Buick items on American Pickers!

Buick_daughter

Hello All--

I know I've chatted with some of you about my 1939 Buick Limo and coupe and some great signs my Dad collected.  Back in March, the show American Pickers came out to my family estate and picked some items.  Now these items and a lot of Buick memorabilia will be on the show.  It airs this coming Monday, August 5 @ 9/8c pm on The History Channel.

Below is a sneak peak of our episode.

• Like 1

I enjoy some of there shows and have been told many stories of those who have had experiences with them.  My question to you is, did they PAY you what you wanted or told you what to say and how to act?

I enjoy watching the show, but long ago realized that it is, if not scripted, at least choreographed.  I had a person who was on the show tell me that the pickers showed up after the big vans were already there.  It's documented that Danielle has her own shop and doesn't really work for them, she's an actress playing a part.  

All that said, it's entertainment, and they get into some great places.  I remember the one episode when they followed, "by chance", a Stanley Steamer back to a place, and ended up buying some things.  Turns out that fellow is notorious for NOT selling anything, and the place was "salted" with things to find.  Any of you young'uns that don't know what salted means, look it up in reference to gold mines.

I think the show started as being "real".  Early on, they bought some Civil War items from an old guy, and there were people really pissed that they took advantage of the old guy.  Since then, notice that they'll bend over backwards to even offer more than a seller states, lesson learned from an early episode.

Now, the money for producing and selling the show is too great to be "real" anymore.  That's true of a lot of so called reality shows, as long as one understands it's just entertainment, then no harm no foul....

• Like 5

I saw your Buick segment last night, looks like your signs were the main interest of the pick.  Will the literature collection be offered to the public?  It would be a shame for it to be in the silo forever.

Now that the show has aired, it would be interesting and enlightening to get a first-hand report on how the visit by the pickers came about (how did they learn about the seller). how the visit went, was the filming "after-the fact" and staged for t.v., etc.

Buick_daughter, carre to enlighten us?

trimacar:  Where is it "documented that Danielle has her own shop and doesn't really work for them, she's an actress playing a part?"  First I have heard of that being so.  Interesting and would like to refer to the source for more info.  

For those of you asking him for behind the scene details, it’s highly probable that he’s signed a nondisclosure agreement that would have dire consequences if he gave anything away. I say this because I was almost on a car show and their discloser had statements like “in all the universe” and “for eternity”. If I disclosed anything I was subject to a fine equal to about a years worth of my pay. 

• Like 2

They called me.. I got an email from Canada - they want my location and picture of all my stuff..

I do not do this.. Do not send any thing about your stuff until you know who they are.. It felt like it was third party out.. I like to deal with the real deal.. not a telemarketer.. What is that?

IMG_0729bb.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, D Yaros said:

Where is it "documented that Danielle has her own shop and doesn't really work for them, she's an actress playing a part?"  First I have heard of that being so.  Interesting and would like to refer to the source for more info.  

That has been common knowledge for some time. It is a TV show for entertainment, and have been successful in convincing viewers it is real. Did you ever wonder how come the camera man just happens to be in both places when exactly when the phone rings? 

There was an article in the Ocala Star Banner saying that the pickers were going to be filming episodes in the area about two years ago. I inherited a rather large antique toy collection about 10 years ago and figured why not give them a call. The area code was somewhere upstate New York (Buffalo area), where the production company was located, I had left a message and about a week later I received a call from one of the members of the production team. The first question he asked was if everything was organized or was it all thrown about. I told him that it was pretty well organized. He responded "thanks but we are looking for clutter and a mess it makes for good TV , even though you have some interesting pieces after all it's a TV show, and they can purchase those items on the internet if they really wanted them"

Hate to let the air out of the float but,,,,,,, it is more of a staged reality then an actual reality.   

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Enough “Pickers” slamming. It’s just entertainment and it is always interesting.

There is a forum about the pickers called  “Madam Cadillac” for the slammers.

I was told “ if you can not say something nice about someone do not say a thing”.

Remember you can turn off the tube any time,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, md murray said:

-No true car guy could ever put those go-cart tires on white upholstery like that- jeez, turns my stomach just looking at it.

