issue #48 off of their website-90% of the issue was about Rolf's life and obviously art. The studio shot of Rolf is with model Jewel Flowers who was his primary model for 20+ years. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-1947-krueger-16-roadster.1088788/

Rolf armstrong Margery crampton duseneberg Model A.jpg

Rolf armstrong Dusenberg Model A.jpg

4148.thumb.jpg.dfe5e9b5b2156bda97bc09fe9b8b6cfa.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow, have never seen/heard of it, but what a great "Duesenberg variant Sports car". I say that because IMHO most Duesies are too big to be considered sports cars, except maybe the Cooper/Gable ones. But this little sweetie, wow again. I've viewed the posted threads, Duesie/Marmon/Custom, 1947 etc, but who cares. How do the experts purists view this machine? Edinmass, you like it for your stable?

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

1926.jpg

This is a great looking car IMO, nice to know its history, you never know what will turn up on the HAMB. Bob 

This car is a good example of "when someone restores something they should refrain from their additional artistic license" or whatever you want to call it - aka it should look today exactly like it looks in this period photograph. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Just now, John_Mereness said:

This car is a good example of "when someone restores something they should refrain from their additional artistic license" or whatever you want to call it - aka it should look today exactly like it looks in this period photograph. 

That is my view as well, the hood sides and color are the first things I correct. I posted that Auburn Speedster photo thinking they may have cut one down, but the door hinges killed that thought. Bob  Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hey Ed. here is one you can help identify. WHat I know: photo was taken in 1935, location is the south side of 7th Street in Garden City, NY out here on long island.

Car is obviously a Pierce Arrow. What is the year and series/model, is the body custom built?  Note how bald the spare tire is

Photo was taken by the Drennan studio which was a commercial photographer located one town south of Garden City.  Less then a 1/4 mile away to the right of this photo was

located the Garden City Hotel ( original wood structure not the sad excuse for a replacement that is there now) where Charles Lindberg stayed the night before he made his famous flight to Paris

from Roosevelt Field airport which would be a mile east of this location.

The tail light on the P-A I always admired as a fine cluster of automotive art and equipment. I have one mounted on a display stand with a license plate on it in my living room with a period advertising plate mounted to it urging all to eat Bond bread. 🙃.

PierceArrowGardencitycrash001.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Hey Ed. here is one you can help identify. WHat I know: photo was taken in 1935, location is the south side of 7th Street in Garden City, NY out here on long island.

Car is obviously a Pierce Arrow. What is the year and series/model, is the body custom built?  Note how bald the spare tire is

Photo was taken by the Drennan studio which was a commercial photographer located one town south of Garden City.  Less then a 1/4 mile away to the right of this photo was

located the Garden City Hotel ( original wood structure not the sad excuse for a replacement that is there now) where Charles Lindberg stayed the night before he made his famous flight to Paris

The tail light on the P-A I always admired as a fine cluster of automotive art and equipment. I have one mounted on a display stand with a license plate on it in my living room with a period advertising plate mounted to it urging all to eat Bond bread. 🙃.

Fantastic! Pondering it now....

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Walt G said:

If you don't like how Ed drives, stay off the sidewalk!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1