Kind of opposite thinking for me. This is something a wife would say. (don't take that the wrong way please)

A true car guy (insert go cart racer guy) would say if it needs moving, load er up.

But I have owned very few cars with white interiors. Learned that car guys shouldn't own ANYTHING white.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, stakeside said:

Enough “Pickers” slamming. It’s just entertainment and it is always interesting.

There is a forum about the pickers called  “Madam Cadillac” for the slammers.

I was told “ if you can not say something nice about someone do not say a thing”.

Remember you can turn off the tube any time,

There is no need to feel like a kid that found out Santa Clause is not exist. after you found out there was still got a gift under the tree. I did not read any post slamming the 'pickers" and nobody said anything bad on this thread. If not praising the show is bad,  then i guess one could interpret it that way. 

I never said it was not interesting, or even not entertaining, just that the only reality of the show is that the show is far from reality. No need to remind anyone that they  can change the channel, I myself, usually  feel the need to after 8 to 10 minutes of watching it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, md murray said:

-No true car guy could ever put those go-cart tires on white upholstery like that- jeez, turns my stomach just looking at it.

Years ago, I had a 1912 Buick roadster gas tank for sale at the Amherst NH flea market - this was 1981 or 82, I was still in school - this tank was perfect for making a speedster and the price was right as I had sold the two brass scripts of its ends and didn’t want it. As we were packing to go get lunch, a guy came up with a reasonable offer and asked if we would hang around for him to pick it up from the field. When he gets back, he’s driving a 1966 Corvette convertible and puts this somewhat grungy old gas tank right on the WHITE passenger seat!

Im with Jack and call BS on your “car guy” bashing...  

-Well before you jump all over me allow me to put this in a different context;). When I was a kid I had a summer job building fence with a great old farmer who was a true car guy and the farm truck we used was a rusted out 73 chevy. The seats in that rusty worthless old truck had a cover and blanket on them since day one. Since the bed was rusted through on that one we were careless with tools and stakes but every other truck on the property had plywood and rubber mats protecting the bed. This guy was a world class rough neck of a man but the notion of being careless or thoughtless with a vehicle was just abhorrent in his mind. Conversely, no matter how many times I give my kid grief he still slams the car door and probably always will- he just doesn't like cars! To each his own. 

16 hours ago, 5632 said:

Well get ready.  You will only be seeing reruns.  They will not be making any new productions.

Where did you get that info from?  They are still actively advertising for potential "picks."

Terry

On 8/8/2019 at 2:55 PM, John348 said:

thanks but we are looking for clutter and a mess it makes for good TV ,

Wow! So I still have a chance at fame and fortune.

1739557478_x013.thumb.jpg.a885ce5f11b2f39956057a5499e69ba4.jpg

IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.7d1bbdd73380fca05fde1e1a06ca6d4c.JPG

My wife would be vacuuming the house and I'd be running out to the garage dumping the dirt on stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I use a fender protector most of the time.

I take the pickers as pretty good entertainment, Its kind of educational.

We are all aware that reality TV production is not real life.

Does one suppose that NCIS or that sit-com is real?

How about Bachelor or big brother?

Do you suppose that Bimbo really marries that buffoon?

Its all about the $$. So What?

I always enjoy doing some picking of my own should the occasion arise.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I take the pickers as pretty good entertainment, Its kind of educational.

We are all aware that reality TV production is not real life.

Does one suppose that NCIS or that sit-com is real?

How about Bachelor or big brother?

Do you suppose that Bimbo really marries that buffoon?

Its all about the $$. So What?

I agree with your statement totally, I was just puzzled by one poster in the thread who seemed to take it personally when the unreality of reality TV was pointed out.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Years ago, I had a 1912 Buick roadster gas tank for sale at the Amherst NH flea market - this was 1981 or 82, I was still in school - this tank was perfect for making a speedster and the price was right as I had sold the two brass scripts of its ends and didn’t want it. As we were packing to go get lunch, a guy came up with a reasonable offer and asked if we would hang around for him to pick it up from the field. When he gets back, he’s driving a 1966 Corvette convertible and puts this somewhat grungy old gas tank right on the WHITE passenger seat!

Im with Jack and call BS on your “car guy” bashing...  

I used to go to that flea market in the 70’s and early 80’s. My dad would bring his Corvettes. Usually the 58, 63 swc and the 71 Lt1, but others sometimes also. My favorite memory is driving the 58 from Goffstown to there, as a teen. Only times I was allowed to drive it were to bring it there and in local parades. My all time favorite car. Wish he still had it.  

On 8/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, JACK M said:

Kind of opposite thinking for me. This is something a wife would say. (don't take that the wrong way please)

A true car guy (insert go cart racer guy) would say if it needs moving, load er up.

But I have owned very few cars with white interiors. Learned that car guys shouldn't own ANYTHING white.

Except white Imperials Jack? 😉

AP’s would have loved the mess in Texas. I can’t tell you how many well meaning friends and family told me to call them. Knowing it was really just a show, and it would only waste my time and not really help me with the situation, I never called. 

I’m really surprised how many people thought calling them, Gas Monkey, or some other TV shows would help. 

It’s fun TV IMO, but nothing more. 

To the original OP, I can’t play the video, but hope you had fun with the show. 

• Like 1

If everything was neat and organized someone could break in and take the good stuff right away! My grandfather taught me how to avoid THAT vulnerability.

To the TV shows, I told my dog we were watching the Arts & Entertainment Channel. He keeps looking at me with that "when does the Arts part start?" look.

image.png.b4cb4ed298a10b86664129b866b03dd2.png

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, victorialynn2 said:

Except white Imperials Jack? 😉

As you know, it needed cleaning and needed to be gone.

Rear upholstery noticeably cleaner than the front.

IM002165.JPG

IM002163.JPG

IM002162.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, John348 said:

On 8/7/2019 at 4:21 PM, D Yaros said:

Where is it "documented that Danielle has her own shop and doesn't really work for them, she's an actress playing a part?"  First I have heard of that being so.  Interesting and would like to refer to the source for more info.  

That has been common knowledge for some time. It is a TV show for entertainment, and have been successful in convincing viewers it is real. Did you ever wonder how come the camera man just happens to be in both places when exactly when the phone rings?

Well, the statement that Danielle of Pickers is not an employee, but a hired actress, has bugged me for a while.  Today I did more investigation re: this assertion.

I thought, "if she is an actress she should have stage/screen credits?"  So lets check that out.  I went to the Internet Movie Database.  What I came up with is a single credit for producing a documentary in 2016.

==> https://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Danielle Colby Cushman &ref_=nv_sr_sm

What I did learn is that she was a roller derby team member and owner.  She also is a burlesque dancer.

==> http://www.kiwireport.com/picked-life-danielle-colby

Evidently what she is not is a hired actress.

Edited by D Yaros (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 6:37 PM, 5632 said:

I enjoy some of there shows and have been told many stories of those who have had experiences with them.  My question to you is, did they PAY you what you wanted or told you what to say and how to act?

They pretty much paid what we asked.  There was a bit of haggling back and forth and sometimes their prices were a bit low, but overall, it was a pretty good experience.  They did have my brother re-shoot some stuff because of camera angles or the lighting was off, but they were pretty free about what he could say.

• Like 1

OK, I think I can answer most of your questions:

The show posted an ad in a local paper.  I emailed them about my Dad's collection and they were interested.  Asked me to send a lot pf pics.  They then sent our a producer to gather more pics.  We were then chosen for the show.  The guys were very nice as was the entire crew.  It was a very long day of shooting.  All in all, they were fair, genuinely interested in our family's history and story and respectful of the items we sold.  The show did not do it justice in that they bought a lot more but didn't get through the editing process.

As for the literature collection, my siblings and I have decided that sometime next year (we hope), to have a HUGE estate sale and invite serious collectors out for the weekend to go through the collection and buy what they want.  This way, no one person gets to cherry pick the best stuff.  I plan on making an announcement on here a few months in advance so all collectors can make arrangements to visit Southern California for this event.  At this time, it may only be for the literature collection and not the hard stuff (like signs, memorabilia, etc.) but that may change as well.

• Thanks 1